scattering ashes from SGS 2-33

Old May 8th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default scattering ashes from SGS 2-33

Maybe the first thing to ask is whether they wish all of the
remains
to be dropped from the 2-33. *When a local club member was killed in a
glider accident, several of his fellow racing pilots were each given a
small container (35mm film can) to take on a cross country flight.
Each pilot enjoyed the flight and said good bye in his own way before
starting final glide home.

I have no recommendations as to hardware or procedure (although a can-
on-a-stick with a string released lid approach comes to mind...), but
remember being told about the 'sending off' of Irv Culver out of the
back of a TG-2 I believe. He was released in a thermal and they
visibly continued to climb together till the glider broke off, leaving
Irv to his thermal.

I also really like the idea of the X/C fleet deploying on a collective
scattering mission though. What a thoughtful community.

-Paul
Old May 9th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

thing73 wrote:
We have a request from a family member to scatter ashes from a
recently deceased member. I know this type of operation can be
problematic if not performed correctly. Any ideas about using the
back window of a SGS 2-33???

Hmmm...I wasn't thrilled by the proposals responding to your request.
Not enough detail to be sure-fire, seemingly.

The topic has arisen before, no doubt.

I seem to recall reading of one or two methods which seemed to be
in the area of 'can do without a black face...'
I may have misremembered, but one seemed to involve an inlet and an
outlet tube sealed into an ashes bottle (of the thin plastic soda bottle
kind), and both tubes pinched off with a flexible pipe lab clip.
With the outlet tube flying well aft of the window aperture, and the
inlet tube opening into the airstream, venturi style, the outlet clip
could be opened, and as necessary, the inlet pipe could be opened too,
to flush the remnants.

Brian W
Old May 10th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed

On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:47:10 -0500, brian whatcott
wrote:

thing73 wrote:
[...]

Are you scattering them over land or sea. When at sea it has been my
experience that putting the ashes in a paper bag and twisting the top
serves the problem of getting the ashes away from the plane, the sea
will scatter them as soon as it hits the water. On land it still might
work, but i can't guarantee that.
Old May 10th 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Ed wrote:
/snip/ When at sea it has been my
experience that putting the ashes in a paper bag and twisting the top
serves the problem of getting the ashes away from the plane, the sea
will scatter them as soon as it hits the water. On land it still might
work, but i can't guarantee that.

Hmm...releasing an intact paper bag does not exactly constitute
'scattering' does it? But I am an enthusiast for 'simplicate and add
lightness' and that method certainly qualifies in that respect.

Brian W
Old May 10th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

My pal and I worked up a simple "pant leg" system, but we had to test
it first.

Went to the local second-hand / thrift store and bought an old pair of
long pants of a thin material.
Cut off one long pant leg then tied a knot in the smaller end.
Bought some bags of corn meal, which has a similar consistency to
ashes.
Poured some of the corn meal into pant leg, rolled up the pant leg.
Jumped into my van and drove fast down an empty stretch of highway to
duplicate the intended airspeed.
My pal in the right passenger seat held tight to the knotted end of
the rolled up pant leg, placed it just outside the truck window and
with his other hand let go of the rolled up end. With the unrolled
open end of the pant leg well behind the open window the corn meal
flowed out nicely and not back into the window.
Practiced this process several times with consistent results (until we
ran out of corn meal.)

For the flight, I briefed that I would concentrate 100% on flying, and
my pal would take care of the dispersal
Safety first, as it is not yet my time to be scattered on a mountain
top.

Note also that there are some state laws regarding dispersal of
ashes.

Old May 10th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in message

Note also that there are some state laws regarding dispersal of
ashes.

Which is one of the reasons why you always remove the metal ID tag from the
ashes before disposal. ;-)

Vaughn

Old May 11th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"brian whatcott" wrote

Hmm...releasing an intact paper bag does not exactly constitute
'scattering' does it? But I am an enthusiast for 'simplicate and add
lightness' and that method certainly qualifies in that respect.

I have never tried to release ashes in flight, but I know what I would
build, if I were to do so.

Let me say that I am very familiar with ashes, as I am the one that interns
ashes in the columbarium wall at my church.

I would build a 3" PVC drain pipe about 10 inches long (should be about
right to hold the volume I work with) and make a couple plate aluminum lids
for each end on a hinge on one side and a latch on the other. The lids
would be spring loaded to pop open when the latches release. The latches
could have a string connecting the two releases, and a release string would
pull on the middle of the string between the releases. Duct tape should
hold the container fine, and it could be mounted well behind the cockpit
with the string running to the vent window. By releasing both ends, the
wind would quickly release the contents and sweep it clean out the back.
--
Jim in NC