why is Vne a TAS?

Old September 12th 05, 06:06 PM
Stefan

Mike Rapoport wrote:

I don't think that there is an aiplane that can reach the coffin
corner that even has a Vne.

Airplanes probably not. Aircraft, yes.

Stefan

Old September 12th 05, 07:42 PM
Stefan

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Which ones?

I had thought of some older gliders which have pretty low Vne. After I
had hit the send button, it dawned to me that they also have a pretty
low stall speed, though...

Stefan
Old September 12th 05, 08:04 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Stefan" wrote in message
Mike Rapoport wrote:

Which ones?

I had thought of some older gliders which have pretty low Vne. After I had
hit the send button, it dawned to me that they also have a pretty low
stall speed, though...

Stefan

I was thinking of sailplanes too. Hard to imagine a sailplane with a
critical Mach number equating to a IAS of 45kts or so even at FL500.

The key to this issue (IMHO) of Vne is that it may be based on any one of a
number of limiting factors, some of which are related to CAS and some to
TAS. The airplanes where Mach number is an issue (that I am familiar with)
have a Vmo and Mmo but don't use a Vne.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 12th 05, 09:44 PM
Stefan

Morgans wrote:

If you want to see what flutter is, look he
http://www.dg-download.de/Videos/dg-...terversuch.mpg

Ooooohh, THAT looks VERY scary! I had never seen such large amplitude
flutter before. I had always seen small buzzing types of flutter. I hope I
never see either kind, except in a video.

It was a test flight with a specially reinforced glider. Any production
glider would have lost its wings pretty quickly.

Stefan
Old September 12th 05, 09:58 PM
Montblack

http://www.dg-download.de/Videos/dg-300-flatterversuch.mpg

Ooooohh, THAT looks VERY scary! I had never seen such large amplitude
flutter before. I had always seen small buzzing types of flutter. I hope
never see either kind, except in a video.

....when those new piezoelectric wings short circuit. g

BTW, if flutter happens what do you glider pilots do:
Nose up?
Nose down?
Start speaking German?

Montblack

Old September 12th 05, 10:00 PM
Stefan

Montblack wrote:

BTW, if flutter happens what do you glider pilots do:
Nose up?
Nose down?
Start speaking German?

Use the chute.

Stefan

Old September 13th 05, 12:30 AM
john smith

BTW, if flutter happens what do you glider pilots do:
Nose up?
Nose down?
Start speaking German?

They say the same thing we do, only in German it's one word instead of
two and two syllables instead of one.
Old September 13th 05, 02:30 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Montblack" wrote:

("Morgans" wrote)
If you want to see what flutter is, look he
http://www.dg-download.de/Videos/dg-300-flatterversuch.mpg

Ooooohh, THAT looks VERY scary! I had never seen such large amplitude
flutter before. I had always seen small buzzing types of flutter. I hope
never see either kind, except in a video.

...when those new piezoelectric wings short circuit. g

BTW, if flutter happens what do you glider pilots do:
Nose up?
Nose down?
Start speaking German?

Montblack

Bail out! Catastrophic flutter can occur and destroy the structure in
less than 2 seconds.