Soaring in Northern France

Old April 25th 04, 07:43 AM
G.Kurek

Default Soaring in Northern France

Hi,
Does anyone know of any soaring strips around LeHavre, Normandy in
Northern France? It looks like I'm going to stay here for another 2
weeks. Thanks
Old April 25th 04, 08:24 AM
Guillaume

Hi,

Check the french gliding federation's website at:

http://www.ffvv.org/oupratiquer/ou1.htm

It seems there are... ;-)
Have a nice time in France.

Guillaume

Old April 25th 04, 07:26 PM
G.Kurek

Thanks,
I found it one by just asking random people in the hotel - Aero-Club
De l'estuarie de la siene located about 20KM from LeHavre, went there
today and logged almost 2 hours in something similar to Schweizer
2-33, found bunch of very friendly and helpful people and they had an
open bar afterwards!! What more can you ask for?
Thanks for the input.

G.Kurek

Old April 25th 04, 09:39 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , G.Kurek
writes
Hi,
Does anyone know of any soaring strips around LeHavre, Normandy in
Northern France? It looks like I'm going to stay here for another 2
weeks. Thanks

I know there is a club at Abbeville. They were very helpful when a
fellow Brit had his car catch fire with all his money and his passport
in it in 1999.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old April 26th 04, 08:44 PM
Robert Ehrlich

"G.Kurek" wrote:

Thanks,
I found it one by just asking random people in the hotel - Aero-Club
De l'estuarie de la siene located about 20KM from LeHavre, went there
today and logged almost 2 hours in something similar to Schweizer
2-33, found bunch of very friendly and helpful people and they had an
open bar afterwards!! What more can you ask for?

I am rather curious about the kind of (presumably french) glider you
found similar to a Schweizer 2-33. Maybe it was a Bijave
(e.g. http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/bijave/wa30_20.jpg), although I find
it very different from the 2-33 (wood, metal frame and fabric instead of
metal, no struts, mid height wing instead of high wing) although performance
may be similar, but nevertheless higher, without chauvinism. Anyway the
web site of this club lists only this type and an ASK-21 as their two-seaters
and an ASK-21 is hardly similar to a 2-33.

BTW the nearby beautiful bridge (Pont de Normandie) is one of my favorite
turn points, although seldom used because of the sea breeze killing
the lift except in very rare circumstances.
Old April 27th 04, 08:20 AM
G.Kurek

Robert Ehrlich wrote in message ...
"G.Kurek" wrote:

Thanks,
I found it one by just asking random people in the hotel - Aero-Club
De l'estuarie de la siene located about 20KM from LeHavre, went there
today and logged almost 2 hours in something similar to Schweizer
2-33, found bunch of very friendly and helpful people and they had an
open bar afterwards!! What more can you ask for?

I am rather curious about the kind of (presumably french) glider you
found similar to a Schweizer 2-33. Maybe it was a Bijave
(e.g. http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/bijave/wa30_20.jpg), although I find
it very different from the 2-33 (wood, metal frame and fabric instead of
metal, no struts, mid height wing instead of high wing) although performance
may be similar, but nevertheless higher, without chauvinism.

My criteria of similarities whe old beaten trainer with some
fabric, with L/D around 24 (when it was new), easy to fly and
requiring a lot of rudder input to keep it centered. In that sens two
mentioned above are almost identical.

Anyway the
web site of this club lists only this type and an ASK-21 as their two-seaters
and an ASK-21 is hardly similar to a 2-33.

BTW the nearby beautiful bridge (Pont de Normandie) is one of my favorite
turn points, although seldom used because of the sea breeze killing
the lift except in very rare circumstances.

Yes bridge is nice but it costs 5 Euro to cross with the car and I
thought the tolls were high in US
Old April 27th 04, 07:20 PM
Robert Ehrlich

"G.Kurek" wrote:

Yes bridge is nice but it costs 5 Euro to cross with the car and I
thought the tolls were high in US

This is because we had to pay a lot of money to the US when the bridge
was built in order to be able to use GPS in high precision mode which
helped the 2 halves to meet preciseley in the middle :-)
Old April 27th 04, 08:09 PM
Robert Ehrlich

"G.Kurek" wrote:
My criteria of similarities whe old beaten trainer with some
fabric, with L/D around 24 (when it was new) ...

On the web site where I found the picture, there is also a joke
saying that Wassmer (the manufacturer) claimed the same L/D as
the Blanik, but ommitted to say the comparison was made with the
Blanik flying inverted.