Auto. engine >> vertical shaft power output

Old May 31st 05, 11:00 PM

Default Auto. engine >> vertical shaft power output

Anybody know of a bolt on device to get a vertical shaft output from a
100+ HP auto. engine? No transmission.

Current options:

1. A RWD car with IRS. Turn IRS 90 degrees and block one IRS output
shaft from turning.
Problem: Transmission weight and "crude" design.
2. Shaft drive motorcycle - turn the rear wheel axel shaft 90 degrees
to give a vertical shaft power output.

Old June 1st 05, 01:08 PM
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
ups.com...

Anybody know of a bolt on device to get a vertical shaft output from a
100+ HP auto. engine? No transmission.

Current options:

1. A RWD car with IRS. Turn IRS 90 degrees and block one IRS output
shaft from turning.
Problem: Transmission weight and "crude" design.
2. Shaft drive motorcycle - turn the rear wheel axel shaft 90 degrees
to give a vertical shaft power output.

3) Modify an auto engine to use a dry oil sump, run with crank
vertical.
4) Use an engine from a large outboard motor.

Old June 1st 05, 08:41 PM
Sla#s

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On 31 May 2005 15:00:27 -0700, "
wrote:

SNIP
I'd opt for option 2. There are many shaft driven bikes that have
100+ HP engines. My concern would be the torque more than anything.
I certainly woulnd' tuse the shaft drive unit off a cycle for anything
that flew - especially with me in it..

Use the Hughes option. Use a separate tube and bearing assy to do the
lifting and the drive shaft is only for power delivery.

Slatts

Old June 2nd 05, 01:13 PM
Steve R.

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

4) Use an engine from a large outboard motor.

Didn't B.J. Schramm try that in his early Rotorway designs? Wasn't too
successful from what I remember reading about. Of course, they do have the
modern 4-stroke outboards around these days. Might do better?

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old June 2nd 05, 07:16 PM
Steve R.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:13:19 GMT, "Steve R."
wrote:

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

4) Use an engine from a large outboard motor.

Didn't B.J. Schramm try that in his early Rotorway designs? Wasn't too
successful from what I remember reading about. Of course, they do have
the
modern 4-stroke outboards around these days. Might do better?

Speaking of B.J.....

What's going on with Helicycle since his death??

The web site is still active, www.helicycle.com.

I looked at it the other day. They seem to be doing Ok if you can believe
all the photo's of flying Helicycle's they've got posted.

I was privileged to meet B.J. on several occasions, not the least of which
was at the PRA Fun-Fly after he'd flown though the power lines during a demo
flight. I found him to be a very personable individual and a pleasure to
talk to. He will be missed.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.