Overnight stop near AUS & ELP

Old November 23rd 04, 02:30 AM
ROBIN FLY

Default Overnight stop near AUS & ELP

I am planning a flight from Los Angeles to New Orleans for some much needed R&R
during holidays. My wife does not like to fly more than two 4-hour legs a day,
so my plan is to fly from EMT to ELP for fuel & lunch than to AUS overnight.
Next morning we continue to NEW. For return trip, we will stop at AUS for fuel
& lunch and ELP overnight. However, both AUS & ELP are big airports that I
have never been to. Are they GA friendly? Can you recommend some GA friendly
airports in their areas for overnight stop? Thanks.
Old November 23rd 04, 05:36 PM
Chris Luton

AUS is pretty GA friendly. You should have no problems. If you want to avoid
the Class C, you could land at Georgetown (GTU), 30nm north. Fewer
accomodations, but a little less hassle.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:27 PM
Dave S

Why AUS.. if location is not 100% critical, then you can land at New
Braunsfels (uncontrolled) and spend the night in a scenic tourist town.
They have fuel and cars, and if you plan ahead can get reservations to
someplace nice to sleep. The airport is close in and accessible.

Austin's GA portion is off the beaten path and from what I hear,
expensive. I've never flown there, but when on the ground up there I
have driven around to see the GA areas.

San Antonio Stinson or San Antonio International (I've done Raytheon at
SAT twice before) are good options too, and not much further out of the
way from a X-C perspective.

Dave

Old December 12th 04, 09:27 AM
nobody

AUS is GA friendly but courtesy cars are rare and fuel is expensive. Plenty
of rental cars available and lots of things to do for an evening in AUS. I
would recommend the hotel at T82 instead of AUS. It actually overlooks the
ramp. Its about 64 miles west of AUS. My wife and I go here for $100.00
hamburgers. Great little town if you have a few hours. Good restaurants,
arts and crafts, antiques, candy shops, a WWII naval museum and friendly
people.

Related links,
http://www.hangarhotel.com/
http://www.airnav.com/airport/T82