OLC Questions

Old May 16th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default OLC Questions

I have a couple questions about OLC but first let me say that I have not read all the rules but I have tried to submit a service request with no joy.

1) Why does OLC have me located at R9 and not R5 and how can I change that?

2) I see the various scoring in clubs, airfields, Best Flights, ect, and I see various leagues, and I see that all gliders are scored via DAeC Index to compensate for glider performance. But I do not see that any part of the country is used for compensation in the OLC-Plus. There are obvious parts of the country that have better and higher lift. Is it a fair or true OLC when a pilot is scored in part of the country that gets lift often many time higher and more often than another. Could OLC have an area compensation programmed to give points based on distance divided by height achieved? Which pilot should receive more points, Pilot A that gains 5k feet from release and flys 100km or Pilot B that only gains 1k feet and flys 100km? Both pilots topped out. And of course triangle and speed are calculated as well.

Maybe someone can give me the quick version of how scoring is computed since I'm new at this.

Thanks
Casey
Old May 16th 16, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 16 May 2016 14:56:50 UTC+2, Casey wrote:
But I do not see that any part of the country is used for compensation in
the OLC-Plus. There are obvious parts of the country that have better and
higher lift. Is it a fair or true OLC when a pilot is scored in part of
the country that gets lift often many time higher and more often than
another.

How would they be able to do that fairly?
Weather would play a huge roll and changes so drastically even over short distances that I cannot see how such a system would ever be able to be implemented fairly.
Old May 16th 16, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

You are over thinking this.

OLC isn't a meaningful competition.

It's amusing & fun, but it's simply another game. By all means play if you are so inclined, but don't get fussed about big scores achieved by guys that have access to resources you don't.

We have a friendly little in-region OLC "grudge match" that gets going from time to time. It's great fun. Or it was until I saw one of my friends do something really dumb (300', nowhere to crash) trying to get back on top... kinda took the fun out of it for me.

T8
Old May 16th 16, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

I know its friendly. But I don't think my name would be at the top even with years of flying a JS1/ASG29 in my part of the country (and I'm not trying to take anything away from others above me either for I really don't have enough flights up to compare) And I started out posting my flights just so they are in one place and to use the analysis tools. I'm just saying that the code writers write in the polars of gliders and award points and it seems like they could write code for alt over release divided by distance or something. OLC already knows percentage of pilots flying certain sites. Anyway, I know its a different kind of flying in different conditions and I may not do so well in the booming parts of the country. Probably burn holes in the sky instead of taking off like a bat.

Anyone know how to change the region next to ones name?

Old May 16th 16, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Casey: The problem with the registration of the East Carolina Soaring Club. The club shows up as R9. So the club registration has to change. At least that's how it looks to me. #117 on this list http://tinyurl.com/gtxbbdj

best,
Evan
Old May 16th 16, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Excellent point, T8.

I started using OLC do make it simpler to complete my logbook. Then I
found skylines.aero which allows me to choose my units, non-metric,
thank you very much. I learned to fly with nautical miles and my
logbook contains 40+ years of that. No meed to switch to metric units.
I current log to both sites so that Moriarty Soaring can "benefit" from
that paltry points I contribute.

Call me old-fashioned...

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 16th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

To be really fair, OLC should handicap for local towing fees and pilot adjusted gross income as doing well on OLC is mostly about flying a lot. There should also be a factor for latitude since longer daylight hours are available at higher latitudes. And to be really fair, there should also be a handicap factor for pilot IQ -- dumb people have a huge disadvantage.

But, alas, life isn't meant to be fair.
Old May 16th 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:06:40 AM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
To be really fair, OLC should handicap for local towing fees and pilot adjusted gross income as doing well on OLC is mostly about flying a lot. There should also be a factor for latitude since longer daylight hours are available at higher latitudes. And to be really fair, there should also be a handicap factor for pilot IQ -- dumb people have a huge disadvantage.

But, alas, life isn't meant to be fair.

And don't forget available time to fly! So there should be a HUGE handicap against retired old farts!

Seriously, re original post: YGBSM. OLC is fun, and within a club or a homogeneous wx/terrain area, can be an interesting "contest", but it does not replace real contests. If you want a "fair" comparison, go to a contest.

Kirk
66
Flying in non-OLC friendly southern Illinois, and loving it.
Old May 16th 16, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 9:01:37 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Just remember usually if you fly on a Tuesday you get to the top of the list.
Old May 16th 16, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Now why didn't I think of that. I need more handicap points for old fart with low IQ. And I will try to fly more Tuesdays.
I did try to submit a service request for I originally did not think it was something I could change.

Casey

DG-600 questions Dan[_6_] Soaring 7 July 7th 08 02:03 AM
Questions about the FAA IIHKTWIKNIWHPMOC Instrument Flight Rules 4 September 15th 06 12:52 AM
DG Questions Jay Honeck Owning 19 October 31st 03 03:11 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Seven Questions For Michael Moore from a Blogger (was Questions for Mr. Bush, from Michael Moore) Jim Yanik Military Aviation 2 October 9th 03 09:36 PM