Holding pattern reporting

Old June 28th 05, 03:58 AM
Yossarian

Default Holding pattern reporting

At what point do you report holding to ATC? Upon reaching the holding fix,
or when you are established in the hold and again crossing the fix? For
example, your direction of flight makes a parallel entry appropriate. You
cross the fix and turn outbound. Should you report then or wait till you
have turned and crossed the fix again? My instructor and I disagree on
this.

The only thing I can find is in the AIM, 5-3-7-f which states "Pilots
should report to ATC the time and altitude/flight level at which the
aircraft reaches the clearance limit and report leaving the clearance
limit." To me that means you report upon crossing the fix the first time.

Or is this a difference between what the AIM says and what actual practice
is?
Old June 28th 05, 11:51 AM
Gary Drescher

"Yossarian" wrote in message
. 97.142...
At what point do you report holding to ATC? Upon reaching the holding
fix,
or when you are established in the hold and again crossing the fix?

For separation purposes, ATC presumably only needs to know that you're
there; I can't think of any reason they'd care about the details of your
maneuvering. So I'd report upon reaching the holding fix.

--Gary

Old June 28th 05, 02:44 PM
Greg Farris

I learned as soon as you cross the fix you report established and reconfirm
your altitude.

This makes most sense, because all ATC needs to know is that you are in the
right place at the right altitude. All the pretty stuff about entries and
timed legs etc only concerns our pride as pilots - as far as ATC is
concerned, if you can stay within the protected airspace (which is huge, for
GA planes) and maintain assigned altitude, the hold has done its job.

G Faris

Old June 28th 05, 08:53 PM
Bob Gardner

AIM 5-3-3 says that the "time and altitude of flight level upon reaching a
holding fix or point to which cleared" should be made without ATC request.
In some cases, ATC may be waiting for your report of crossing the holding
fix to enter the hold before issuing a clearance to another aircraft...if
you wait until you have completed an entry, or a turn in the hold, you are
just screwing up the timing for someone else.

Bob Gardner

. 97.142...

Old June 28th 05, 11:58 PM
Stubby

What is the "time". "Now" that is, the time of my utterance, seems
sufficient. What am I missing in your AIM quote?

Bob Gardner wrote:
AIM 5-3-3 says that the "time and altitude of flight level upon reaching a
holding fix or point to which cleared" should be made without ATC request.
In some cases, ATC may be waiting for your report of crossing the holding
fix to enter the hold before issuing a clearance to another aircraft...if
you wait until you have completed an entry, or a turn in the hold, you are
just screwing up the timing for someone else.

Bob Gardner

"Yossarian" wrote in message
. 97.142...

At what point do you report holding to ATC? Upon reaching the holding
fix,
or when you are established in the hold and again crossing the fix? For
example, your direction of flight makes a parallel entry appropriate. You
cross the fix and turn outbound. Should you report then or wait till you
have turned and crossed the fix again? My instructor and I disagree on
this.

The only thing I can find is in the AIM, 5-3-7-f which states "Pilots
should report to ATC the time and altitude/flight level at which the
aircraft reaches the clearance limit and report leaving the clearance
limit." To me that means you report upon crossing the fix the first time.

Or is this a difference between what the AIM says and what actual practice
is?

Bill Plummer, BBN 1971 - 1980
Old June 29th 05, 02:04 AM
Yossarian

you're supposed to say the number of minutes past the hour that you cross
the fix. "cessna 1234 seal beach 37 [minutes past the hour] holding at
4000"

Stubby wrote in
:

Old June 29th 05, 08:50 PM
Bob Gardner

"Now" is fine, providing that you are a good enough multitasker to be on top
of any required turn. However, because timing is one of the requirements of
a holding pattern (adjust outbound to make inbound one minute), "now"
suffers in comparison to "at oh-five past the hour," which should trigger a
stop-watch hack by the pilot. "Now" certainly serves the purpose of letting
the controller clear the next guy.

Bob Gardner

Bob Gardner wrote:
AIM 5-3-3 says that the "time and altitude of flight level upon reaching
a holding fix or point to which cleared" should be made without ATC
request. In some cases, ATC may be waiting for your report of crossing
the holding fix to enter the hold before issuing a clearance to another
aircraft...if you wait until you have completed an entry, or a turn in
the hold, you are just screwing up the timing for someone else.

Bob Gardner

. 97.142...

Old June 29th 05, 09:06 PM
Stubby

Bob Gardner wrote:
"Now" is fine, providing that you are a good enough multitasker to be on top
of any required turn. However, because timing is one of the requirements of
a holding pattern (adjust outbound to make inbound one minute), "now"
suffers in comparison to "at oh-five past the hour," which should trigger a
stop-watch hack by the pilot. "Now" certainly serves the purpose of letting
the controller clear the next guy.

Do controllers put that time into a computer which assists in
separation? Are we assuming VFR?
Old July 1st 05, 09:15 PM
Bob Gardner

Sorry about the delay in replying. The controller need not enter the time or
even think about it...timing the holding pattern is the pilot's
responsibility. If the controller's flow plan has another plane
approaching/descending to the same holding fix, all he needs is the report
of entering. I think the time report is just for the audio tape.

And, of course, there is no such thing as a VFR holding pattern. In my
experience, if ATC wants me to kill time when VFR they will tell me to stay
clear of the airspace that I wanted to enter and circle. Where and how is up
to me.

I remember one night way back when, when I was arriving at Reno for the air
races and it was after dark. Everybody was VFR, and ATC had us all hanging
around in the vicinity of the VOR with no other separation than that we
imposed on ourselves...lotta plane-to-plane chatter about altitudes and
general direction from the VOR.

Bob Gardner