GPS approaches with Center

Old October 17th 03, 04:10 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

No broader than the policy presently in effect.

If you can find any that are less than 3 years old, fire away. In the
early days there were a lot of them that weren't anchored to airways.

And, of course, RNAV IAPs with TAAs are a different matter.

Here ya go:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...l/3D2_gr32.pdf

That is a very old GPS approach, as indicated by the title not stating
"RNAV(GPS)."

Old October 17th 03, 04:30 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

No broader than the policy presently in effect.

If you can find any that are less than 3 years old, fire away. In the
early days there were a lot of them that weren't anchored to airways.

And, of course, RNAV IAPs with TAAs are a different matter.

Here ya go:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...l/3D2_gr32.pdf

That approach was effective 22 May 1997, and has not been amended since.
Since it is worked by your facility you should have a copy of the 8260 on
record (but then again, maybe not~)

Old October 17th 03, 04:54 PM
Greg Esres

that could be a trap using either base leg area.

Yes! The difference is greatest when approaching from the "bottom" of
the T. The AIM should be far more explicit regarding this, IMO.
Old October 17th 03, 08:41 PM
John Clonts

Greg Esres wrote in message
that could be a trap using either base leg area.

Yes! The difference is greatest when approaching from the "bottom" of
the T. The AIM should be far more explicit regarding this, IMO.

Hello Greg,

I am interested in this but am having trouble visualizing the "trap" that
you are talking about. Isn't the appropriate arrival sector obvious once
you choose the closest IAF leg? Can you show an example where it isn't?

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old October 17th 03, 10:13 PM
Greg Esres

Isn't the appropriate arrival sector obvious once you choose the
closest IAF leg? Can you show an example where it isn't?

The arrival sector is obvious, but what isn't obvious is when you're
IN the sector.

There are two requirements to be in a sector:

1) You're within the distance specified, normally 30 nm, and
2) You're within the range of bearings depicted on the chart.

Seems clear?

BUT: the distance is specified to the IAF of either the left or right
base, but the bearings are ALWAYS to the IF.

Let's assume that the FAC is 180. If, for instance, you were exactly
at the bottom of the T, the GPS bearing would show maybe a 020,
because it would be indicating towards the IAF. In actuality, the
course defining the sector is to the IF, so what you need to see is
"360". In this instance, you might conclude that you were not in the
arrival area, when you really are. I haven't yet figured out a
geometry where the reverse is true, nor do I yet see how this might
make you hit something.

Old October 18th 03, 04:33 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Give me some examples.

AIG RNAV (GPS) RWY 16
AIG RNAV (GPS) RWY 34
BCK RNAV (GPS) RWY 8

There's three in just the first 53 pages out of 627 in TPP EC3.

Your choice of words reek of tact.

Let's see, words that reek of tact would be......tactful, would they not?

Yet, when you are proven wrong, you never fess up to the fact that you

don't run
AVN or AFS or, for that matter, ATS.

Well, I certainly have no qualms about admitting I'm wrong, and I have done
so. I fail to see the connection with running AVN or AFS or ATS though. I
don't recall being proven wrong in any discussion that you've participated
in.

I work with the IAP policy, you don't.

No, I don't. But I do work with IAP reality, and it appears you do not.

Old October 18th 03, 04:41 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Why don't you contact Brad W. Rush, Deputy Manager of AVN-100. He can
tell you all you want to know about centers and TAAs.

When Brad W. Rush posts a dubious claim in this forum I'll ask him to
support it. While Mr. Rush may be able to tell me something about TAAs,
it's very unlikely he's in a position to tell me anything about ARTCCs.