Validation problem

Old December 12th 04, 03:20 PM
Todd Pattist

Papa3 wrote:

high-powered XP laptop I figured I'd be all set. However, it
looks like I'm screwed.
2. Would love to boot DOS from a floppy, except that the floppy drive
is SOOO 1990's; ie. there isn't one on this machine.

3. Not sure that I have the energy to create a DOS partition on my
hard-drive

How about a bootable CD with DOS creating a ram drive? Nero will write
a bootable CD. Then you just need to get the file off the ram drive.
There are some DOS to USB methods and drivers out there (try
bootdisk.com) that might talk to a USB pen drive or you could run DOS
network drivers and send it to another machine.

(I hope this post gets out, it's my first in a new Mozilla Thunderbird
installation)
Todd
Old December 12th 04, 03:57 PM
Papa3

Thanks to all. I opted for plan C - find someone running an older NT
machine. Turns out we have a bunch of old, worthless laptops in the
office. I'm picking one up on Monday.

Regards,

P3

Old December 13th 04, 11:23 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I haven't been following every post in this thread so I may be off base, but
if you want to download IGC approved flight logs from a Volkslogger, why not
use the StrePla software that came with the Volkslogger. SeeYou should be
able to download valid flight logs also. There is no need for a DOS
program.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

oups.com...

Old December 14th 04, 09:20 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article 7wpvd.494954$wV.355049@attbi_s54, Paul Remde
writes
Hi,

I haven't been following every post in this thread so I may be off base, but
if you want to download IGC approved flight logs from a Volkslogger, why not
use the StrePla software that came with the Volkslogger. SeeYou should be
able to download valid flight logs also. There is no need for a DOS
program.

Paul Remde

Hi Paul,

The issue was one of validating a file previously downloaded.

While Strepla may be able to do this, it's not much help to a third
party (such as competition organisers etc.) if they have to go and buy a
copy. Asking the pilot to supply a copy would involve copyright theft,
so is not an answer.

The IGC Flight Recorder specification requires manufacturers to supply
specific freeware. In this instance, a DLL which can be used with the
shell program available free from the IGC website, and in the future
with any third party software.

All manufacturers were required to supply this by 1st July 2004 and yet
here we are in December and the only manufacturer that has complied gave
up manufacturing Flight Recorders some time ago.

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."
Old December 18th 04, 01:33 AM
Papa3

Hi Paul,

The issue was one of validating a file previously downloaded.

While Strepla may be able to do this, it's not much help to a third
party (such as competition organisers etc.) if they have to go and

buy a
copy. Asking the pilot to supply a copy would involve copyright

theft,
so is not an answer.

I want to thank Tim for several offline communications helping to work
around this problem. However, it has raised another question - do
Strepla and SeeYou currently have the source code for the VALI
(checksum) algorithms used by the manufacturers? Or, to put it another
way, if I download from the logger using application a (e.g. Cambridge
download utility) which creates the G-Record, can I then Validate using
another third party's application? Obviously, that would be the goal
of supplying the DLLs, but I'm not clear on whether that is currently
the case...

P3

Old December 18th 04, 02:51 AM
Papa3

Just to clarify, I did RTFM, at least the online Help from SeeYou. It
seems to imply that the only Validation routine it has is one for "G
Records created by SeeYou" and those available from G7toWin for Garmin
devices. That would lead me to believe that it doesn't know to call
the DLLs for other manufacturers, though I'm sure that was what the IGC
was originally hoping by specifying the naming convention for these
DLLs (ie. "if header record contains FR manufacturer code of VL, then
call DLL VLxxx-gcs ... or whatever the precise syntax is). I'm just
wondering if any of the uber-programs like Strepla and SeeYou actually
do this.

Since I do validations after the fact (ie. I'm the State Record Keeper,
so I wasn't there when the files were first downloaded), this problem
is becoming a real headache.

P3

GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 03:54 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 07:59 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM
Problem: Ground Speed Estimate with Volkslogger and WinPilot RamyYanetz Soaring 3 August 26th 03 03:06 PM
Wanted clever PA32 engineer's thoughts - Gear extention problem on Piper Lance [email protected] Owning 5 July 22nd 03 12:35 AM