Wheel Brake on G102

Old March 1st 05, 08:04 PM
Ken Pruchnick

Default Wheel Brake on G102

Hi All
Our drum wheel brake on the club Grob 102 is almost useless. I was
wondering if there is a conversion to a diskbrake.

Ken (KP)
Old March 1st 05, 08:25 PM

Ken Pruchnick wrote:
Hi All
Our drum wheel brake on the club Grob 102 is almost useless. I was
wondering if there is a conversion to a diskbrake.

Ken (KP)

Wings and Wheels has a TOST conversion that mentions Astir CS.
I considered it once for mine but it's listed at $1395 us, and
that's too steep. I did replace the pads and I heard about
some motorcycle shop that could really soup up the drum brake
somehow. You might research that.

In the meantime, don't point the glider at anything you can't
afford to pay for.

Toad

Who is waiting for his G102 to get it's shiny new counterweights
installed, so he can go real fast this spring/summer.

Old March 1st 05, 08:58 PM
Robin Birch

In message , Ken
Pruchnick writes
Hi All
Our drum wheel brake on the club Grob 102 is almost useless. I was
wondering if there is a conversion to a diskbrake.

Ken (KP)

How bad is bad? Mine won't tip it on the nose if I apply it but it does
slow reasonably well.

Robin
--
Robin Birch
Old March 1st 05, 09:32 PM
Stefan

Ken Pruchnick wrote:

Our drum wheel brake on the club Grob 102 is almost useless. I was
wondering if there is a conversion to a diskbrake.

Tost drum brakes have the problem that they are too small, therefore
overheat which hardens the plates (or however this is called in
English). Try to use them only in an emergency. Take them apart after
each serious use, but at least yearly, and sand the plates.
the construction not very convincing and too expensive.

Stefan
Old March 2nd 05, 07:01 AM

Hey Kilo Papa,

Have you considered sending the brake to Vintage Brake in Sonora, CA
(http://www.vintagebrake.com/index.html)? They are familiar with the
TOST brake and charge about $175-$250 to improve the brake's
performance. A search on RAS has will indicate that they reportedly do
good work. I had a TOST brake re-worked by them but haven't actually
tried it because I'm STILL waiting for the repair on A5.