US Sectional Chart Updates for Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Old May 23rd 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default US Sectional Chart Updates for Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

I've posted updated versions of the Salt Lake City and Las Vegas
charts on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info.

I do the whole batch of all the charts in the continental US once a
year, but (at least until I think of easier methods) it's too
expensive and time consuming to do them every charting cycle. If you
have a special need for a specific chart, feel free to email me
directly using the link on the site. I can probably accommodate some
special requests.

I've also done a bit of fine tuning in the way I do reprojections,
resulting in a little improvement in the sharpness of all the charts.

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old May 23rd 11, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 5/22/2011 8:01 PM, 2KA wrote:
I've posted updated versions of the Salt Lake City and Las Vegas
charts on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info.

I do the whole batch of all the charts in the continental US once a
year, but (at least until I think of easier methods) it's too
expensive and time consuming to do them every charting cycle. If you
have a special need for a specific chart, feel free to email me
directly using the link on the site. I can probably accommodate some
special requests.

I've also done a bit of fine tuning in the way I do reprojections,
resulting in a little improvement in the sharpness of all the charts.

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

When I opened your Twin Cities sectional in Geomapper, the image looks
like it is being view obliquely. The circles (compass roses around
VORs, etc) are elipses.

Why is that? What's the difference between the sectionals on your site
and the official sectionals you can download from the FAA for free?

--
Mike Schumann
Old May 23rd 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

As always Lynn, thanks so much for taking the time and making the
effort to do this service for all of us. I love your price!

Bruno - B4
Old May 23rd 11, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On May 22, 6:01*pm, 2KA wrote:
I've posted updated versions of the Salt Lake City and Las Vegas
charts on my website athttp://www.soaringdata.info.

I do the whole batch of all the charts in the continental US once a
year, but (at least until I think of easier methods) it's too
expensive and time consuming to do them every charting cycle. *If you
have a special need for a specific chart, feel free to email me
directly using the link on the site. *I can probably accommodate some
special requests.

I've also done a bit of fine tuning in the way I do reprojections,
resulting in a little improvement in the sharpness of all the charts.

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Lynn, thanks again for this great service.
When/how often do you update your databases (airports and airspace)?

Ramy
Old May 24th 11, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringpilot[_3_]

Lynn,

I appreciate your site very much, but the georeferenced sectionals are
available for everyone on
http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...chartlist_sect
Might save you some expense to just provide this link (while it works
(: )

Cheers,
Henryk

Old May 24th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/23/2011 4:54 PM, soaringpilot wrote:
Lynn,

I appreciate your site very much, but the georeferenced sectionals are
available for everyone on
http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...chartlist_sect
Might save you some expense to just provide this link (while it works
(: )

Lynn's sectionals work right away with SeeYou, but the FAA one I tried
did not.

How do you make the FAA sectionals work in SeeYou? When I attempt to
load the Phoenix North sectional, the SeeYou Remark column shows "not
calibrated". Also, the ones from the FAA site have the map legend on
them - will that show up in SeeYou?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old May 24th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringpilot[_3_]

Yes, conversion to SeeYou is another story. I do not use SeeYou. It
does nothing for me that Flight Display does not.

Cheers,
Henryk

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...ns/VFR/chartli....

Old June 28th 11, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Mike,

Sorry for taking something like four weeks to answer this. I won't
bore you with full explanation, but I just saw your message.

The quick answer to your question is that is how things look when you
view the lat/lon rectangular projection directly. My files really
aren't meant to be viewed in that way. Instead, they are intended as
input data for programs that require or prefer the rectangular
projection as the input format. The CMR versions are for seeYou, and I
use the TIFF versions mainly with Google Earth. If you follow the
instructions on my site for importing and viewing the sectionals into
Google Earth, you will see that the circles come out circular again.
Conversely, if you try to put a Mercator or Lambert projection into
Google Earth, the shapes get all distorted.

I'm not familiar with Geomapper. Do you mean Global Mapper? If so, try
setting Tools- Configure - Projection to something like Mercator. If
you do, you will see that the circles look normal.

There are two differences between my files and the ones you get straight
from the FAA. First, the FAA files are provided in the Lambert
Conformal Conic projection, which can't be used with programs like
SeeYou or Google Earth directly -- at least not with very good results.
Secondly, I trim off the edge material so that different sectionals
can be tiled together more or less seamlessly.

By the way, the FAA files are my source as well. I trim and reproject
them using a free package called FWTools.

For more information, study about the properties of different map
projections like Lambert, Mercator, etc.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old July 1st 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Lynn, thanks again for this great service.
When/how often do you update your databases (airports and airspace)?

Ramy

Ramy,

Sorry for the terribly belated response. The answer is that I update
airports and airspace every 56 days, in lock step with the FAA charting
cycle. The data is always current.

I'm only doing sectionals once a year, because my current method is
pretty time consuming. By next season I hope to have an automated way
of doing those as well, so that they will always be kept current too.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"