iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Old December 1st 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 10:30:28 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
perjantai 1. joulukuuta 2017 0.17.44 UTC+2 kirjoitti:
If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

I would but iPads do not have same display as X. Pure gliding use X is total overkill, with iGlide licence package is close to 1500 euros.

1500 euros makes it about 25-50% cheaper than a dedicated glider display......

For example the Air Display L is 3200 euro. And you can't make phone calls on it. Alternatively an LX9000 is US$5500 (about 4600 euro), quite a bit more than an Air Vario and an iPhone X with iGlide (around US$4300). And you still can't make phone calls on it.

You just can't compete with the economics of mass produced consumer electronics. Apple is currently making 500,000 iPhone Xs per DAY. They expect to sell over 50 million phones this quarter. LX probably will sell 100 in a year.
Old December 1st 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Does the iThingy have Bluetooth or wifi?Â* Either of those would be the
way for data transfer to/from the vario.Â* At least that's how it works
in the Android world.

On 11/30/2017 9:27 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 2nd 17, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

The Oudie IGC is less than $1200 and you get a long life battery and an IGC recorder.

Nope - it doesn't handle phone calls well

Lou
Old December 2nd 17, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 3:15:22 PM UTC-8, MNLou wrote:
The Oudie IGC is less than $1200 and you get a long life battery and an IGC recorder.

Nope - it doesn't handle phone calls well

Lou

So an Oudie IGC is about the same as an iPhone X and iGlide, and doesn't make phone calls.

With the iPhone, you get an IGC recorder but I don't think it is legal for records. Other than that everything would seem to favor the iPhone - more memory, much better display, built in tracking, much faster at everything it does, and it does infinitely more. I'm not sure if the battery would last all day at full brightness, but a battery pack that will run it for days is about $30. For strictly glider use, it will come down to whether you like SYM or iGlide better. I have run both and know which one I like, but it is clearly personal preference.

Not sure what you pay in Europe, but in the US, an iPhone X is $1000 and iGlide Pro is $220.
Old December 2nd 17, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It all depends upon what you're willing to pay for capability.Â* My
ClearNav system cost considerably more, doesn't make phone calls,
probably has a larger/brighter screen, has all the controls mounted on
the stick, is good for world records...Â* I turn off my phone and carry
it in my pocket.

Dif'rent strokes...

Old December 3rd 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

iPad is mounted on a RAM mount. Mounted to the canopy rail on the right side of the cockpit. I had to put it further back than the pocket pc that it replaced, because it would get on the way of the stick otherwise.
Old December 3rd 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Does the iThingy have Bluetooth or wifi?Â* Either of those would be the
way for data transfer to/from the vario.Â* At least that's how it works
in the Android world.

On 11/30/2017 9:27 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

From what I understand...the IPhone can only be connected via wifi to a flight computer, none of the blue tooth connectors popular in soaring will work, but I stand to be corrected.
I also understand that the Iglide system has some type of "climb maximizer", what I don't understand is how well does it work without the normal flight computer information/data stream? Is there anyone actually using it with wifi and than what kind?
WinPilot claims that their CM will work only through wifi connection with a flight computer. But than WP is another story....
Old December 3rd 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:13:38 AM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Does the iThingy have Bluetooth or wifi?Â* Either of those would be the
way for data transfer to/from the vario.Â* At least that's how it works
in the Android world.

On 11/30/2017 9:27 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

From what I understand...the IPhone can only be connected via wifi to a flight computer, none of the blue tooth connectors popular in soaring will work, but I stand to be corrected.
I also understand that the Iglide system has some type of "climb maximizer", what I don't understand is how well does it work without the normal flight computer information/data stream? Is there anyone actually using it with wifi and than what kind?
WinPilot claims that their CM will work only through wifi connection with a flight computer. But than WP is another story....

You are correct that iGlide must use WiFi. This can be connected to any vario system that puts out an LX compatible (And possibly C302) serial stream, using the Air Connect WiFi bridge. It will not work with Bluetooth - I believe this is due to Apple's very restrictive use of Bluetooth. It will connect directly to an Air Vario with a WiFi stick.

The climb maximizer or thermal assistant is the rather typical trail of dots, the size of each represents the rate of climb. That is similar to SYM, XCSoar, etc. I don't find that particularly useful. If connected to an Air Vario however, you will get, in each dot, an instantaneous wind vector. This is highly useful. The flow field in and near a thermal deviates towards the core, and this is easily seen in the wind vectors. No other vario will do that, since they do not compute wind fast enough.

Without a connection to any vario, iGlide makes a very functional glide computer using the iPhone GPS and barometric sensors. You will not get variometer function or Flarm targets, but pretty much everything else. There have been occasions when my iPhone disconnected from the vario, it then defaults to internal, and I have not noticed the change for some time at it works nearly as well.
Old December 4th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

A minor nit:Â* XCSoar uses line, the width of which varies with climb
rate, rather than individual dots.Â* I find it very intuitive.

On 12/3/2017 2:26 PM, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:13:38 AM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Does the iThingy have Bluetooth or wifi?Â* Either of those would be the
way for data transfer to/from the vario.Â* At least that's how it works
in the Android world.

On 11/30/2017 9:27 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike
--
Dan, 5J

From what I understand...the IPhone can only be connected via wifi to a flight computer, none of the blue tooth connectors popular in soaring will work, but I stand to be corrected.

Old December 4th 17, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 6:35:44 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

From what I understand...the IPhone can only be connected via wifi to a flight computer, none of the blue tooth connectors popular in soaring will work, but I stand to be corrected.
[...]

XCSoar has, or has had, several styles of presentation. It cannot depict the wind in the thermal though. When using XCSoar I prefer the simple thermal center indication, along with the circling arc prediction. In thermal assistants, no one has yet come close to duplicating the original WinPilot version, both in presentation and accuracy. ClearNav has recently copied it directly, at least the presentation - I don't know how accurate it is. WinPilot has said they will port the old thermal assistant to the new WinPilot Live, but I haven't seen it yet.