****

Old December 24th 04, 03:04 AM
Roger Long

Default ****

It's really blowing at PWM tonight. I just got the call that the big twin
on the next tiedown jumped its chocks and blew into our plane. No damage
report yet.

We went out today, lashed the cover down and put on an extra tail rope. I
just realized we were checking the wrong airplanes.

--

Roger Long

Old December 24th 04, 03:55 AM
Jay Honeck

It's really blowing at PWM tonight. I just got the call that the big twin
on the next tiedown jumped its chocks and blew into our plane. No damage
report yet.

Oh, man. That really, really sucks.

Let us know how you come out, Roger.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 24th 04, 03:56 AM
Morgans

"Roger Long" wrote in message
It's really blowing at PWM tonight. I just got the call that the big twin
on the next tiedown jumped its chocks and blew into our plane. No damage
report yet.

We went out today, lashed the cover down and put on an extra tail rope. I
just realized we were checking the wrong airplanes.

--

Roger Long

Good luck. Let us know how it turned out.

Sister in law had a Cessna blow into, and over the top of her Archer at
Raleigh-Durham a couple months ago. Broke the vertical clean off, and a
third of one side of the horizontal, plus a few more wrinkles. Actually, it
wasn't hers, as she sold it back to the club a couple days before. Good
time to sell. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 24th 04, 04:13 AM
Roger Long

Cowling dented and exhaust pipe flattened. Doesn't look like much but, with
cowlings going for 15 grand and tearing down the whole exhaust system to
check for cracks, it's going to add up fast.

--

Roger Long

Old December 24th 04, 05:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Cowling dented and exhaust pipe flattened. Doesn't look like much but,
with cowlings going for 15 grand and tearing down the whole exhaust system
to check for cracks, it's going to add up fast.

Dang. And I was feeling low about a blown head gasket in my Subaru.

Makes my unexpected $1300 bill seem pretty minor. I hope insurance covers
your damage...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 24th 04, 05:48 AM
C J Campbell

Well, I was going to criticize the foul language, but under the
circumstances...

Old December 24th 04, 05:57 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, Roger Long wrote:

It's really blowing at PWM tonight. I just got the call that the big twin
on the next tiedown jumped its chocks and blew into our plane. No damage
report yet.

We went out today, lashed the cover down and put on an extra tail rope. I
just realized we were checking the wrong airplanes.

Ouch. Sounds like an expensive ouch, too, from your other email.

Merry Christmas, anyway, and here's hoping your insurance company - or the
other guy's - covers the damage!

Brian
www.warbard.ca/avgas/index.html
Old December 24th 04, 09:53 AM
PJ Hunt

Well I had a major screw up once. Thank god I don't have these often. It
hurts to just tell the story.

Being sorta kind of new to the world of helicopters I had never actually
seen a helicopter tied down. I parked my helicopter as usual one day after
work and the next morning had to pry it off the security fence that
surrounded the airport.

Thank god again that the damage was extremely minor. Only about a 1" scratch
on the tail boom and an almost unperceivable ding on one of the tail rotors.

Luckily since the damage was so minor, insert sarcasm it only cost us
$15,000 to make the required repairs which included replacing the entire
tail boom and the tail rotor assembly.

I'm pretty sure that at least some of the factors in this incident,
excluding my head being someplace other than where I normally keep it, were
the fact that since I had just finished doing sling load operations, it was
out of fuel making it very light It was also configured with utility
floats, which I'm sure were great at catching plenty of wind. It was
positioned at a 90 degree angle from where the wind came from that night and
last of all, the fact that the airport registered peak gusts at 76 mph.

I have parked helicopters on job sites in the past with winds often in the
50 mph range with absolutely no problems so I was some what complacent about
this. Never again.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

Old December 24th 04, 12:30 PM
PJ Hunt

Hey Brian,

For simplicities sake, it's not necessary to include the '/index.html' on
the end of your URL since index.html is a default page anyway.

In other words, people will still get there by simply typing
www.warbard.ca/avgas.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

ia.tc.ca...