Fiberglass Wing Cuff

Old May 14th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Fiberglass Wing Cuff

Another good source for epoxy and cloth is
http://www.shopmaninc.com/index.html

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message ...
On May 13, 5:32 pm, vontresc wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Can anyone give me some more info on the
"tooling cloth" that is mentioned in Wayne Paul's tail dolly build?

I was just going to use West Systems because I can get it locally, and
have used it in the past. I'll probably take your advice, and go with
another epoxy though.

Pete
On May 13, 5:51 pm, David Walsh wrote:

Pete,

Wayne Paul has a nice page on how to build a tail dolly, not
specifically what
you are asking about, but you might pick up some general tips.http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...lly/index.html

More specifically, check out another of Wayne's pages. On the page,
I think the "carrier links" are exactly what you are looking for.http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...rier/LWT-3.htm

And lastly, Lane Bush has a few photos of a wing cuff for a single man
rigger,
but you should still see the basic strategy. Check out the Cirrus,
Yahoo
news group, photos, #209 Project photo albums, Wing Rigger Mold.

Hope this gets you going.

Regards,
David Walsh

On May 13, 11:07 am, vontresc wrote:

Anyone got good advice on building a fiberglass wing cuff? I realized
last week that I really need to get rid of the metal wing stands with
sharp corners waiting to punch holes in my Ka-6 wings. So far my plan
was to mold the cuffs on the wing using west systems epoxy. The
question I have is what weight of cloth would you suggest, and how
many layers would be required.

Thanks

Pete

Tooling cloth is usually a much heavier cloth that minimizes the
number of layer you have to put down.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/Wicks/P...eMaterials.pdf

Look at page 56, BIAXIAL & TRIAXIAL CLOTH. You can get it up to 22 oz
per sq yard. I would guess you could get away with 3 to 4 layers of 22
oz for a wing cuff if it is fully closed and slides over the end of
the wing.
Old May 14th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 13, 8:07*am, vontresc wrote:
Anyone got good advice on building a fiberglass wing cuff? I realized
last week that I really need to get rid of the metal wing stands with
sharp corners waiting to punch holes in my Ka-6 wings. So far my plan
was to mold the cuffs on the wing using west systems epoxy. The
question I have is what weight of cloth would you suggest, and how
many layers would be required.

Thanks

Pete

I would get some 8 to 10 oz boat cloth, plain weave would be fine, a
gallon of polyester resin and a bottle of MEKP, get some core mat for
a core and use that to bulk up the laminate. Like others have said,
make sure to put a plastic tarp over the wing and pull it tight, tape
it down good and then place your felt or rubber material over the
plastic, put a plastic tarp over that and then start laying up your
glass, core-mat and glass.

At least that is my plan for the wing cuff and the the tail wheel
dolly for the I am working on.

Brad

this guy doesn't believe in fiberglass rwhughe Aviation Photos 0 February 27th 10 06:05 AM
Fiberglass revisited Lou Home Built 3 October 31st 06 12:50 PM
fiberglass tapes Lou Home Built 7 October 22nd 06 07:30 AM
Fiberglass seperation Lou Home Built 7 September 25th 06 04:03 AM
Fiberglass vs. Fabric Lou Home Built 35 July 6th 06 05:08 PM