noise pollution from private planes

Old March 26th 05, 10:34 PM
Dale Alexander

So tell us again how you missed the part in the home-owner disclosure about
being under a traffic pattern? What? It wasn't in there? Maybe you shold sue
your realtor and the last owner of the house.

By the way...do you own a leaf blower? A riding mower? A Honda car with a
coffee can exhaust? A loud stereo? A barking dog? A garage band? A chain
saw?

Rodney (Can't we all just get along) King

"Falky foo" wrote in message
m...
Troll or not, he brings up a good point.

Fact is, he's posting to a group of people who are making all the noise.
It's like telling a Harley owner that motorcycles are just too damn loud.
In fact, each city has noise ordinances and if you and your neighbors get
together you can convince city councils to do just about anything. But

you
need to take the time and effort to do it. I have very sensitive hearing
and you can bet if some yahoos kept doing figure 8 above my house it would
drive me insane-- I'd do everything in my power to stop it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mower
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

Let's get some noise control on these small planes before we all go
crazy.

Old March 27th 05, 08:29 AM
Rob Turk

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Go make a donation to www.aviationtomorrow.com

They're working on an electric airplane. If you buy one for everyone, you
won't have to 'hear lawnmowers'

Most noise comes from the prop, not the engine. Without reading the article
I assume the electric plane will still require a prop, right?!?

Rob

Old March 27th 05, 08:11 PM
Jim Carriere

Rob Turk wrote:
"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Go make a donation to www.aviationtomorrow.com

They're working on an electric airplane. If you buy one for everyone, you
won't have to 'hear lawnmowers'

Most noise comes from the prop, not the engine. Without reading the article
I assume the electric plane will still require a prop, right?!?

That or a caterpillar drive using superconductors

"Give me one ping, one ping only"
Old March 27th 05, 11:08 PM
Ernest Christley

Falky foo wrote:
Troll or not, he brings up a good point.

Fact is, he's posting to a group of people who are making all the noise.
It's like telling a Harley owner that motorcycles are just too damn loud.
In fact, each city has noise ordinances and if you and your neighbors get
together you can convince city councils to do just about anything. But you
need to take the time and effort to do it. I have very sensitive hearing
and you can bet if some yahoos kept doing figure 8 above my house it would
drive me insane-- I'd do everything in my power to stop it.

"I don't like the noise other people are making" is never a good point.
It's just the typical whining and bitching that you expect from the
****y brats that a large portion of my fellow Americans have turned into.

Albeit, we better mind their whining, or Congress will be passing
special legislation to have us subpeoned to one of their hearings. It
would be good if we could do something to show that we're trying to be
good neighbors.

Try this idea. Sun'N'Fun cancled the "Sun 100" race this year.
Something about liability issues. But a 'get-there-first' isn't the
only type of competition possible. Fact is, there are a whole lot more
than can be much more interesting and involving of the participants.

1) Noise Competition: Put a sound meter in the middle of the runway.
Each entrant does a touch-n-go or three. Winner is the airplane makeing
the least noise. Stipulate things like "must climb to 300ft before end
of runway".

2) How about a fuel efficiency 'race'. Top of the tank, measure exactly
how much it requires to top off after running a course.

I was disappointed years ago when NASCAR decided to slow cars down with
restrictor plates. There was just so much more they could have done to
push technology forward. Like limit the amount of gas allowed for the
race. Not only would it have saved lives from gas being thrown all
around the pits, but race teams would try everything to make the cars
more aerodynamic and fuel efficient not just more powerful.

The could have limit the number of tire changes allowed. Even restrict
the cooling intake area, as more white smoke would be more entertaining
than a pack of cars all running around at exactly the same speed. All
things where teams would try different approaches to get an edge, push
technology, tax the driver's skill, and keep things intersting.

Is there any way we can do what NASCAR wouldn't? Create races that test
technology and not just the driver's ability to 'stick the curves'.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old March 28th 05, 12:27 AM
Montblack

("Ernest Christley" wrote)
snip
Is there any way we can do what NASCAR wouldn't? Create races that test
technology and not just the driver's ability to 'stick the curves'.

They're entering Turn 3

http://160.94.140.26/races.htm

.. ...and they're still entering Turn 3.

After this commercial break for our sponsors, we'll see the teams coming out
of Turn 3. Stay tuned.

Montblack :-)

Old March 28th 05, 05:21 AM
StellaStarr

Falky foo wrote:
Troll or not, he brings up a good point.

Fact is, he's posting to a group of people who are making all the noise.
It's like telling a Harley owner that motorcycles are just too damn loud.
In fact, each city has noise ordinances and if you and your neighbors get
together you can convince city councils to do just about anything. But you
need to take the time and effort to do it. I have very sensitive hearing
and you can bet if some yahoos kept doing figure 8 above my house it would
drive me insane-- I'd do everything in my power to stop it.

Yeah, "Falky Foo" (sheesh!), you're not a bleepin' troll, too.
Old March 30th 05, 04:18 PM
abripl

"....people who are making all the noise...."

Only airplanes make noise? I asume you never fly.

AND it would be more honest of the original poster to identify the city
that he is complaining about - to verify the "facts". Otherwise he is
just stiring up imaginary scenes to arouse unfounded suspicion and
hatred. Also, most people go to work during daytime when flight schools
are in operation. There seem to be inconsistencies in the "facts".

Old March 30th 05, 04:56 PM
Pete Schaefer

....noise to you, a symphony of pistons and propellers to me!

oups.com...

Old March 31st 05, 04:03 AM
Roger

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:56:12 -0800, "Pete Schaefer"
wrote:

...noise to you, a symphony of pistons and propellers to me!

Augmenters forever!

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

roups.com...

Old March 31st 05, 02:20 PM
Denny

A couple years back making the usual trek to Sun-N-Fun with my 1957
Apache, Fat Albert, which has exhaust augmenters and no mufflers, the
ground crew seemed to have totally misplaced the contemporary classic
camping area and wound up taxiing me for more than 20 minutes, weaving
back and forth through areas of the flight line, past the control tower
twice, complete with having to weave me between a flock of warbirds
being tugged onto the apron for the airshow... So, there I was
repeatedly locking one brake, and going full power on the opposite
engine to weave between and under the wingtips these great machines of
war, and making a lot of racket for a measly 150 HP... We finally got
parked after considerable maneuvering... As I was securing the plane
the announcer commented he was glad "that" was over... Then people
began drifting over, inquiring ,"How many horsepower does that thing
have? Jeez, you drowned out the speakers clear over in the tent
forums!", etc...
Augmenters forever, indeed...