IFR Currency via Simulator; No CFI?

Old November 21st 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR Currency via Simulator; No CFI?

Because simulators are far bettter educational tools than airplanes
can possibly be?

Because there is no "taxi-depart-get there-get back-taxi" overhead?

Because the simulator can be paused and errors/procedures discussed
immediately?

Because simulators have fewer distractions of traffic, ATC noise, etc

Because simulators can get back to the beginning of an approach in
seconds instead of minutes?

Because any kind of approach at any airport can be flown?

Because instrument failures can be simulated realistically instead of
the clumsy "I'm putting a disk on yourAH"?

Describe the worst learning environment you can think of. Chances are
you will describe an aircraft in flight.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:31:41 -0800 (PST), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Nov 18, 5:07 pm, "Roger (K8RI)" wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:30:19 -0500, Ron Natalie
wrote:

Dan wrote:

I think MSFS has provisions for a "remote instructor console" via an
IP network. Does anyone offer "remote" instruction? Would this
qualify for loggable approaches?

MSFS is not legal for any sort of "countable" instruction as it
currently stands.

Nor are any other PC sims for currency with or without a CFII unless
they've changed the rules.

IIRC only OnTop and one other are valid for training with a CFI and
the hours are limited.

I've never understood the benefit of doing an IPC with the simulator
devices. The approved simulators are almost as expensive as a C-150
rental and require an instructor. It always seemed to me to be less
expensive to get a pilot friend to fly with you and wear the hood in a
C-150. Of course since I've never used such simulators I'm just
guessing.

-Robert, CFII

Old November 21st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

Dan wrote:

I think MSFS has provisions for a "remote instructor console" via an
IP network. Does anyone offer "remote" instruction? Would this
qualify for loggable approaches?

MSFS is not legal for any sort of "countable" instruction as it
currently stands.

Nor are any other PC sims for currency with or without a CFII unless
they've changed the rules.

IIRC only OnTop and one other are valid for training with a CFI and
the hours are limited.

I've never understood the benefit of doing an IPC with the simulator
devices. The approved simulators are almost as expensive as a C-150

The expensive part is hiring two guys to keep moving your chair around
to simulate the conditions in real life and a third to keep moving the
monitor.

rental and require an instructor. It always seemed to me to be less
expensive to get a pilot friend to fly with you and wear the hood in a
C-150. Of course since I've never used such simulators I'm just
guessing.

I can't imagine a plane I'd like less for and IPC than a 150. :-))
Welll...yes I can but it rates right up there in undesirability.
I'd much prefer either a Cessna 182, a Cherokee 180, or at least a
Cessna 172.

The latter part of my training was in actual right down to minimums as
were most of my flights including my first one after getting the
rating. However I was at my most proficient when I went to take the
flight test and my first instrument flights. Now days I'm no where
near that proficient.

Roger (K8RI)

-Robert, CFII