"I'm hit. I'm hit"

Old March 1st 04, 04:49 AM
ArtKramr

Default "I'm hit. I'm hit"

I'm Hit!, I'm Hit!

Bob slammed back his copilots seat and threw his hands over his face."I'm hit!
I'm hit!" he shouted. I whirled around to see Bob over my right shoulder from
my position in the nose. Bob was writhing in pain holding his head. Then Paul
came on the intercom, "There's no blood, you're not hit, get back up here and
help me on the rudders". "I'm hit. I'm hit." Bob shouted. "No you're not!" Paul
retorted. "Pull your seat forward and get back on the controls with me." Paul
was getting mad. We had just been hit and a 20mm round had come into the
cockpit. It bounced and ricocheted all over the cockpit, and when it was almost
out of steam it hit Bob right on the nose. But it was so weak that all it did
was swell his nose up to the size of a small grapefruit, but it didn't even
break the skin. But it really hurt. Bob finally pulled his seat forward and got
on the controls with Paul. After we landed Bob went on sick call. The flight
surgeon examined him and promptly kicked him out without treatment saying he
had men who really needed help and Bob wasn't one of them. And since the round
didn't even break the skin, poor Bob never even got a Purple Heart. For years
after that, very time we all got together, the moment we saw Bob we would all
say, "I'm hit. I'm hit." . And Bob would blush red, look shyly down and say "Aw
you guys...." I remember when Bob died I thought to myself, now he is really
hit.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old March 1st 04, 06:06 PM
Tarver Engineering

"John K. Marshall" wrote in message
Art,

Do you really have absolutely nothing else to do with your life than to

seek
pitifully some attention in newsgroups by posting the same old stories

over and
over?

**** off marshall. Who are you and why would we care?

Old March 1st 04, 08:45 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: "I'm hit. I'm hit"
From: "Tarver Engineering"
Date: 3/1/04 10:07 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

One that U never can forget. I think of it over and over everytime I think of
Bob. My absent friend who died too young.

Old March 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
Ed Majden

"John K. Marshall"
Do you really have absolutely nothing else to do with your life than to
seek
pitifully some attention in newsgroups by posting the same old stories

over and

These stories will be long lost soon enough! Veterans should be
encouraged to post their experiances.
Ed

Old March 2nd 04, 04:34 AM
George Z. Bush

Ed Majden wrote:
"John K. Marshall"
Do you really have absolutely nothing else to do with your life than to
seek
pitifully some attention in newsgroups by posting the same old stories over
and

These stories will be long lost soon enough! Veterans should be
encouraged to post their experiances.
Ed

You're absolutely right, Ed. How long do you think us old WWII guys will still
be around to post our stories? Some of us have undoubtedly already been reduced
to only cutting and pasting because arthritis has taken over our keyboards. So,
enjoy it while you've got it....in a couple of years or so, you probably won't
even have that much.

George Z.

Old March 2nd 04, 01:27 PM
mah

ArtKramr wrote:

Those of us who were there and remember must rush to record our memories. Time
is growing short.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art,

Thanks for trying to record and preserve history. The generals told
their stories in the 50's & 60's of the strategic decisions. Now, it's
time for the rest of the people in the conflict to speak of the life on
the tactical, day to day level.

Hopefully we will learn the lessons and seek out the stories from all
levels of each conflict. Not to glorify war. But to remember our
history and the path that was taken to get to where we are today.

MAH
Old March 2nd 04, 03:21 PM
ArtKramr

From: mah
Date: 3/2/04 5:27 AM Pacific Standard Time
ArtKramr wrote:

Those of us who were there and remember must rush to record our memories.

Time
is growing short.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art,

Thanks for trying to record and preserve history. The generals told
their stories in the 50's & 60's of the strategic decisions. Now, it's
time for the rest of the people in the conflict to speak of the life on
the tactical, day to day level.

Hopefully we will learn the lessons and seek out the stories from all
levels of each conflict. Not to glorify war. But to remember our
history and the path that was taken to get to where we are today.

MAH

Agreed. I am writing as fast as I can. (grin)