FAA Inspection for New Airworthiness

Old July 7th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PS

Default FAA Inspection for New Airworthiness

Looks like I'll need to obtain a new Experimental Airworthiness Cert.,
which will cause me to go through an FAA Inspection. I'll need to redo
a couple of placards, one being the airspeed limits with weight and
balance info. Can I create on the computer, print to size, laminate
and double stick tape in place, or does the FAA require some special
type of placard?

Anything other than placards that I need to worry about for an
inspection (condition inspection was just done).

Thanks, PS
Old July 8th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_2_]

I printed out the placards for my APIS on paper, covered them with Laminate
that extended beyone the paper and used the to hold them to the fuselage in
the cockpit. The DAR looked at them, didn't say a word, and gave me my
Special Airworthiness Certificate.

John Scott

Old July 8th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jul 7, 3:47*pm, PS wrote:
Looks like I'll need to obtain a new Experimental Airworthiness Cert.,
which will cause me to go through an FAA Inspection. I'll need to redo
a couple of placards, one being the airspeed limits with weight and
balance info. Can I create on the computer, print to size, laminate
and double stick tape in place, or does the FAA require some special
type of placard?

Anything other than placards that I need to worry about for an
inspection (condition inspection was just done).

Thanks, *PS

Just make it look professional/like what is already there and in the
flight manual. If it is just a table I doubt anybody will nit-pick
things, as long as it is legible and in the same layout as the flight
manual.

If you want to do a really nice job... your local sign store can often
do things like printing onto vinyl adhesive film using a dye sub
printer (like a Gerber Edge), this film and printing is designed
survive sun exposure. Then laminate a clear vinyl overlay to futher
protect the printing.. This gives you adhesive labels that should last
well in sunlight and the ink won't rub off etc. when hot or when
exposed to suncream on your hands/arms (yes that instantly wrecked the
printed factory placards in my DG-303). You will need to create
artwork using a drawing program (e.g. Adobe Illustrator) but I've been
able to reproduce factory artwork so it looks the same (actually
better) to the factory placards. Very small fonts won't print well on
some of the dye sub printers (they are often 300dpi and print only one
color so don't do anti-aliasing). Ask your local sign store for help.

Darryl

Old July 8th 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

For placards, scan them from the manual into (name your computer
program of choice, I used Acrobat). Fill in any blanks (N number,
serial number, weights, etc) and save the file. E-mail or take the
file on a USB stick to your local sign shop and have them print on
something tough like adhesive vinyl. Get duplicates made, they're
cheap.
If you have an LS glider, the airspeed indicator must be marked with
the various red lines.
If there is a compass installed, make a compass correction card too.
You may be senselessly required to have a pitot/static check done.
Old EXP op limits were nice and simple. Don't expect either of your
new ones and you won't be disappointed.
Jim
Old July 8th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

And, by the way, the regs say that the aircraft must have a compass
correction card, but it does not require that it be filled out.

Larry

:

Old July 8th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

At 12:07 08 July 2009, Larry Goddard wrote:
And, by the way, the regs say that the aircraft must have a compass
correction card, but it does not require that it be filled out.

Not necessarily true in this case, because the aircraft in question is
experimental. Two reasons.

1) With standard experimental operating limitations a compass is not even
required equipment for Day VFR flight

2) The requirement for a compass correction card comes from Part 23, which
doesn't apply to Experimental Aircraft.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y
Old July 8th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 8, 8:45*am, Tony Condon
wrote:
At 12:07 08 July 2009, Larry Goddard wrote:

And, by the way, the regs say that the aircraft must have a compass
correction card, but it does not require that it be filled out.

Not necessarily true in this case, because the aircraft in question is
experimental. *Two reasons. *

1) With standard experimental operating limitations a compass is not even
required equipment for Day VFR flight

2) The requirement for a compass correction card comes from Part 23, which
doesn't apply to Experimental Aircraft.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Not exactly true Tony.
These requirements are defined by the information included in the
flight manual which is
referenced in operating limitations.
Your statement may be true for Experimental homebuilt, but likely not
for other EX catagories.
FWIW
UH
Old July 8th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

Not exactly true Tony.
These requirements are defined by the information included in the
flight manual which is
referenced in operating limitations.
Your statement may be true for Experimental homebuilt, but likely not
for other EX catagories.
FWIW
UH

Hank,

true enough. I always forget about the experimental exhibition and racing
categories.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y
Old July 8th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 8, 9:53*am, wrote:
On Jul 8, 8:45*am, Tony Condon
wrote:

[...]

UH- Hide quoted text -

.... and which is typically driven by the Minimum Equipment List (MEL)
if specified in the Fligth Manual, no?

Experimental Airworthiness PS Soaring 13 July 1st 09 03:54 PM
FAA Airworthiness *grumbles* noel.wade Soaring 19 March 12th 08 04:54 PM
TBO and airworthiness Jim Stewart Owning 26 April 17th 07 05:05 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Teaching airworthiness Roger Long Piloting 28 October 2nd 03 09:08 PM