Solo 2350D won't start

Old March 20th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT

Default Solo 2350D won't start

Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed & continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3 seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500) but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed 60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
Old March 20th 20, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-4, BillT wrote:
Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed & continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3 seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500) but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed 60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Check for blocked or collapsed fuel lines.
UH
Old March 21st 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 3:42:42 PM UTC-7, BillT wrote:
Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed & continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3 seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500) but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed 60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Check fuel pump for outlet pressure (not just confirming flow, actually measuring the pressure and compare to spec sheet).
Old March 21st 20, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Does sound like a intermittent fuel delivery problem.
How do you start a turbo on the ground?
Thought they were only windwill starts?
Don't know never have had one.
Old March 21st 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 15:42:39 -0700 (PDT), BillT
wrote:

Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed
& continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3
seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence
is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500)
but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed
60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

About 10 years ago I had a similar issue with my Ventus cT (same
engine, but direct drive). Problem turned out to be the impulse fuel
pump diaphragm that had gotten stiff with age. A simple job to replace
(provided you can get the parts). 10 years ago parts were not an
issue, now, I am unsure. I so have photos of the replacement procedure
if interested.

Bob
Old March 21st 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-4, BillT wrote:
Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed & continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3 seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500) but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed 60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Is the fuel tank vented properly?

Uli
'AS'
Old March 21st 20, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

wrote:

[...]

I think the 5 year check has a replacement for the diaphragm ,so
they are an obvious known fault.

Old March 21st 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

How do you start a Turbo engine on the ground to work on it?
Can you?
Can you Hand Prop it?
It would be nice if they had a fitting to attach a 1/2" drill motor to turn it over.
I, obviously, know very little about these engines, just curious.
Old March 21st 20, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-4, BillT wrote:
Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed & continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3 seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500) but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed 60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

I have made new diaphragms for a Mikuni pump from 5 mil mylar (artists supplies)
Use the cast plate as a template and melt the screw holes with a soldering iron.
JMF
Old March 21st 20, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John does the mylar resist the effects of the fuel or do you find you have replace that diafram frequently?
Dan

Start Anywhere [email protected] Soaring 35 December 24th 08 08:58 PM
FSX Start Up L D S Simulators 1 November 21st 07 11:06 PM
SR-71 61-7974, engine start - "61-7974 engine start, Jan 16, 1984, Ramstein AB, Scott R Wilson.jpg" 176.9 KBytes [email protected] Aviation Photos 7 November 3rd 07 01:14 PM
SR-71 61-7974, engine start - "61-7974 engine start, Jan 16, 1984, Ramstein AB, Scott R Wilson.jpg" 176.9 KBytes [email protected] Piloting 4 November 3rd 07 01:14 PM
I want to start Carlos Estopier Owning 16 May 12th 04 07:09 PM