Fatal accident at Ionia soaring contest

Old May 30th 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Fatal accident at Ionia soaring contest

On May 30, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:19:09 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:49:09 AM UTC-7, S. Murry wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:43:14 -0500, Jeff Casto
wrote:

Pressing the button on the camera was what caused the photo...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

At 17:17 30 May 2012, Paul Remde wrote:
I have uploaded a nice photo of Lynn, Tim and Megan Gossfeld photo..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/remde/7...in/photostream

I don't know who took the photo. *It was given to me after the contest.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Do we know the cause?

--
Stefan Murry

Stefan, you should have tried harder to resist...
I hope we can learn some more details soon, as I am sure there were many eye witnesses. In particular, if this was a case of trying to stretch the glide to make it back to the field or yet another unexplained, mysterious dreaded stall spin which keeps claiming the most experience pilots.

Ramy

wrote:

[...]

Reports say he may have been thermalling low over the field, the speculation being that it was a stall/spin from there. Prayers and thoughts for all involved.

JP

I wonder if the glider was carrying water?
could that be a factor trying to make a low save and wanting to hold
ballast?

Brad
Old May 30th 12, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wonder if the glider was carrying water?
could that be a factor trying to make a low save and wanting to hold
ballast?

Brad

Again speculation but that is very plausible... Hopefully someone that was there can tell us what they know.

JP
Old May 30th 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

[...]

Nah- If you're low, just land with the water and go again.
Much safer and quicker to get back up.
UH
Old May 30th 12, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Adams

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:09:08 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I am deeply saddened to have just learned of a fatal accident at the Ionia
soaring contest. I don't want to post details because I don't know if the
family has been notified. Contact me for details. I am not at the contest
but have talked briefly with contest personnel.
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...fatal_gli.html
http://www.sentinel-standard.com/bre...forced-to-land
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...o-glider-crash

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Fly safe,

Paul Remde

It is eerie in hindsight to read TA's Soaring Cafe report for May 28th, especially so, the third paragraph.

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/05/rain-...ay-2-at-ionia/

Gary Adams -GB

Old June 1st 12, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

If you knew Tim Gossfeld and his family, please leave a note on his
guestbook:
http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/star...69227&cid=full

His obituary is below.

Gossfeld, Timothy age 53, of Chanhassen, died unexpectedly May 29. Retired
after 26 years with the F.B.I. Tim was the Director of Corporate Security at
Thomson Reuters. Preceded in death by his father, Frederick Gossfeld.
Survived by his loving wife of 23 years, Lynn; daughter, Megan; mother,
Kathleen Gossfeld; sisters, Elizabeth Mancuso, Jennifer (Paul) Casey and
Rosemary Gossfeld; brother, Jon (Sue) Gossfeld; many nieces & nephews.
Memorial Mass Saturday, 11 AM, with visitation 1 hour before at St. Hubert
Catholic Church, 8201 Main St., Chanhassen. In lieu of flowers, memorials
preferred for the Megan Gossfeld Education Fund, checks payable to Lynn
Gossfeld. www.Washburn-McReavy.com Eden Prairie Chapel 952-975-0400
Published in Star Tribune from May 31 to June 1, 2012

Fly safe,

Paul Remde