Testing your glide. Are people doing this?

Old October 30th 03, 05:50 PM
David Megginson

"Paul Sengupta" writes:

I think some things are accepted by the CAA, but I'm not
sure what. As an added complication to your question, my
plane isn't certificated in the US...

Ahh -- that's a whole different game, then. Your engine is
certificated in the U.S., though, isn't it?

All the best,

David
Old October 30th 03, 09:48 PM
Paul Sengupta

Expect so. It's a Lycoming IO-360-A1B6, converted by the RAF to
an AEIO (added an oil tank thing with a ball in it that blocks off
different bits depending on which way up you are). Of course if I did
put them on, no one would ever find out I guess...but I'd rather not if
it's not "proper".

I tend to do ok running less than 75% power...actually I normally
potter around at maybe 50%...it's a 2 seater with 200hp...and I can
lean to about 5 gallons an hour. If I'm going somewhere I use more
power, maybe 7 gallons an hour. UK gallons that is. I lean until the
power starts reducing. I don't seem to get high CHT (only one gauge).

Paul

Old October 30th 03, 09:56 PM
Dashii

"David Megginson" wrote in message
"Michael Nouak" writes:

NOT TRUE!! A B-747 has about the same glide ratio as the B-707s
that I flew for 17 years, 20:1 or better. From 35-37,000'(6nm),
we could do 125nm easily.

I'm not saying you're wrong, however I am curious: You "could do 125nm
easily" how? With the engines shut down? 'Cause that's what a glide is

me. At idle you're still producing thrust, even more so a flight idle.

So, how did you achieve this ratio? In a true glide (presumable tried

out in
a sim), or at flight idle? And if the latter, what would be the

difference
in glide ratio compared to a true glide?

A real life example:

http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html

They managed about an 11:1 glideslope, but the flight crew had no
documentation on optimal glide speed for a 767 (they just guessed 220
kias), and they left the engines windmilling.

Great story and outcome, I sure hope that they didn't violate any aviation
regulations though, wouldn't want them to be accussed of being "law
breakers"! LOL

That helicopter story was great also, it took real courage to do that.

Dashii

All the best,

David

Old October 31st 03, 03:54 AM
G.R. Patterson III

David Megginson wrote:

Is that a Continental O-320 (if such a thing exists)? The Lycoming
O-320 operator's manual suggests that all Lycoming O-320's have the
carb underneath:

My Lycoming has the carb behind the engine. It is nearly directly underneath
the oil filter. The induction pipe runs forward from there into the sump.

Putting the carb back by the accessory drive would probably mess up
the distribution quite a bit. How well does your engine run lean of
peak?

Not real well. Once you get lean of peak, the engine gets real sensitive to the
mixture. Very slight adjustments make for very large rpm changes. It doesn't
shudder so much as just die.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old October 31st 03, 05:14 AM
David Lesher

David CL Francis writes:

The weight makes a difference to the rate of sink but I see no obvious
reason why it should make a big difference to the glide angle. After
all, airliners need good lift drag ratios to make them economical.

Bingo. Less drag == more glide == lower fuel consumption == fewer $$ losses..

Add to the list of "gliders" the one that deadsticked into the Canary Islands
recently after a big fuel leak..

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old October 31st 03, 11:52 AM
David Megginson

"G.R. Patterson III" writes:

Not real well. Once you get lean of peak, the engine gets real
sensitive to the mixture. Very slight adjustments make for very
large rpm changes. It doesn't shudder so much as just die.

My experience with sensitivity is the same as yours. The hardest part
of setting power with mixture only is that the mixture is at least an
order of magnitude more sensitive than the throttle -- there's only a
tiny range of movement between full power and cutoff. I generally
take the throttle friction lock off while very gently nudging the
mixture lever, then put it back on when I have the right setting.

If it dies without much shuddering, then the distribution is
probably pretty good, I'd guess (as a non-technician).

All the best,

David
Old November 1st 03, 12:56 AM
vincent p. norris

Add to the list of "gliders" the one that deadsticked into the Canary Islands
recently after a big fuel leak..

Since the past tense of "stick" is "stuck,"
shouldn't the past tense of "deadstick" be "deadstuck"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

vince norris