How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

Old January 13th 21, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

Default How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 5:05:45 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/11/21 1:33 PM, Gregg Ballou wrote:
How could you guys not have seen these claims? If you want other sources search, it is part of the current conventional wisdom on covid. And if you believe the current conventional wisdom on covid then isn't recreational flying immoral?

I open my hangar unaided, move my aircraft outside, fly it, return, and
put it away. I may fuel it up at a self-service pump.

Explain to me how that is "immoral".

--
Dan
5J

That's cool. Bit different than launching a bunch of pure gliders on a racing task. And I don't have a problem with glider racing, I have a problem with the hypocrisy of pretending to follow the conventional covid wisdom with restrictions for all, except whatever your thing is, glider racing in this case.
Old January 13th 21, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 8:32:52 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 12:33:29 PM UTC-8, Gregg Ballou wrote:
How could you guys not have seen these claims? If you want other sources search, it is part of the current conventional wisdom on covid. And if you believe the current conventional wisdom on covid then isn't recreational flying immoral?
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/healt...ess/index.html
Health officials from Dr. Anthony Fauci on down are cautioning people that no one can dump the the face masks and social distancing behavior just because they've been vaccinated.
Why a Covid-19 vaccine doesn't mean that you can stop wearing a mask
Why a Covid-19 vaccine doesn't mean that you can stop wearing a mask
That's because even people who are themselves immune to the virus might be exposed to it and transmit it to others. It can grow in the nose, says Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
"It's possible that someone could get the vaccine but could still be an asymptomatic carrier," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician. "They may not show symptoms, but they have the virus in their nasal passageway so that if they're speaking, breathing, sneezing and so on, they can still transmit it to others."

Sorry, those AREN'T credible sources. We know Fauci has lied to us in the past, which destroyed his credibility. An "analyst" is just giving their personal opinion - note that she used the word "may" which IS NOT definitive.. I am looking for some institution such as John Hopkins, that has officially studied the issue.

Tom

I agree Fauci is beyond wrong and probably acting with malice. Fear has become a virtue and everyone wants restrictions on everyone doing everything except their exceptions. It is ******** if you believe in the church of covid stay home. If not go live as you see fit.
Old January 13th 21, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 6:17:31 PM UTC-8, Gregg Ballou wrote:

I agree Fauci is beyond wrong and probably acting with malice.

I read that on QAnon too. ;-)
How a 80-year-old public servant of such long tenure and accomplishment became a boogyman to some is beyond my understanding, though I know that the loon who starred in that "Plandemic" conspiracy movie had it in for him for catching her falsifying her research decades ago - so maybe that's how it starts - malicious wingnuts.

It's not known how the vaccines affect infection and transmissibility - that is, whether they confer sterilizing immunity. There is some belief that the mRNA vaccines don't do this, but it's not been tested. The next round of vaccines are based on different technology, so they may be different - we just don't know for sure. So, obviously procedures would need to be made with this possibility in mind. It isn't clear to me that the risk of landout generates very high risks of exposure and spread, but perhaps tasking ought to be adapted to further reduce the possibility. Also retrieve procedures. In the world we hope for in the spring and summer it is reasonable to expect a manageable environment.

It's too early to know much with certainty with so many things in play. It would be nice if we could make it work this year, but if vaccine rollout is slow and public health authorities keep restrictions in place it'll be quite a difficult situation.

IMO it's best to plan for needing to mitigate against spread - then at least you have a plan.

Andy Blackburn
9B

P.S.
Back to originally scheduled thread programming from two levels of thread drift. In my boredom stuck at home I keep ordering soaring gear in the hope that one day I'll get to use it. Hopefully our soaring vendors are keeping above water.

9B

Old January 13th 21, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:52:06 PM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 5:13:12 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Talking about thread drift I guess you all have covid on or in your mind.

Sorry I don't have the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in stock yet.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Maybe we should wait for v2.1

Get you pre-order for v2.1 before it runs out.

Richard
Old January 13th 21, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:02:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

He did so great with AZT among other failures. Fly like it is 2019 or stay home.
Old January 13th 21, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Gregg Ballou wrote on 1/13/2021 9:59 AM:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:02:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 6:17:31 PM UTC-8, Gregg Ballou wrote:

I agree Fauci is beyond wrong and probably acting with malice.

P.S.
Back to originally scheduled thread programming from two levels of thread drift. In my boredom stuck at home I keep ordering soaring gear in the hope that one day I'll get to use it. Hopefully our soaring vendors are keeping above water.

9B

He did so great with AZT among other failures. Fly like it is 2019 or stay home.

It appears Fauci was (and is) supported by the people that needed AZT [HIV drug]. We do not
benefit by attacking those that are helping:

“Ever since the 1990 demonstration, we’ve been partners in fighting illnesses and diseases, and
our enemies now are hesitant politicians and anti-science radio hosts,” he [Staley] said. “We
are now Fauci’s great defenders against the anti-science. And the world is better for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...h-coronavirus/

--
Eric Greenwell

Old January 13th 21, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 11:10:48 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Fauci IS NOT helping us by lying to us. I didn't ask him to lie - he did that all on his own. His credibility is shredded as a result. On top of that we have politicians reaching way beyond their legal authority to not only run our lives, but, in come cases, to literally kill us. Now they are demonstrating their incompetence by not inoculating people with a vaccine IN HAND (less than 35% has actually been used of the 25 million doses delivered to the states). Perfectly good vaccine doses are been THROWN AWAY by these nincompoops out of fear of government retribution. Then, they come back with the plea "Trust us, we will do better." I am with Missourians: show me.

Tom
Old January 14th 21, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

On January 12th, the first contest of the season had it's Preferential Entry Date deadline. I'm happy to report that the 2021 Senior Soaring Championship is once again a full contest with 60 pilots that will travel to Seminole-Lake Gliderport in Clermont Florida to compete. We will take good care of our pilots, crews, and volunteers. The waiting list is shorter than last year (4 verses 23), but this looks to be a good start to the season. Before the Seniors we plan to offer a handicapped Sailplane Grand Prix for 15 pilots to experience a different racing format. We did this at the end of the Seniors last year and it turned out to be a 15 race series. Everyone enjoyed it so much, we are bringing it back.

Best Regards,
Rich Owen
Contest Manager
Old January 14th 21, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Tom - you need to go easier on your CAPS LOCK key or you're going to break it.

QAnon and Breitbart conspiracy theory stories notwithstanding the actual priorities for administering vaccines are set by state public health organizations, in some cases based on guidelines set by CDC (not NIH, where Fauci works). There is a committee (AICP) appointed by the HHS Secretary that makes the recommendation. I checked, Fauci isn't on it. Here's the link: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/members/index.html

Certainly the CDC over-estimated the ability of the supply chain - particularly at the state level - to manage administering vaccines based on a complex prioritization scheme. But never fear, the incoming Biden administration is pushing (even before taking office) to set aside the priorities to ensure the that every dose get used on someone. So, more competent management is on the way with a more sensible approach - led by (drum roll) Anthony Fauci.

Oh the irony.

Andy
9B

Thread drift complete

Old January 14th 21, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 1/14/21 1:56 AM, Andy Blackburn wrote:
[...]

In Colorado, we have one of the best rates of injections given, yet less
than half have been administered. Our great governor, bluer than a
Smurf, constantly gives press conferences where he keeps saying the
vaccination rate is entirely paced by vaccine supply.

He's constantly changing the priority list, exactly two days after shots
started being given to highest risk people in nursing homes, he opened
it up to 'essential journalists', teachers, postal workers, and others.
Now it turns out, low level legislative assistants like millennial
clerks and secretaries have already been given shots, when the over 70
crowd is just starting to get theirs.

So is it Trump's fault we have a lying idiot for a governor here? BTW,
after all the preaching about masks and washing hands, our great
governor came down with the 'Rona himself.