Letter to the FAA

Old June 3rd 17, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Letter to the FAA

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 6:52:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Walt-

Before you go off with velocity but no direction, please supply the names and incidences of all these dead tow pilots. You see a problem because it happened to you. I agree that perhaps the Schweizer release is susceptible to failures when the towed glider is wildly out of position, and that there is likely a remedy through either inverting the release or hoping for better training.

Asking for a ban on these release mechanisms nationwide is likely to cause a large number of glider operations to halt operations since the Schweizer release is the ONLY mechanism accepted for a particular tow plane. Banning the Schweizer release is likely to shut down an active club or commercial operator.

The FAA will issue a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) prior to proposing an Airworthiness Directive that would ban the use of the Schweizer release. They will have to justify this by citing the "Unsafe conditions" that the AD is supposed to correct. You will have to supply the evidence that this is, in fact, a valid concern. Be prepared with solid evidence of fatalities, accidents incidents and testimony from affected parties. Your word and your singular experiences will not be enough.

Commercial operators and clubs faced with a significant monetary outlay to change release systems are encouraged to document the hundreds of thousands of successful aerotows using the Schweizer release with no incidents or accidents (or tow pilot fatalities).

You don't like Schweizer releases because of your particularly terrifying experience, and I can heartily agree and accept that. Glad you are still around. But, how many tows have you done with the same system that went off without a hitch?

I have fallen off a bicycle several times. (Also motorcycles, hang gliders, horses etc., etc.) but I don't see the need to stop other participants when the vast majority of operations are carried out successfully..

Or, as one of my more colorfully necked acquaintances recently said,

"Y'all don't need ta' NUKE the gopher!"

You apparently did not read my post - go back and read it this time.

Tom
Old June 3rd 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:43:10 PM UTC-4, Walt Connelly wrote:
Before I send my letter to the FAA I'd like to ask if anyone has ever
attempted to get them to see the light and end the use of Schweizer
hooks on tow planes here in the land of the free and the home of the
brave. It is a well known fact and clearly stated in the SSA/SSF and
FAA circulars and literature that under certain conditions (the exact
condition that the tow pilot will need to release) that it can be near
impossible to release the glider. Tow planes have crashed, lives have
been lost and at the same time everyone knows that this is a dangerous
situation.

Along with the conversion to Tost hooks I'd like to see it made
mandatory that the release handles be up high, near the throttle and
quickly available to the tow pilot with adequate mechanical advantage. I
can assure you that one does not have the time to go ducking and
reaching and feeling for a handle down on the floor of a Pawnee while
the glider kites in back of you.

The idea of requiring nose hooks on all gliders does not seem to be
feasible although it has been brought up to me as something that needs
to be addressed. My understanding is that the CG hook is meant for
ground/winch launch operations, however I have probably done thousands
of CG hook aero tows with no problem. For the most part these are ships
being flown by the best and most aware pilots. I'd like more input from
experience pilots on this point.

I currently have a number of highly experienced pilots from all levels
of aviation in agreement with me and willing to help me in this cause.

If one life is saved as a result of this endeavor then it will be well
worth it.

Walt Connelly

--
Walt Connelly

There is no substitute for safety and this is what this is all about. Walt, you should not have to send the letter, but if so compelled, do so. The owner, manager or chief tow pilot should have made sure that those hooks were changed long ago. Now after the fact they are being changed!
Old June 3rd 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 20:36 31 May 2017, Walt Connelly wrote:

Andreas Maurer;947904 Wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2017 14:24:11 +0100, Walt Connelly
wrote:
-
and Germany had required special training for pilots
flying CG hooks on aerotow. -

.... which isn't required anymore.

Regards from Germany
Andreas

Thank you Andreas, I do believe I used the past tense "had."

That being said I understand from some highly reliable sources

that th
intended use of the CG hook was for ground launches. If you

think o
where a string is attached to a KITE, it is not attached to the nose,

is attached where it is attached for a reason. However it is not m
intention to cause any problems for the CG hook glider pilots ou
there....rather to give a fighting chance to the tow pilot to releas
quickly and effectively when the need arises. I have heard from to
pilots who will not tow a CG hook glider with a Schweizer on the to
plane.

I may be "Persona Non Grata" in the soaring world but I feel

compelle
to move forward in this endeavor. I have much work left to do.

--
Walt Connelly

You are right Walt. Back in the day when wooden gliders were the
norm they were fitted with so called "compromise" hooks. Not as far
back as a GoG hook but not on the nose either. I remember flying a
Slingsby T21 with a compromise hook on a cross country tow. I was
the trim, both hands and a foot holding the stick forward to stop the
nose pitching up. Many gliders were refitted with CoG hooks to gain
more height on a winch launch, little thought was given to
aerotowing.
On the subject of glider tow hooks, I have not seen a Pawnee in the
UK with anything other than a Tost release or a retracting towline.
Obviously the drawings exist to fit a Tost to a Pawnee. The
doomsayers alleging that this would be too difficult are being
somewhat disingenuous.

Old June 4th 17, 10:28 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND View Post
I, along with many others, agree with burt on this one walt. go through steve northcraft if you choose to pursue this further.

[...]

Who is Steve Northcraft and what authority does he have to affect the situation?

Walt
Old June 5th 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 5:43:09 PM UTC-7, Walt Connelly wrote:
ND;948042 Wrote:
[...]

He's just the chair of the SSA Government Liaison Committee.
Other than that Mrs Kennedy, how was Dallas?
Jim
Old June 5th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

ND;948042 Wrote:
[...]

Tried to PM Walt at an AOL address with Steve's contact info. SSA committees and member information are only visible when logged into the SSA web site.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 6th 17, 02:27 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiteley View Post
ND;948042 Wrote:
[...]

Frank,

I am in receipt of your email with Steve Northcraft's contact information. What exactly would you have me do? Submit my report to him for presentation to the FAA?

My problem is that I have found accidents as far back as 1999 which acknowledged that the tow hook release mechanism revealed the potential for binding of the release latch when the aircraft being towed moved significantly above the normal horizon position. (NTSB SEA99FA080) This among others and the acknowledgement in SSA, SFF (page 9 SSF Tow pilot training course and FAA Advisory Circular, Date 3/3/08 AC # 43.13.2B) that the release might fail to operate AT THE VERY MOMENT WHEN IT MIGHT SAVE THE TOW PILOT'S LIFE.

I can attest to the fact that these things can occur in the wink of an eye and at certain altitudes they will be potentially fatal regardless of the type of hook or release handle availability. That does NOT negate the fact that the tow pilot deserves a fighting chance to survive and should not be held captive to an antiquated system when that system is known to be prone to failure when needed the most. Been there, done that.

A Canadian soaring club 30 years ago recognized this problem as a result of an accident, they now have Tost hooks and a release up near the throttle as per Dave Springford.

The BGA recognized this problem and now it is mandated that the release handle be located close to the throttle and I am informed by reliable sources that Tost hooks are the norm.

So where is the SSA, SFF in this regard? What actions have they taken to recognize and correct this? I would be happy to put this in Steve's lap if I thought it would be properly addressed and acted on.

It is NOT my intention to inhibit in any way the soaring world here in the USA. My sole intention is to save the life of the next tow pilot who finds his or herself in a sudden kiting situation while down low with a Schweizer hook and an ineffective release handle.

Walt Connelly
Old June 6th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If aerotowing didn't have a half century plus history it would be impossible to start aerotowing in 2017. We should get with the times and switch completely to self launching or horse stretched bungees. The idea of tying two aircraft together and going flying is old tyme recklessness. We don't fly biplanes into barns or set up head on locomotive collisions for a laugh anymore. Likewise we shouldn't fly aircraft tied together. No towing means no towing fatalities. Perfect safety through abstinence is what the modern world demands.
Old June 7th 17, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:18:49 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
So practice that abstinence and stop flying.

Some of us lack self control to stay on the ground, we need Walt's letter to save us

from latest news letter on vulcan, hope it is of intrest to some of you if you dont get the news letter PAUL H Aviation Photos 0 January 27th 13 11:21 AM
A LETTER OF THANKS minimoa Soaring 0 September 14th 10 12:06 AM
Letter from TSA? Emily Piloting 14 August 14th 06 11:33 PM
A letter to a friend... Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com Naval Aviation 3 August 23rd 05 12:23 AM
Letter from TSA Rosspilot Piloting 2 November 20th 03 01:12 AM