Zimbabwe gliding facilities ?

Old September 14th 04, 05:20 PM
not@top-post

Default Zimbabwe gliding facilities ?

Hi,

I used to visit Zimbabwe for gliding facilities.
The best weather is starting now.
There were facilities in Gweru [midlands gliding club]:
Harvey Quail, Paul Cooper ...etc. , and facilities in Harare.

Now when I phone previously valid numbers, they are all
'native' occupants. Have all the 'whites' fled ?

If there are still some gliding facilities, I'd make a journey and
combine it with visiting an old friend who still lives there -- he
is far from the previous gliding sites and wouldn't know what's
happened re. gliding.

Thanks for any answers/advice, possibly also emailed to:
easlab AT absamail . co . za

== Chris Glur.

Old September 15th 04, 06:25 PM
Michael Stringfellow

Chris:

I can't answer your question directly, but I was in the area recently
visiting family. I have distant relatives who are now farming in Zambia
after they were forcibly removed from Zimbabwe as well as some business
associates who still have contacts there.

Zimbabwe's economy has basically collapsed and the local currency is in
freefall. Conditions there are so difficult that basics such as food and
fuel are in short supply and spares for vehicles are hard to come by.
Maintaining and flying private aircraft, especially recreational ones like
gliders, is now virtually impossible. Just about anyone who is able to has
left the country. Poor Zimbabweans are flooding illegally into South Africa
and Zambia (I personally met some of these myself in Livingstone). Those
with more resources are relocating into South Africa, Zambia, Australia,
Britain, the USA and even Nigeria and Angola.

Apart from South Africa and Namibia, there are vitrtually no gliders in
sub-Saharan Africa. (I am not aware of any soaring in Botswana, but I have
heard rumours that there may be a glider or two in Zambia). This is a pity,
because there are some of the best soaring conditions in the world. A few
weeks ago in mid winter, there were cumulus with bases above 6,000 feet AGL
as far as the eye could see. Soaring birds were having a great time.

Maybe some of our Jo'burg corespondents could enlighten us more.

Mike

ASW 20 WA

Old September 15th 04, 09:41 PM
Bruce Greeff

Zimbarbaria is slowly returning to the iron age. At the moment basic foodstuffs
are in better supply but the chances of recreational flying are close to zero.

There is a steady flow to South Africa of what GA aircraft remain. (when there
is fuel to transport them)

Not aware of any soaring in Zim. Bread basket to basket case in twenty short years.

Namibia and South Africa are doing OK on the soaring front.

Old September 15th 04, 09:57 PM
RHWOODY

I have gone to Bitterwasser in the
country of Namibia for the past 7
seasons - have many long flights
including 18 flights of 1000 km +
and will go again this season. The
facilities are fantastic as is the flying
and service.
Try www.bitterwasser.com for more
information
Old September 15th 04, 11:03 PM
Ian Johnston

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:25:41 UTC, "Michael Stringfellow"
wrote:

: (I am not aware of any soaring in Botswana, but I have
: heard rumours that there may be a glider or two in Zambia).

I used to share a lift to Portmoak every week with a pilot who got his
gliding licence in Zambia, where he was an inspector of school and,
effectively, Chief Flying Instructor (power) for the whole country. He
learned in a Doppelraab ... I wonder if it's still around?

Ian

Old September 28th 04, 05:22 AM
John Roake

Another video from the IGC's membership promotion committee.

Called "Black Sands - White Wings", it has taken two years to produce. Three
sailplanes set out on an adventure to see how far they can fly using New
Zealand's westerly winds and the very low sand dunes of the west coast of
New Zealand's North Island. They exceed 250kms with 90% of time at heights
of around 500ft. Crossing river mouths and harbours entrances, it is nail
biting stuff!

$US20 post paid for a DVD COPY. Order by email from John ROAKE
with either Visa or MasterCard or cash by post will be
acceptable to 79 Fifth Avenue, Tauranga, New Zealand