any USAF jets located close to/in Bavaria?

Old September 14th 04, 10:23 AM
Llama Thumper

Default any USAF jets located close to/in Bavaria?

I'm currently in Bavaria and since I've seen (and heard.... the sonic
booms?) a couple of jets fly around (presumably USAF?), I was
wondering if there was any military airfield nearby with some
detachment that I could plane spot at. There's a list of bases under:
http://www.globemaster.de/germanybases.html
but the ones closest to me (ETIH) all seem to be "army aviation
fields" which means they are only for choppers and the like?

oh, and one more question... if I stop somewhere nearby and take out
my photo camera to make a pic of a jet in the air, am I going to get
picked up by MP? plane spotting isn't a crime, or?
Old September 15th 04, 03:56 AM
Leadfoot

"Llama Thumper" wrote in message
om...
I'm currently in Bavaria and since I've seen (and heard.... the sonic
booms?) a couple of jets fly around (presumably USAF?), I was
wondering if there was any military airfield nearby with some
detachment that I could plane spot at. There's a list of bases under:
http://www.globemaster.de/germanybases.html
but the ones closest to me (ETIH) all seem to be "army aviation
fields" which means they are only for choppers and the like?

oh, and one more question... if I stop somewhere nearby and take out
my photo camera to make a pic of a jet in the air, am I going to get
picked up by MP? plane spotting isn't a crime, or?

Only if you cross a fence saying "photography prohibited" There is a chance
someone might want to identify who you are if you are just outside the
fence. Their attitude can vary from "Officer Friendly" "What a nice hobby
you have" to the "Camo Men" just outside of area 51 in Nevada where not only
is there the "photography prohibited" sign but also the "deadly force
authorized" and who act like they are going to kick your ass into the next
county while they are exposing your film and carrying a very big gun.