comant diplexors and multi-use antennas - opinions?

Old June 4th 04, 02:22 AM
Dave

Default comant diplexors and multi-use antennas - opinions?

Anyone have experience using a single Comant CI-121 to feed to COM
radios with the Comant CI-601 diplexor?

And, anyone have experience feeding a GPS and COM with the Comant
CI-2480 antenna?

I have 3 antennas on the roof of the fuselage (COM1, COM2, GPS). It's
going into the paint shop soon, so now's a good time to consider
minimizing the clutter up there.
Old June 20th 04, 10:42 PM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:09:37 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

-I would avoid using two COM on the same antenna but it can be done.
-I can't remember the number of wavelengths but I'm sure you could make
-a co-axial combining filter.
-Imagine a rectangle made with co-axial cable.
-Put the two COM at diagonally opposite corners.
-Put the antenna at one of the other corners and a balancing load at
-the other.
-The two COM need to have a 180° phase shift so signals cancel
-It's all too messy and two antennas are much more efficient.

If you use this bozo's scheme to put two coms on one antenna, can I buy the
crispy fried remains for spare parts?

-
-I did install a COMANT combination GPS and COMM broadband antenna.
-One position takes care of both.
-
-Getting the required isolation wasn't that hard... they had already
-understood the problem very well.

No problem. Getting isolation between 127 MHz. and 1575 MHz. isn't too
difficult. Getting isolation between 127 MHz. and 126 MHz. is a crystal bitch
without a lot of folderol.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

The last time you disagreed with me you found that Bird Power meters
did not read as you thought! So before you start getting rude read my
first line of my reply ("I would avoid using two COM on the same
antenna but it can be done"). I did not say it was sensible. I did say
"It's all too messy and two antennas are much more efficient".

As for isolation between 126MHz & 127 MHz you must know it can also be
done with filters. They may be expensive and heavy but it can be done.
Amateur repeaters using 0.6MHz on 145MHz is common using one antenna.
Before you complain I know these are only used on one frequency as
I've built and operated a repeater for years.

Let's leave it there...!