Slingsby T.61 MotorFalke

Old December 4th 04, 04:51 AM
R. Wubben

Default Slingsby T.61 MotorFalke

Is this an exact copy of the Scheibe SF-25?
How hard is it to get Stamo engine parts in the US?
What would one go for in the US if it has been well taken care of and
recently recovered and repainted?
Could one register it in the new sport pilot, or Light Sport Aircraft
rules?
How are they to fly?
Any big AD's on them?

Thanks for any collective wisdom out there!
Ryan in Madison, WI
Old December 4th 04, 05:36 PM
Ian Cant

At 04:30 04 December 2004, R. Wubben wrote:
Is this an exact copy of the Scheibe SF-25?

The early ones are exact copies, later versions diverged
in engine and wingspar - but essentially the same aircraft.

How hard is it to get Stamo engine parts in the US?

Probably impossible, but VW parts easily available.

What would one go for in the US if it has been well
taken care of and
recently recovered and repainted?

No idea, let me know if you find out. Look carefully
at the empty weight.

Could one register it in the new sport pilot, or Light
Sport Aircraft
rules?

Possibly yes; probably hard to do. Experimental-exhibition
motorglider is straightforward and less restrictive.

How are they to fly?

Great fun as long as you're in no hurry. Will climb
out from density altitudes of 10,000 ft - but only
just. Expect typical 5,000 ft rate of climb around
250 ft/min under power, cruise around 60 kts under
power, glide performance very much like 2-33.

Ground handling better than most motorgliders, but
still requires care.

Any big AD's on them?

No ADs [except possibly for the magneto], Slingsby
can provide a bunch of recommended tech notes. BGA
website lists recommended inspections.

Thanks for any collective wisdom out there!
Ryan in Madison, WI

Good luck,

Ian

Old December 4th 04, 11:32 PM
R. Wubben

Thanks for the response!
Do you have one? If you do, I'd like to hear more about maintence and
flying it!
Any concerns with the wood or fiberglass spar that you are aware of?
Do you use standard VW parts when you need them?
I'm very curious about the type, my first rating was a glider rating
and did manage to sneak in a motorglider endorsement. But most of my
flying the last few years is of the Cessna variety.
The Scheibe/Slingsby motorgliders always struck me as a relatively
cheap and easy to maintain way to soar by yourself, (cheap compared to
the Grob/Taifun/Ximango/Stemme/DG crowd) and looking quite fun!
I'd be interested to hear about your perspective if you have one.

Thanks
Ryan
Old December 6th 04, 02:20 AM
Don Johnstone

Sorry to disagree. The Slingsby T61 Venture was build
for the UK Air Cadets and was a different aircraft
to the Schiebe SF-25. The basic design was the same
but there were significant differences. They were much
lighter for a start with a carbon wing spar instead
of the wood, and an Ardem engine with electric start
(eventually)

The engine is not a Stamo, it was a Rollason Ardem
conversion. The engine is a converted standard VW Variant
1200cc engine. As far as I am aware the only ones Slingsbys
built all went to the RAF and were later sold off.

They were a joy to fly and a magnificent teaching machine.
Cruise at 70kts/2 gallons an hour and totally benign.
I sent over 60 16 year old students solo in them over
8 years.

DAJ

Old December 6th 04, 05:06 AM
R. Wubben

How many hours did you get out of the Stamo before it had to be rebuilt?
How much did it cost for a rebuild?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old December 6th 04, 06:35 PM
Chris Kaminski

At 02:00 06 December 2004, Don Johnstone wrote:
Sorry to disagree. The Slingsby T61 Venture was build
for the UK Air Cadets ....etc

Don, read the guy's question before replying :-)
he is not asking about Venture, but about Stamo engined
T61

If you did your homework you would have found that:
Scheibe SF 25B (45hp Stamo MS 1500-1)
in UK built as:
Slingsby T61A (45 hp Stamo MS 1500-1,without electric
starter),
Slingsby T61B (A with Franklin 2A engine),
Slingsby T61C (about 35 built with Stamo MS 1500-2
engine - with electric starter),
Slingsby T61D (A with Rollason engine),

and then further improved (spar design and 48hp Rollason
engine, etc) into:
Slingsby T61E (Venture MkII) by the way it is 1600cc
Rollason engine not 1200cc as you say,
Slingsby T61F (electric starter),
Slinsby T61G (one off with SL 1700 Limbach engine)

best rgrds
Chris

Old December 6th 04, 06:57 PM
Chris Kaminski

At 05:00 06 December 2004, R. Wubben wrote:
How many hours did you get out of the Stamo before
it had to be rebuilt? How much did it cost for a rebuild?

Ryan, it was running 'on condition' the reason for
the rebuilding was cracked crankcase (watch it when
buying - it happens very often)
I wouldn't buy one without weight and balance. You
can easily end up with 'single seater' - when new max
AUW was 555kg, with empty weight of around 360kg. After
20 -30 years ....
Also watch the fuselage tubes around tailwheeel - they
corrode easily (difficult to see without taking covering
off and x-ray if necssary)
Climb rate is marginal to say the least, particularly
on Stamo engined versions. Very safe to fly.
Don't buy one unless you are prepared to spend either
a lot of time or money to keep it going (they are old
and often neglected)
Trust me - I have learned my lessons expensive way
:-)
(and I am now flying Grob 109b)
best rgrds Chris

Old December 9th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matti T. Koskinen

lauantai 4. joulukuuta 2004 5.51.36 UTC+2 R. Wubben kirjoitti:
Is this an exact copy of the Scheibe SF-25?
How hard is it to get Stamo engine parts in the US?
What would one go for in the US if it has been well taken care of and
recently recovered and repainted?
Could one register it in the new sport pilot, or Light Sport Aircraft
rules?
How are they to fly?
Any big AD's on them?

Thanks for any collective wisdom out there!
Ryan in Madison, WI

Hi all Falke peoples,

We have here in Finland one Sligsby Falke T61C mod. It is modified little bit...engine is now Limbach SL1700 and wings are shorted 1m from both side.
Register no. is OH-415 and photo can see on next list.
http://www.rcawsey.co.uk/t61.htm

Matti T. Koskinen
Old December 9th 17, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 23:53 08 December 2017, Matti T. Koskinen wrote:
[...]

Before investing in one you might want to read this:

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/UKPAD1976.pdf

Basically the Slingsby Venture is an endangered species