iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Old December 6th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

No need for a public discourse on this. I do believe you are in error in at least one aspect. One of the things the LX can do that iGlide can't, is to control radio. Push button on stick to near page, push another button on stick to load nav, airport screens, photos and the radio changes to the correct freq! Hell I used to have to pay a co-pilot to do that in a pressurized high flyer! The LX doesn't want health benefits, vacation, nor retirement. On any given flight I might use 6 or 8 screens. The 30 screens while accurate is not as many as it sound. The screens are three across: airport, waypoint and task. So 3 screens is 10 screens down and 6 of the screens are one form of horizon or another some with synthetic vision. , I have multiple variations of the the horizon with and without synthetic vision. Other pages are under development to see if I like some particular layout better than the other.

For me the LXNav is really the best avoinics package I have flown with in over 6,500 hours in 70 different aircraft from WWII fighters to helicopters to King Air. I enjoy being able to highly customize each page the the flexibility of the package.

Stay safe and thanks for publishing info on iPhone sunlight readability.

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 12:55:46 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 10:54:23 AM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I might suggest you give up now. :-) Clearly you don't know Jon. He knows fully well what a LXNav and other flight computer can do. And iGlide can do much of what you are talking about. He's researched all this very thoroughly and likes the simplicity and elegance of iGlide. Most soaring software and devices are stuck in decade old UIs and old low-resolution LCD display technology, they will eventually move into modern times. I can and have had argued with Jon why I prefer SeeYou Mobile, because uh I'm used to it and some things in the software are just how I like (in part because I tested early versions of the software there helped to get things implemented there how I like. Jon clearly prefers the elegance and minimalism in the iGlide UI/UX... I expect he would argue that you should not need 30 screens on a flight computer :-) And he's pointing out how impressive OLED displays are....and yes they are. It is simply a matter of when not if other soaring computer move to OLED displays and a matter of time as well for moving to more modern UI/UX feel in applications.

Darryl knows me too well . He also knows that capital expense isn't what's holding me back from buying an LX. The Air Vario will similarly warn you about your gear, also in a pleasant (but somewhat Teutonic) female voice. The only thing you have mentioned in the LX feature set not available in some form in the Air system is flap position and dump valve position (there is a flap sensor input, but I don't think they do anything with it, and can I think of only esoteric uses for it). And no, I don't think 30 screens are an advantage - quite the opposite -, I don't even think the 4 screens on XCSoar is very elegant. Microsoft used to advocate that complexity = power, but even they have abandon that ruse.

But again, if you want an LX system by all means go for it. I'm just clearing the misconceptions on the iGlide software. It is sunlight visible. When coupled with a vario, it does have a full glide computer functionality including most of the things you ave mentioned. And it isn't more expensive than other commercially available solutions.