A milestone and a couple of firsts in the Arrow today

Old April 18th 05, 05:50 AM
Jack Allison

Default A milestone and a couple of firsts in the Arrow today

1) I received my complex endorsement. Whoo hoo, I can not go out solo
in *my* airplane. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do so this week.
I'll probably go out and just focus on landings for a bit. It will be
my first time flying solo since last July. It's going to seem very
different with nobody in the right seat, especially since it will be my
first solo in a Piper.

2) I was able to carry my first passenger in the new plane as my wife
rode along with me and my instructor today. It was her first time in a
low wing and her first time flying in the Arrow. She liked it a lot.

3) I was able to legally touch some clouds on our way back to our
temporary home field (MCC, McClellan, CA). There had been a broken
layer hanging around the area as we departed and on our way back home,
we decided to do a practice VOR approach back to MCC. As we get closer
to home, we're looking right at the broken layer hanging around the area
so decided to get an IFR clearance. We were only in the clouds for a
minute but it was good practice to go through the procedure. It's been
a long time since I was in actual IMC conditions so I was able to
experience the "Gee, this is way different than being under the hood"
thing all over again. It's also been three weeks since I've had an
instrument lesson so just doing a practice VOR approach was a good thing
to get back into. Throw in a minute of IMC in the new plane and it was
even better.

4) I experienced washing and waxing a plane for the first time in my
life. Fortunately, my other two partners were present. It's
interesting the details you see while crawling around on a creeper under
your plane...not to mention how tired your arms can get when you work
the buffer on the bottom of the wings. It's nice to have N2104T all
clean and even shiner than before. We also worked the interior over
with some leather cleaner.

All things considered, not a bad way to spend a Sunday. I spent from
8:00 - 5:30 between three different airports and was able to make three
flights. A good day of aviating and enjoying the pride of ownership.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 18th 05, 01:10 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:50:14 -0700, Jack Allison
wrote:

4) I experienced washing and waxing a plane for the first time in my
life.

It is amazing how much surface area is on a small GA plane. Washing
and waxing is a long job.

Old April 18th 05, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

4) I experienced washing and waxing a plane for the first time in my life.
Fortunately, my other two partners were present. It's interesting the
details you see while crawling around on a creeper under your plane...not
to mention how tired your arms can get when you work the buffer on the
bottom of the wings.

"Buffer?"

That's why you have kids!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 18th 05, 05:15 PM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:
"Buffer?"

That's why you have kids!

Oh there *were* kids there Jay. Never mind that the three of them are
in their 40's. With two of the three of us as newbie owners, we're like
kids on Christmas morning as we step back and admire how N2104T shines
(and flies too!) :-)

Old April 18th 05, 06:31 PM
Cecil Chapman

Sounds just TOO COOL! :0)

Always, knew you were 'complex'. too! grin

Have fun and remember the 'Karate Kid' scene..... "Wax on,,,,,, wax off"
GRIN LOL! Who knows, a few more waxing sessions and you'll be a martial
arts expert! ;0)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old April 18th 05, 08:51 PM
Jack Allison

Cecil Chapman wrote:
Sounds just TOO COOL! :0)

Yes, it was too cool. Giddy new owners spending hours futzing with
their plane...yep, fun fun fun.

Always, knew you were 'complex'. too! grin

:-) I guess it's official now. I may be down in your neck of the woods
early next Month Cecil. I'll keep you posted if it comes together and
maybe have a chance to meet.

Have fun and remember the 'Karate Kid' scene..... "Wax on,,,,,, wax off"

That joke went around a couple of times yesterday. HUGE opportunity to
practice those "Karate" skills :-)

Old April 20th 05, 03:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Yes, it was too cool. Giddy new owners spending hours futzing with their
plane...yep, fun fun fun.

It's funny, we all laugh about it, but there is really is almost nothing
more enjoyable than goofing around at your hangar on a nice day, lavishing
elbow grease on *your* plane.

If there is a heaven, I'm hoping it looks just like my hangar on a sunny
June evening...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck