Instrumentation question

Old March 30th 20, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Instrumentation question

Thinking about glider projects other than flying...

If I add 2 instruments to the tail:

1) a 3d accelerometer
2) strain gages on the shank of the te probe to measure horizontal and vertical deflection

Then will the difference between these two be an indication of the left-right and up-down wind vectors?

Old March 30th 20, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 10:45:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Thinking about glider projects other than flying...

If I add 2 instruments to the tail:

1) a 3d accelerometer
2) strain gages on the shank of the te probe to measure horizontal and vertical deflection

Then will the difference between these two be an indication of the left-right and up-down wind vectors?

The first would quantify, to some degree, how the aircraft responds to gusts(assuming no control input). This would vary depending on the natural stability of the ship, and CG location.
The second would measure the response of the probe to the motion resulting from the first. Effectively it would provide the same information once the mechanical issues of stiffness vs deflection are removed.
I'm not sure what might be gained from this information.
FWIW
UH
Old March 30th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

not sure what might be gained from this information.

My theory is that the strain gages would respond to two things

movements in the tail due to all the complicated things you mention
air mass movements

if the accelerometers only respond to the first and I subtract that, then I might get left with the airmass?
Old March 30th 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 8:11:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
not sure what might be gained from this information.

My theory is that the strain gages would respond to two things

movements in the tail due to all the complicated things you mention
air mass movements

if the accelerometers only respond to the first and I subtract that, then I might get left with the airmass?

I think you will find the signal to noise ratio extremely low, so I hope you have a PHD in filtering algorithms.
Old March 30th 20, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hope you have a PHD in filtering algorithms.

No, a bit more practical. My PHD came from an estate sale. It has 2 handles and makes nice holes in the ground.