Spooky flights

Old January 31st 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Spooky flights

I don't know what part of the country you lived in, but we still do
all of that today, right here in the USA.

I lived in the Great American Southwest, right near a Class B.

Any time we'd like!

You're lucky.

Well, I was lucky to be born here -- I'll give you that -- but
otherwise, there's no luck involved.

Don't believe all the hype you read in France. The War on Terror (or
whatever CNN has dubbed it this week) has had virtually no impact on
most Americans. My life is exactly, precisely, 100% the same in every
way today as it was on 9/10/01.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:22:10 -0800, C J Campbell
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:51:11 -0800, Kev wrote
(in article . com):

On Jan 28, 11:34 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Have any of you ever been slightly spooked while flying alone? (And
are you prepared to admit to it?)

Spooked? Yes, but not in the way you mean. When the engine pulls
the usual "You're in the middle of nowhere, so I'm going to burp once
or twice just to get your attention", then yes I've asked ATC for
higher just in case :-)

On long over-water flights we used to say that there was nothing to worry
about unless you could see sharks following the plane.

Lake Michigan? No sharks, but it smells like fish when you get low

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 1st 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On 31 Jan 2007 06:51:53 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

In the days when the U.S. was still a free country, I liked to go to
the airport just to watch aircraft take off and land. I even liked it
when I was very young: I would insist that my parents take me to the
noisy, open observation deck so that I could see planes take off and
land. And I liked the smell of kerosene because it reminded me of
airplanes.

I don't know what part of the country you lived in, but we still do
all of that today, right here in the USA. Any time we'd like!

Yup. We're in the process of building a picnic area..er...Have to
call it a "viewing area" or parks and recreation gets involved. We're
going to move the fence and create a large viewing area with picnic
tables.. or tables that look something like picnic tables, along with
stuff for the kids to climb on, as soon as the ground thaws and dries
out enough so we don't lose any trucks.
Old February 1st 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

wrote:

[...]

Make sure they stick an industrial-grade speaker out there and relay the
CTAF.

A really big hit in places where I've seen/heard it done.

Jay B

Old February 1st 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Don't believe all the hype you read in France. The War on Terror (or
whatever CNN has dubbed it this week) has had virtually no impact on
most Americans. My life is exactly, precisely, 100% the same in every
way today as it was on 9/10/01.

I gather you don't fly around D.C. much, and it doesn't sound like you
fly commercially very often.

However, what you say makes it easier to understand how the current
President got reelected. You don't know what you've got until it's
gone.

Old February 1st 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Roger writes:

Yup. We're in the process of building a picnic area..er...Have to
call it a "viewing area" or parks and recreation gets involved.

I thought it was a free country. Why can't you call it a picnic area?

Old February 1st 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I gather you don't fly around D.C. much, and it doesn't sound like you
fly commercially very often.

You know, I've heard this a lot, since 9/11, and I'm tired of it. GA
flying in the DC area (other than in the prohibited areas around the
Mall) requires an ADIZ flight plan. You make a phone call, get a
squawk code, and go.

I know, because I've done it.

You know how that differs from the way I fly here, in the wide-open
Midwest? Here it is -- *here* is the big change: I don't have to
make the phone call, first -- period. I get my squawk code over the
radio.

If *that* is what you mean by "we've lost all of our freedoms", I
submit that you are disconnected from reality. Of course, many other
posters here have already established this fact.

As far as flying commercially goes, commercial aviation is booming.
Apparently no Americans have stopped flying commercially because of
all their "lost freedoms".

Security has been tightened -- period. It's still not as tight as it
is on Israeli or some Arab airlines, however.

However, what you say makes it easier to understand how the current
President got reelected. You don't know what you've got until it's
gone.

You really do need to read something other than internet blogs for
your news, Anthony. NOTHING has changed for 99.9% of Americans.
Nothing.

We still get up and go wherever we want, whenever we want, with
whomever we want. Mary and I can hop in my plane and fly to Wyoming
this afternoon, and no laws prevent it.

Hell, I don't even have to talk to anyone on the radio while I'm in
the air, if I don't want to.

Try doing *that* in France, freedom-boy. You won't get far.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Yup. We're in the process of building a picnic area..er...Have to
call it a "viewing area" or parks and recreation gets involved. We're
going to move the fence and create a large viewing area with picnic
tables

Hey, we're doing that here in Iowa City, too! And, yup, we couldn't
call it a "picnic area" for the same reason.

The fence was moved last summer, and we'll be adding picnic tables and
playground equipment later this spring. It's going to be a great draw
for bringing families to the airport!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
I gather you don't fly around D.C. much, and it doesn't sound like you
fly commercially very often.

You know, I've heard this a lot, since 9/11, and I'm tired of it. GA
flying in the DC area (other than in the prohibited areas around the
Mall) requires an ADIZ flight plan. You make a phone call, get a
squawk code, and go.

I know, because I've done it.

It's easy to do it once or twice, but doing it every day for years is a
different story. People get violated on a fairly regular basis, even
though they didn't do anything wrong. Equipment hicups, controller
errors, etc are all blamed on the pilot. If you live in the DC area,
there's a good chance it'll eventually get you. I've even known a head
flight instructor of a flight school, that flys in the ADIZ multiple
times a day, get violated. Here's a little story that I got off the
DCpilot's discussion group just this morning:

Subj: Latest ADIZ Fiasco for my colleague - a ROYAL screwing

The forces of darkness didn't even use vaseline this
time..........................

Departing JYO thru Chesapeake sector VFR on a Saturday last year going
to ACY, the PIC (a good friend and colleague) called 'clear of the ADIZ'
once he felt he was more than a mile outside the boundary, according to
a (current and updated) KLN-94 database. The controller responded and
advised him to 'Squawk 1200'. He did so, and the aircraft continued on
to ACY. The PIC is a 6,000 hour former military pilot with several years
in the area, and several hundred hours in this aircraft, which he owns.

According to the writeup, the controller claims "I noticed after talking
to him that he was still 1/2 mile inside". ( I think someone called the
controller on it). There was a supervisor at the station at the time. I
think (here's the conspiracy theory) that the forces of darkness called
on the DEN and claimed he was still in. That's my opinion, I could be
wrong.

PIC was advised by ACY tower, after landing, to call land line. ACY Twr
advised he had violated the ADIZ and gave him the number for PCT. Upon
calling, was advised he was still 'inside the ADIZ when he switched,
according to radar'. (I smell the forces of darkness here...........) He
asked them to save the tapes, but didn't specify radar. They only saved
the voice tape.

At the hearing, they did NOT produce a radar picture, they would NOT
accept his ASRS form (claiming it didn't apply since he had a violation
two years ago), and said it was his responsibility to prove he was
actually out. Since the controller violated him, and the PIC doesn't
have recording capability on his GPS, there's no defense. He received a
120 day suspension of his license because he did what the controller
said to do.

RECOMMENDATION: DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, offer to PCT that you're
clear of the ADIZ. Let them tell you. The sad fact of the matter is that
no matter how good things seem to be getting (and Shenandoah sector is
getting TONS better lately, IMHO), the Gubmint is out to get us, and the
FAA is the pawn of the Forces of Darkness.

Hope this helps others avoid the mess.......

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old February 1st 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

It's easy to do it once or twice, but doing it every day for years is a
different story. People get violated on a fairly regular basis, even
though they didn't do anything wrong. Equipment hicups, controller
errors, etc are all blamed on the pilot. If you live in the DC area,
there's a good chance it'll eventually get you. I've even known a head
flight instructor of a flight school, that flys in the ADIZ multiple
times a day, get violated. Here's a little story that I got off the
DCpilot's discussion group just this morning:

The forces of darkness didn't even use vaseline this
time..........................

Scary story snipped

I know it's a PIA to have to make a phone call before every flight.
It's an ineffective rule, and I would not like it much, either.

But this is far from validating MX's claim that America is no longer
"free". It's a relatively minor inconvenience that -- if it makes it
possible for us to still fly near Washington, D.C. -- seems like a
small price to pay.

The story guy's experience in the ADIZ. I have no idea what
happened with this guy, but I've learned to take these things with a
large grain of salt. I've seen too many rules broken to automatically
believe one side of the story or another.

All I know is that I found it to be real no-brainer, little different
from how I fly in Iowa.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Legality of a flight John Piloting 14 May 31st 06 12:22 AM
fuel subsidies for Angle Flight pilots sashley Piloting 17 September 11th 05 09:25 AM
Radio outage at ZLA grounds flights A Guy Called Tyketto Piloting 0 September 15th 04 05:56 AM
FAA to End part 91 Sightseeing flights? Vaughn Rotorcraft 7 November 2nd 03 01:20 AM
Ownership and passengers Roger Long Owning 30 October 11th 03 02:00 PM