Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Old September 17th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Good idea. For a lot of things that rotate, especially large or fast,
never good idea to "stand in the plane of rotation" about 90* to shaft
axis when things are spinning. This goes for lathes, lawnmowers, prop
planes, turbines/jets, etc. When things come loose or fly off, they go
out in direction of plane of rotation.

and winch engine water pump mounted fans

I consider this idea - generically avoiding the plane of rotation of rotating
'stuff' whenever reasonably possible - an aspect of ground-based "situational
awareness."

There's a reason clutch scatter shields were developed for cars, rotating
machinery, etc.

Sure the risk is generally low, and I sure don't lose any sleep from fear of
'rotating stuff,' but why provide Murphy additional opportunity?

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 18th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 09/17/2018 08:35 AM, Chris Esselstyn wrote:
On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:21:53 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Did the exiting parts only damage the removable turtle deck?Â* I would
have expected them to fly in all directions radially.

On 9/17/2018 7:29 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 9:26:48 PM UTC-5, Mike Borgelt wrote:
The production of Halon ceased January 1, 1994, at least in the States.
Yes but it gets recovered from old equipment and can be used in fire extinguishers in certain applications.

I read a great article once about how the USAF looked into substitutes and there weren't any that did not require twice as much bulk and/or weight for same effect.

Mike
Last Friday I went out for a day of soaring. During my assembly I started both turbines for a pre-flight test. Both turbines started and had normal run ups. After tow out I was ready for takeoff. Once again the turbines started without any issues, during my takeoff roll one of the engines catastrophically failed. The rear turbine wheel exploded and shrapnel was radiated thru the exhaust cone onto my removable turtleneck. The damage to the aircraft was primarily cosmetic but the turbine is totaled.

--
Dan, 5J

The shrapnal pattern was radial. The position of the turbine wheel was aft of the trailing edge of the wing so the wings were not damaged. I found two additional small pieces in the engine bay that were lodged into the fiberglass otherwise the majority of the damage was on the aft edge of the turtle deck. There were two more marks on the fuselage right behind the turtle deck joint.

Thank goodness you're OK. With another engine mounted side by side,
seems like it easily could have failed also.
Old September 19th 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

Has anyone else seen the new rotary engine under development by a company called Liquid Piston? If jalf of what they are claiming is true, it will be a perfect engine for self launchers.
Branko XYU
Old September 19th 18, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

Very nice engine.
I don't see black magic or crazy claims around how it works.
Also i don't believe that it will have the efficiency claimed, but if it is better than the 2 stroke engine they have a winner.
Durability and emissions will be an issue too, but again it seems to be very cheap to produce and replace.
If it works, we will see the Chinese version in some years.
And if it works (at least the same as a 2T) I want it for all the hybrid projects.