aquiring an abandoned glider.

Old April 14th 13, 04:17 AM
gliderpilot1 gliderpilot1 is offline
Junior Member

Default aquiring an abandoned glider.

Hope there are some attorneys or people with knowledge that can help me with this.

I am a member of a club. A guy bought a Schweizer 1-26 sailplane from Canada, and signed a lease (like everyone else) to store the plane in our club hanger. He never flew it, or registered it. Now over a decade has passed. He owes more than 4K in storage fees. We have contacted him mulitple times via mail, registerede mail and email. Initial offers were we would take over ownership and register and insure it and forgive his debt as well as let him be lifetime member and some tows for free each month. He no longer seems interested in talking or paying dues.

We had it inspected and its in good shape.

We'd like to proceed to take pocession of it, but cannot afford to pay an attorney as the cost would likely be more than the glider is worth.

Anyone with viable options??? We plan to get a lien against it. Then I think we need to get a judgement so it can be auctioned by the county, buy it, then register it in the US.

The guy who owns it told us he does not have any paperwork or bill of sale for it. We contacted the club in Canada who sold it, and they acknowlege they have no interest in it as they sold it.

Can anyone elaborate or give advice?
Old April 14th 13, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

gliderpilot1 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, at least talk to a lawyer that specializes in this kind of law, i.e.
leases, bad debit, and abandonded property at a lease site.

A hour's consultation shouldn't cost much more than $100 and you can find
out what you really need to do in your jurisdiction, which can vary not
only by state but also by county.

That an airplane is involved is very likely irrelevant.

--
Jim Pennino