Garmin 430

Old December 7th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430

john smith wrote:

Forget the 430, get a 480.
The 480 is WAAS certified out of the box.
Garmin has been promising WAAS for the 430 since they started selling
them.

Garmin will, in time, provide the WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series.
The upgrade will also provide additional computational horsepower for
stuff like radius-to-fix (RF) legs.
Old December 7th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In order to be approved as an IFR installation the 430 has to drive an external CDI or HSI where the G/S will be displayed.

What is the reasoning behind this requirement? (especially in light of
glass panels cockpits)

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 7th 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 12/7/2005 13:36, wrote:

Mitty wrote:

On 12/6/2005 5:25 PM,
wrote the following:

At first glance, it appears to me that the Garmin 430 provides a LOT of
useful information for relatively not much money.

It's a great box. IMHO, anyway. I don't care so much for the SL30
nav/com but the 430 is very well thought out.

I have 2 questions though....

to use the glideslope / VOR / LOC functions of the 430, do I have to
have a glide slope indicator and VOR indicator or are these bits of
information displayed on hte 430 unit?

Contrary to a previous response, the G430 does have a glide slope
function as part of the VLOC function. At least the one that I fly with
does. The 430 does not indicate either the localizer or the glide slope
on its screen however. You need to buy the separate indicator (CDI).

Garmin has a free simulator and free downloads of the manuals from their
web site. Get the sim and the manuals and you can learn the box in
maybe 5 hours. Enough to get started flying with it and certainly
enough to evaluate it thoroughly. You should have someone who knows the
430 in the right seat for the first few flights IMHO.

Is this one piece of equipment enough to enable my 172 to be instrument
certified?

No. Required flight instruments are specified in Part 91.

In terms of required navigation devices and a reasonable platform for
instrument training the 430 would be sufficient along with a
transponder. Hmmm, maybe a marker beacon receiver, too, to placate a
picky examiner?

Yes, but the OP asked about required equipment in general. The 430
certainly does not cover it all. You still need a Generator/alternator,
sensitive altimeter, inclinometer, etc. ... from 91.205

It is possible his VFR-certified airplane has all these things
already, but he didn't say that it did.

Sacramento, CA
Old December 8th 05, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jose,

What is the reasoning behind this requirement? (especially in light of
glass panels cockpits)

Well, PFDs have that indication. I guess the primary reason is a
requirement to have the indication in the direct field of view of the
pilot.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 8th 05, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jose wrote:
In order to be approved as an IFR installation the 430 has to drive an
external CDI or HSI where the G/S will be displayed.

What is the reasoning behind this requirement? (especially in light of
glass panels cockpits)

Jose

A glass panel cockpit is different than a non-glass cockpit with a GPS
box that is typically mounted off to the side. The external CDI or HSI
is in the pilots primary field of view. Plus, some approved GPS devices
have marginal displays at best. The Garmin 500/530 has a very good
display but there is no requiement that you select that map page. Also,
if that map page became your primary display you would then be unable to
select a different page during the approach, such as the flight plan page.

A full-press glass cockpit, however, separates functions where
appropriate and integrates them when appropriate. Thus, the primary GPS
box in this case is like an FMS screen in a transport aircraft and the
display array in front of the pilot is the "super HSI, moving map, ADI"
that more than satisfies the separation requirement from the primary
database box and the tactical display.
Old December 8th 05, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Mark Hansen wrote:

On 12/7/2005 13:36, wrote:

Mitty wrote:

On 12/6/2005 5:25 PM,
wrote the following:

[...]

I presumed that he was speaking only in terms of avionics. No doubt he
has to have a sensitive altimeter, attitude indicator, DG (or better)
and so forth. He heeds wings and a engine, too. ;-)