OLC Questions

Old May 16th 16, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default OLC Questions

Kirk, I gotta call BS on loving to fly in southern Illinois. What you're
really experiencing is the joy of flying an LS-6! Been there, done
that! Loved it! :-D

On 5/16/2016 10:01 AM, kirk.stant wrote:
And don't forget available time to fly! So there should be a HUGE handicap against retired old farts!

Seriously, re original post: YGBSM. OLC is fun, and within a club or a homogeneous wx/terrain area, can be an interesting "contest", but it does not replace real contests. If you want a "fair" comparison, go to a contest.

Kirk
66
Flying in non-OLC friendly southern Illinois, and loving it.

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 16th 16, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Hey Dan,
Thanks, I kinda like skylines and the prosoar.

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:58:35 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Excellent point, T8.

I started using OLC do make it simpler to complete my logbook.Â*
Then I found skylines.aero which allows me to choose my units,
non-metric, thank you very much.Â* I learned to fly with nautical
miles and my logbook contains 40+ years of that.Â* No meed to
switch to metric units.Â* I current log to both sites so that
Moriarty Soaring can "benefit" from that paltry points I
contribute.

Call me old-fashioned...

On 5/16/2016 7:35 AM, Tango Eight
wrote:

You are over thinking this.

OLC isn't a meaningful competition.

It's amusing & fun, but it's simply another game. By all means play if you are so inclined, but don't get fussed about big scores achieved by guys that have access to resources you don't.

We have a friendly little in-region OLC "grudge match" that gets going from time to time. It's great fun. Or it was until I saw one of my friends do something really dumb (300', nowhere to crash) trying to get back on top.... kinda took the fun out of it for me.

T8

--

Dan, 5J

Old May 16th 16, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 11:28:48 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Kirk, I gotta call BS on loving to fly in southern Illinois.Â*
What you're really experiencing is the joy of flying an LS-6!Â*
Been there, done that!Â* Loved it!Â* :-D

Well, flying in IL is better than not flying somewhere else!

And you get to enjoy the scenery better - since you rarely get above 5000' (pattern altitude out west, at times...)

How is that Stemme doing for ya?

Kirk
Old May 17th 16, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 16 May 2016 16:58:35 UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
I current log to both sites so that Moriarty Soaring can "benefit"
from that paltry points I contribute.

Call me old-fashioned...

There is nothing wrong with being old fashioned.
I also log my flights regardless of how insignificant they are because it helps promote my local club. Before I started gliding I spent a fair bit of time on OLC analysing flights and seeing which club seemed to be the most active. It may be a minor marketing tool but every little bit helps.

DG-600 questions Dan[_6_] Soaring 7 July 7th 08 02:03 AM
Questions about the FAA IIHKTWIKNIWHPMOC Instrument Flight Rules 4 September 15th 06 12:52 AM
DG Questions Jay Honeck Owning 19 October 31st 03 03:11 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Seven Questions For Michael Moore from a Blogger (was Questions for Mr. Bush, from Michael Moore) Jim Yanik Military Aviation 2 October 9th 03 09:36 PM