A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Andy McQuigg

Old February 22nd 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

“You look marvelous”, was Andy’s greeting.............he was talking to Pat, not me, but It was always a pleasure to see him,
Go easy, Eastern Air.........hope to see you under a developing Cu, one of these days!
JJ
Old February 23rd 20, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Curt Lewis - 95
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

I've never laughed so hard at a pilots' meeting. Farewell Andy.

Curt Lewis - 95
Old February 25th 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Schrader[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

I'm sad to hear of his passing... Andy used to love to talk about his experiences soaring in Florida with me and I remember he had nothing good to say about the Ionia Curse or the lake effect that can kill things at HHSC sometimes... but he loved soaring or being a CD there anyways. He took me to lunch on more than one occasion and tried his darnedest to get me to buy an LS-3 from him, if only I had money at the time. He didn't mind I was 27 and broke for all practical purposes and in no position to buy a glider from him. Glad to say I knew him.

- CN Pilot Mostly
Old February 25th 20, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:42:03 PM UTC-5, Christopher Schrader wrote:
I'm sad to hear of his passing... Andy used to love to talk about his experiences soaring in Florida with me and I remember he had nothing good to say about the Ionia Curse or the lake effect that can kill things at HHSC sometimes... but he loved soaring or being a CD there anyways. He took me to lunch on more than one occasion and tried his darnedest to get me to buy an LS-3 from him, if only I had money at the time. He didn't mind I was 27 and broke for all practical purposes and in no position to buy a glider from him. Glad to say I knew him.

- CN Pilot Mostly

One of Andy's jokes;

He flew around the world for Evergreen in 747's

He would say the women were beautiful in Thailand. He had other things to say about US women... Then, to the US, i.e., Alaska.... As he's sitting in a bar in Alaska, he wants to give his date a compliment. So, being the gentleman that Andy was, he says to his date; NICE TOOTH!
Old February 25th 20, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 1:46:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Andy flew his final glide last Wednesday night. You will be missed EA!

Whenever we have more information, we will pass information about his memorial service.
Enrique Mertins
KO

Thanks to Enrique Mertins ......

On Sunday, we had a small get together at Seminole Lake Gliderport. 02/23/2020

We all gave a salute to Andy...

Thanks, Enrique for remembering our friend.

Gary
ASW27b "SQ"
Old February 25th 20, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 12:46:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Whenever we have more information, we will pass information about his memorial service.
Enrique Mertins
KO

Thanks for letting us know, Enrique. The world is a sadder and less colorful place without EA. Andy was one of the legendary soaring characters and his stories will still be going around the fire many years from now. One of Andy's regular gags as a CD was to have his phone ring during the pilot's meeting. He would carry on an amusingly fraught conversation in which it was clear he was on the losing end of some sort of embarrassing legal issue. Upon hanging up, he would explain: "That was my ex-wife, otherwise known as "the plaintiff"." Andy was a cut-up, but he was a sweet soul as well. At Cordele, nearly every afternoon, during that short quiet time when everyone was out on course, Andy would gather up the crew kids and take them for ice cream. He's missed already.
Old February 25th 20, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:44:19 PM UTC-5, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:42:03 PM UTC-5, Christopher Schrader wrote:

- CN Pilot Mostly

One of Andy's jokes;

He flew around the world for Evergreen in 747's

He would say the women were beautiful in Thailand. He had other things to say about US women... Then, to the US, i.e., Alaska.... As he's sitting in a bar in Alaska, he wants to give his date a compliment. So, being the gentleman that Andy was, he says to his date; NICE TOOTH!

I only saw Andy speechless one time.
At Cordele many years ago, he came along side as we were towing out to the grid(he was the CD). He gave the fine young lady walking the wing a full, slow look over, top to bottom.
Then he quietly said "can I spank you?".
A couple seconds later she replied "No, but I'll spank you".
He thought a few seconds, and then just drove off.
We fell over laughing.
He was one of a kind.
UH
Old February 25th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

Most of my EA quotes can't be repeated here. And my memory of the one that can is imperfect. Maybe someone can help me out:

"There are only three things I'm afraid of:
1. ____________.
2. My ex-wife's lawyer.
3. A PIK in the rain."

I met Andy in the 70s at the old August Cordele regional. I thought it was funny that this adult was behaving so much like one of my fraternity brothers. Fortunately or unfortunately, Andy never "grew up". I think the last time I saw him was at the 2008 Cordele Nats when he was CD. He wasn't well then. Very sorry to hear he's gone. Life was always a little more interesting when he was at a contest.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old February 25th 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 11:34:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Most of my EA quotes can't be repeated here. And my memory of the one that can is imperfect. Maybe someone can help me out:

"There are only three things I'm afraid of:
1. ____________.
2. My ex-wife's lawyer.
3. A PIK in the rain."

I met Andy in the 70s at the old August Cordele regional. I thought it was funny that this adult was behaving so much like one of my fraternity brothers. Fortunately or unfortunately, Andy never "grew up". I think the last time I saw him was at the 2008 Cordele Nats when he was CD. He wasn't well then. Very sorry to hear he's gone. Life was always a little more interesting when he was at a contest.

Chip Bearden
JB

1. Lightning
Old February 25th 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

Default Andy McQuigg

On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 1:46:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Enrique Mertins
KO

The Captain and his 27

https://imgur.com/Ss4UqbI

Over Palm Beach out of Barry Soaring...... Circa 2001-2

Gary
ASW27b "SQ"