Air-dams/strakes on Stealth AC

Old November 12th 03, 04:36 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Mike Zaharis" wrote in message
om...
"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
(Grantland) wrote:

Do they do without?

Note the complete lack of them on any stealth planes in evidence.

While
adding some aerodynamic advantages, they also blow the stealth
characteristics.

You men like the 8 inchers added to the F-22 wings?

Funny, none of the official photos from the first production batch

seem
to have anything like this. Maybe they stuck some on for one or two
flight tests, but they're sure not there on current F-22s.

The wing parts were added to correct the wash across the tail occuring

for
the "entire flight envelope". Unless Lockmart has addressed the tail

crack
issue in a different manner, the 8 inch wing "reflectors" have to be

there.

According to Flight International from about a month ago, this issue
was addressed by switching one of the tail spars from CF to Titanium.
I didn't see any mention of strakes/reflectors. Sounds like the
F/A-18 solution - a bit of a non-starter for an aircraft that is being
sold as a low-observable. The same article stated that the F-22 was
meeting its low-observability goals.

So, unless the air force was all but lying to the reporter, or the
reporter muffed the story(a possibility I certainly won't rule out),
it looks like they did find an alternative solution.

As the program keeps the F-22 in a dog house when on the ground, we can't
know yet.

Old November 12th 03, 06:34 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

The wing parts were added to correct the wash across the tail occuring

for
the "entire flight envelope". Unless Lockmart has addressed the tail

crack
issue in a different manner, the 8 inch wing "reflectors" have to be

there.

"Have to be there" but aren't.

How do you know they aren't there Irby?

Not in *any* of the recent photos.

There are no recent photos, Irby. The F-22's live in dog houses when
outside, so noone can take a picture.

Old November 12th 03, 09:10 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

The F-22's live in dog houses when
outside, so noone can take a picture.

So they keep them indoors when they fly?

What an idiot.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old November 12th 03, 10:57 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:34:05 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

The wing parts were added to correct the wash across the tail occuring

for
the "entire flight envelope". Unless Lockmart has addressed the tail

crack
issue in a different manner, the 8 inch wing "reflectors" have to be

there.

"Have to be there" but aren't.

How do you know they aren't there Irby?

Not in *any* of the recent photos.

There are no recent photos, Irby. The F-22's live in dog houses when
outside, so noone can take a picture.

Sorry but you're full of ****. There's an in flight photo of Raptor
018 in Florida. No strakes or "deflectors" whatsoever.
Old November 12th 03, 11:41 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:34:05 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

The wing parts were added to correct the wash across the tail

occuring
for
the "entire flight envelope". Unless Lockmart has addressed the tail

crack
issue in a different manner, the 8 inch wing "reflectors" have to be

there.

"Have to be there" but aren't.

How do you know they aren't there Irby?

Not in *any* of the recent photos.

There are no recent photos, Irby. The F-22's live in dog houses when
outside, so noone can take a picture.

Sorry but you're full of ****. There's an in flight photo of Raptor
018 in Florida. No strakes or "deflectors" whatsoever.

There is what dippy?

For a guy who couldn't find his ass with both hands, you talk a lot of
smack, Ferrin.

Perhaps the wing dams were replaced with a titanium tail, but the only place
I have seen that is at ram. What I am posting is public sector in the news
type information.

Old November 12th 03, 11:57 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

The F-22's live in dog houses when
outside, so noone can take a picture.

So they keep them indoors when they fly?

When they fly?

You don't know much about photgraphing airplanes do you, Irby.

What an idiot.

We are discussing an 8 inch addition to each wing, as reported in the press.

Old November 13th 03, 01:07 AM
redc1c4

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

The wing parts were added to correct the wash across the tail occuring

for
the "entire flight envelope". Unless Lockmart has addressed the tail

crack
issue in a different manner, the 8 inch wing "reflectors" have to be

there.

"Have to be there" but aren't.

How do you know they aren't there Irby?

Not in *any* of the recent photos.

There are no recent photos, Irby. The F-22's live in dog houses when
outside, so noone can take a picture.

check out: http://www.f-22raptor.com/index_gallery.php

it's the official F/A 22 web site, and although i'm just a lowly ground
pounder, i didn't see anything that looked like an air-dam/strake in the
pictures they show....

redc1c4,
"Scouts Out!"
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old November 13th 03, 02:20 AM
Mike Zaharis

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message ...
"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:34:05 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

[...]

The article is entitled "Ready or Not . . . ", and is in the September
9, 2003 issue of Flight International. It has a rather good
discussion of the Raptor's software woes, but also claims that the
tail buffet problem was being solved by the Ti rear spar.

The only place I've heard of any 8-inch strake is from your posts.
Can you provide a source (print or internet)? The only thing that I
can find to support this is a May 9, 2002 Aviation Week article that
indicates that it was being "considered" (
http://www.aviationnow.com/content/p...0506/aw26b.htm
). It describes the fence as the "least preferred approach."
Interestingly enough, that article also confirms that the Ti spar was
being used. From that article:

"They also speculate that previously-approved modifications for
increasing vertical tail strength may play a role in alleviating the
buffeting issue. The changes, in which a titanium spar is substituted
for a composite one, will start with ship No. 18, which begins final
assembly in the next month or so. The changes were made to allow
rolling maneuvers when the Raptor is in a ferry condition carrying
four 600-gal. external tanks and weapons. "

Since then, the Flight International article indicates that the
Titanium rear spar fix has been cleared above 10,000 feet, and will be
tested below that altitude to clear it at all altitudes.

Public sector enough for you?
Old November 13th 03, 02:32 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Mike Zaharis" wrote in message
om...
"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:34:05 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

[...]

I havn't seen the magazine, but I'll take your word for it.

The only place I've heard of any 8-inch strake is from your posts.
Can you provide a source (print or internet)? The only thing that I
can find to support this is a May 9, 2002 Aviation Week article that
indicates that it was being "considered" (
http://www.aviationnow.com/content/p...0506/aw26b.htm
). It describes the fence as the "least preferred approach."

I'd say that is probably true, but there was never any information asd to
whether that solution worked. I'd go so far as to say the 8-inch strake
failed and the program is on to trying solution number trhee for the
problem. Word from the flightline is that "no two Lockmart aircraft" are
the same.

Interestingly enough, that article also confirms that the Ti spar was
being used. From that article:

I thank you for offering some information to this thread.

"They also speculate that previously-approved modifications for
increasing vertical tail strength may play a role in alleviating the
buffeting issue. The changes, in which a titanium spar is substituted
for a composite one, will start with ship No. 18, which begins final
assembly in the next month or so. The changes were made to allow
rolling maneuvers when the Raptor is in a ferry condition carrying
four 600-gal. external tanks and weapons. "

In that case there is no confirmation that the spar works and we will not
know for about 300 hours of flight if fix numbewr three is even addressing
the real problem. Being that there was a lot of effort put into keeping a
Nyquist shake (s-plane) of the airframe before going to production, there is
still a real possibility the tail cracks and the tail boom problems are
actually intermodal vibration.

Since then, the Flight International article indicates that the
Titanium rear spar fix has been cleared above 10,000 feet, and will be
tested below that altitude to clear it at all altitudes.

Hours are what will give the answer.

Public sector enough for you?

Close enough, and far superior to the failed strake attempt to solve the
tail crack/tail boom stiffness issue.