B-17 at Hamilton AFB

Old May 30th 04, 04:45 AM
F9pnthr

Default B-17 at Hamilton AFB

I have a photo taken at Hamilton AFB in California in April, 1953. It's of a
B-17, probably a "G" because there's a circular plate where the chin turret
would have been. The upper surfaces are highly plished, the lower more dull and
oxidized. Unfortunately the view is of the nose and wings at a nearly head-on
angle, with the aircraft parked in a hangar, so there are no visible markings.
I recall being told at the time (I was all of 11) that it was a commander's
personal aircraft. General Alfred Kessler commanded the 4th Air Force there at
the time; I seem to recall that he flew B-17s during WW 2. Anyone have any
knowledge of this aircraft, or its fate?
Old May 31st 04, 11:24 PM
Merlin Dorfman

F9pnthr ) wrote:
: I have a photo taken at Hamilton AFB in California in April, 1953. It's of a
: B-17, probably a "G" because there's a circular plate where the chin turret
: would have been. The upper surfaces are highly plished, the lower more dull and
: oxidized. Unfortunately the view is of the nose and wings at a nearly head-on
: angle, with the aircraft parked in a hangar, so there are no visible markings.
: I recall being told at the time (I was all of 11) that it was a commander's
: personal aircraft. General Alfred Kessler commanded the 4th Air Force there at
: the time; I seem to recall that he flew B-17s during WW 2. Anyone have any
: knowledge of this aircraft, or its fate?

I know that very few B-17s were in good enough shape to be used
for personal transportation. (Col. Robert McCormick of the Chicago
Tribune had one of the few.)
http://www.time.com/time/time100/builder/other/wacky.html
A few were used by the Coast Guard for dropping life rafts,
but after WW II there were very few B-17s in use.

Old June 1st 04, 02:02 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message

I know that very few B-17s were in good enough shape to be used
for personal transportation. (Col. Robert McCormick of the Chicago
Tribune had one of the few.)
http://www.time.com/time/time100/builder/other/wacky.html
A few were used by the Coast Guard for dropping life rafts,
but after WW II there were very few B-17s in use.

The USAF operated the B-17 until 1960.

Old June 1st 04, 09:50 AM
WalterM140

A few were used by the Coast Guard for dropping life rafts,
but after WW II there were very few B-17s in use.

The USAF operated the B-17 until 1960.

I think the USAF operated an air/sea rescue version, not the CG.

The CIA had a few for black ops in the '50s. The Israelis had 3 they used in
the 1956 war.

Walt
Old June 1st 04, 02:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"WalterM140" wrote in message

I think the USAF operated an air/sea rescue version, not the CG.

They both did.

The B-17H was a B-17G modified for air rescue work. It had an air-droppable
lifeboat mounted between the chin and ball turrets. Over time, the armament
was dropped and some had a search radar mounted in place of the chin turret.
The designation was changed to SB-17G at some point, it remained in USAF
service until 1956.

The Coast Guard operated a similar modification of the B-17G as the PB-1G.

Old June 6th 04, 02:09 AM
Merlin Dorfman

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

: "WalterM140" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I think the USAF operated an air/sea rescue version, not the CG.
:

: They both did.

: The B-17H was a B-17G modified for air rescue work. It had an air-droppable
: lifeboat mounted between the chin and ball turrets. Over time, the armament
: was dropped and some had a search radar mounted in place of the chin turret.
: The designation was changed to SB-17G at some point, it remained in USAF
: service until 1956.

Pictures at http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/rescue/sb17.htm

: The Coast Guard operated a similar modification of the B-17G as the PB-1G.

Pictures at http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/Boeing_PB1.html
Any guesses as to where
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/gifs/PB1G_2.jpg was taken?