Toronto - Creston (BC) in Canada

Old March 13th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mic49

Default Toronto - Creston (BC) in Canada

Hello,

I'd like to ask you what is the best way to visit Creston (BC) in
Canada? As I know, I should fly from Toronto to Calgary and then - by
bus to Creston. But in Creston is a small airport, so maybe is there a
possibility to fly directly.

Mike
Old March 13th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gwengler

On Mar 13, 7:44*am, mic49 wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to ask you what is the best way to visit Creston (BC) in
Canada? As I know, I should fly from Toronto to Calgary and then - by
bus to Creston. But in Creston is a small airport, so maybe is there a
possibility to fly directly.

Mike

The airport is CAJ3, Creston (Art Sutcliffe Field). Info at
www.copanational.org, go to Places to Fly and British Columbia.
Gerd
Old March 13th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 13, 8:48 am, gwengler wrote:
On Mar 13, 7:44 am, mic49 wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask you what is the best way to visit Creston (BC) in
Canada? As I know, I should fly from Toronto to Calgary and then - by
bus to Creston. But in Creston is a small airport, so maybe is there a
possibility to fly directly.

Mike

The airport is CAJ3, Creston (Art Sutcliffe Field). Info atwww.copanational.org, go to Places to Fly and British Columbia.
Gerd

Creston is a small airport without, as far as I know, any
scheduled air service. The only option for flying into it would be to
rent an airplane in Calgary and do it yourself. However, I know of no
outfit that will rent an airplane for a solo flight through the
mountains to someone without that training and/or experience. The
risks are high due to the capricious weather in the Rocks and the ease
with which a flatlander can get lost. Every year the uninitiated get
into trouble there and some of them crash. Others get through but are
much wiser and more cautious afterward. And there are plenty of
airplanes in there that have never been found.

Dans
Old March 13th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gwengler

* * * * * Creston is a small airport without, as far as I know, any
scheduled air service. The only option for flying into it would be to
rent an airplane in Calgary and do it yourself.

I assumed that the OP wanted to fly himself since he posted in the
newsgroup "PILOTING".
Gerd
Old March 13th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 13, 1:02 pm, gwengler wrote:
Creston is a small airport without, as far as I know, any
scheduled air service. The only option for flying into it would be to
rent an airplane in Calgary and do it yourself.

I assumed that the OP wanted to fly himself since he posted in the
newsgroup "PILOTING".
Gerd

The implication was airline service into Creston, since he
was going to bus there from Calgary after flying to it from Toronto.

Dan
Old March 15th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WestCDA

It seems you are intending to go there via commercial airline service, in
which case you're posting in the wrong group - but Air Canada has scheduled
service (via Calgary) to Cranbrook, which is about an hour away from Creston
via road.

If you are actually licensed to fly in Canada, getting to their airport
means flying through the mountains, which is spectacular but can be
challenging. The Calgary Flying Club at CYBW offers mountain flying
training and checkouts, as well as rental aircraft. They will not rent the
latter without the former.

To answer your first question, 'flying' there (as opposed to 'being
flown/bussed there') is definitely the best way to visit