Bothersome Phillips Head Screws

Old January 8th 04, 12:48 PM
RU ok

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:41:58 GMT, "Eric Miller"
wrote:

I just trailered my Dragonfly home and a kindly stranger lent me some

Aero
Kroil to remove the exhaust nuts... best stuff I've ever used!

Eric

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the 'Kroil Club', Eric. g

Barnyard BOb --

I'm a convert. The "Kroil Club"... users check in, but don't they check out!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's another slogan....

USERS SUCK TO GET MOUSE MILK.

)

Barnyard BOb -
Old January 8th 04, 04:36 PM
Big John

Roger

They make a bit that is for a slotted head screw and has a spring
loaded sleave that goes down over the screw driver blade. This helps
hold the screw in the screw driver blade.

Not sure where I got mine but ask around at a tool place and you can
probably find. Might work for you?

I use mine in a hand screw driver that I can use different bits in and
also in my electric drill.

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:46:40 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

On 06 Jan 2004 20:42:52 GMT,
(Wright1902Glider) wrote:

Gives me an entirely new respect for common slot-headed screws. I'm limited to
using them on my Wright machine (no Phillips in 1902.) I've found that with a
good screwdriver, they hold a lot more torque. However, they absolutely suck
when used with a cordless drill. Use the tool that matches the technology I
guess. BTW, try removing #6 zinc screws from seasoned white ash lumber
sometime. FUN!

LOL
When disassembling Jack's old Barracuda (which is made of wood) there
are hundreds and hundreds of screws. There are slotted head and
phillips head. I learned early on that the "old technology" ( hand
held screwdriver) was about the only way to remove those slotted head
screws. I could not for the life of me, keep a bit in those slotted
heads. It would just start to back out and there I was with the bit
walking across the fire wall, wing, or what ever and that was with the
thing in low gear.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Harry

Old January 8th 04, 04:40 PM
Big John

RU ok

Just ask Jay. Go to any corn crib in Iowa and you will find plenty of
mice to provide your milk.

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Old January 8th 04, 05:53 PM
Jim Weir

I see from the website that they sell mail order primarily. Does anybody know
if there is a local outlet for the stuff? I tried the usual aviation supply
houses (K-Mart, Kragen, True Value, etc.) and couldn't find any on the shelf.

Jim

(m alexander)

-Kroil
http://www.kanolabs.com
-
-Works much better than WD-40

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 8th 04, 06:05 PM
Eric Miller

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

I see from the website that they sell mail order primarily. Does anybody

know
if there is a local outlet for the stuff? I tried the usual aviation

supply
houses (K-Mart, Kragen, True Value, etc.) and couldn't find any on the

shelf.

Jim

I did a Google search and found a few places that sell it (the last two are
shooting supply houses, which I found surprising):

http://www.eastwoodco.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.brunoshooters.com/

Haven't had any experience with any of them

Eric

Old January 9th 04, 01:45 AM
B2431

From: "Eric Miller"
Date: 1/8/2004 12:05 PM Central Standard Time

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
.. .

I see from the website that they sell mail order primarily. Does anybody

know
if there is a local outlet for the stuff? I tried the usual aviation

supply
houses (K-Mart, Kragen, True Value, etc.) and couldn't find any on the

shelf.

Jim

I did a Google search and found a few places that sell it (the last two are
shooting supply houses, which I found surprising):

http://www.eastwoodco.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.brunoshooters.com/

Haven't had any experience with any of them

Eric

As a gunsmith let me tell you some gun owners are extremely lazy about caring
for their firearms. Shotgun and 22 owners are the worst followed by the guy who
only keeps the gun because it belonged to grandpa. Most of the "repairs" I have
done on those types are due to not cleaning and/or not rustproofing.

Kroil comes in handy when someone brings in his great grandfather's 30-40 Krag
with the bolt rusted shut and would I be so kind as to make it shootable? Don't
mind the mudwasp nest in the barrel. Yes, I have actually had such a case.

For what it's worth I keep a small can of Kroil I can dunk parts in. It's a
great way to get parts separated.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old January 9th 04, 04:23 AM
StellaStar

Most of the "repairs" I have
done on those types are due to not cleaning and/or not rustproofing.

Horribly off-topic, but I know you experts will have this answer too: my
teenage boy spends his allowance on great fake swords that he just adores. I
hesitate to criticize the dreadful workmanship (handles and hilts tend to fall
off) because they're within his budget, but at least they're not chrome-plated.
He's gone through sandpaper and steel wool to polish them (hey, it keeps him
off the streets) and now is on a quest to find something called Naval Jelly.
Apparently it's for polishing metal to a very fine finish. Any ideas where I
can get him some?
Old January 9th 04, 04:44 AM
J&D Kahn

There is even worse than Phillips used in aerospace. An evil thing called a
Tri-Wing. It has three offset points so that there is more reverse contact
area than tighten so supposedly you can't strip it by tightening enough to
prevent removal. Problem is they are very shallow and fill with paint
easily and need to have the screwdriver very straight. Most airline
operators replace them with Phillips NAS screws in the field. There is less
choice with aerospace standard screws since holes that provide a nice deep
staight wall socket like allen, robertson and torx make it harder to give a
low profile or countersunk screw the required strength. Never seen an MS or
NAS torx or robertson.

There is another aerospace screw like a tri wing but with 4 offset points
and a deeper narrower slot that works pretty good. Forget what it's called.

John

"Larry Smith" wrote in message
Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you

don't like Phillips head screws. The slightest corrosion and they stick
and freeze. Then your Snap-On screwdriver (make sure it fits) wallows

the
head out, as you grunt and cuss. Then you have to pull out the old die
grinder and disc a groove in the dam* thing and go pull out your common
screwdriver. Last night taking off a set of wheelpants where corrosion
thrives, I had screw after screw frozen up and had to pull the compressor
out on the ramp several times --- cause it had to go back to the shop for

recharge.

Time to go to Allen screws. Yes. The entire Phillips head screw
population is held in contempt. They ought to be banned.