Sun N Fun '07 Redux

Old April 23rd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mike Isaksen

Default Sun N Fun '07 Redux

After sitting in the Diamond D-jet mock-up, I too am now convinced that the
VLJs will see brisk sales. I could not believe how "car like" the cockpit
felt. There are probably more buttons and knobs in a Cirrus than in the
D-jet.

Of course this could lead to problems as well, I suspect. There is no
"intimidation factor" like when sitting in the TBM or like. Pilots who can
afford it will sell their pressurized C210 or turbo SR22 and step lively
into the new role of Flight System Manager. I just hope that they will be up
to the task of Piloting, when in the Mod to Severe that was shown by XM
weather to be an opening kicks the AP offline.

Point of reference: The Diamond rep felt confident that owners yearly
insurance budget shouldn't be more than "$24k to $32k per year depending on
flight experience" (his quote). Anyone know the typical for a TBM owner?

"K Baum" wrote in message ....
............... I
was facinated
with all the VLJ,s. My buddy and I were offered jobs at both the
Eclipse tent and the Diamond tent. It seems that they have some pretty
low time pilots who are ordering these jets, so they have set up a
pilot mentor program for new owners to fly with experienced pilots for
awhile. I think the insurance companies are playing a big role in this
program.

Old April 23rd 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Mike Isaksen" wrote

Point of reference: The Diamond rep felt confident that owners yearly
insurance budget shouldn't be more than "$24k to $32k per year depending
on flight experience"

24 to 32 THOUSAND???

Are you sure?

Wow.

I know I would be WAY over my head, when just the insurance could be more
than HALF of my gross yearly income.

Wow!
--
Jim in NC

Old April 23rd 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

24 to 32 THOUSAND???

Are you sure?

Wow.

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
24 to 32 THOUSAND???

Are you sure?

Wow.

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

What is the hull value of a Cirrus compared to your 30 some-odd year old
aircraft?

--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Viperdoc[_4_]

The amount you stated seems high, unless you are talking about a low time,
non-instrument rated pilot, with high liability coverage and full hull.

Even considering the cost of a new plane, the hull coverage seems very high.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

I had no idea that it was so expensive to insure jets.

I have a hard time seeing how they will ever be able to get the cost down
low enough to make air taxi service with the VLJ's affordable.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 23rd 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Newps

I have a friend who owned a Citation for many years. The insurance was
$90K per year. He also owned a Caravan on amphibs, that ran $45K per
year for insurance. Another friend has a Caravan on wheels, that only
costs $35K per year.

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Old April 23rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

This was my first time, and I really enjoyed meeting Jay and Mary and
soaking up my first 'big fly-in/airshow experience'.
I was only there for Thursday afternoon and all day Friday, and didn't
camp, but it's a start I think I at least managed to see every
part of the grounds with the exception of Choppertown (which required
a tram ride), including a trip out to Lake Parker for a couple of
hours.

The Piper Jet mockup was indeed there, along with lots of other VLJs
and LSAs. I agree that some of the LSAs are almost indistiguishable
from larger aircraft at a distance. It was actually a little odd
seeing them flying around with the ultralights in the pattern at
Paradise City, and at least one landing I watched by one of the
sleeker LSAs pushed the limits of the grass strip length.

I liked Cirrus' marketing scheme. They gave away T-shirts advertising
their new Generation 3 aircraft to anyone who would agree to wear them
out of the booth. I was surprised I didn't see more people wearing
them, but I think the deal was an 'open secret' as I only found out
about it by overhearing the lady at the booth talking to another
customer.

--
Allen Johnson
Raleigh, NC

Old April 23rd 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

No problem. I'll give T-shirts away at my forum this year to any female
willing to take her shirt off and put mine on during the forum ... on stage.

Jim

Old April 23rd 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:32:07 -0600, Newps wrote:

I have a friend who owned a Citation for many years. The insurance was
$90K per year. He also owned a Caravan on amphibs, that ran $45K per
year for insurance. Another friend has a Caravan on wheels, that only
costs $35K per year.

I can understand the jet (high due to being a jet and the number of
seats) and the Caravan on floats, but on wheels that is almost twice
what they quoted me for a TBM 700 with the Caravan costing less and
being considerably slower.

Morgans wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

I had no idea that it was so expensive to insure jets.

I have a hard time seeing how they will ever be able to get the cost down
low enough to make air taxi service with the VLJ's affordable.

Sun N Fun '07 Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 74 May 2nd 07 12:06 AM
The Pledge redux Viperdoc Piloting 7 March 9th 07 10:58 AM
CSA Redux? sid Naval Aviation 19 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
Sun N Fun Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 26 April 24th 04 01:44 PM
CSA Redux? sid Military Aviation 9 April 18th 04 08:14 AM