Strut on Cobra trailer

Old November 29th 12, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Strut on Cobra trailer

I have a 1999 Cobra trailer (Recently purchased). I believe the strut on the tongue is due for a service because it moves so easily that you can almost not back up because the brakes are applied. I looked for a lockout (Like on my old trailer and I could not find one. Can these struts be serviced or rebuild or do I need to order an entire new one. Ive been on the Williams site and did not find a rebuild kit.
Thanks
Kirk
Old November 29th 12, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:28:46 AM UTC-5, K wrote:
I have a 1999 Cobra trailer (Recently purchased). I believe the strut on the tongue is due for a service because it moves so easily that you can almost not back up because the brakes are applied. I looked for a lockout (Like on my old trailer and I could not find one. Can these struts be serviced or rebuild or do I need to order an entire new one. Ive been on the Williams site and did not find a rebuild kit. Thanks Kirk

Gas spring inside needs to be replaced. There is no rebuild kit for the gas spring.
UH
Old November 29th 12, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:28:46 AM UTC-8, K wrote:
I have a 1999 Cobra trailer (Recently purchased). I believe the strut on the tongue is due for a service because it moves so easily that you can almost not back up because the brakes are applied. I looked for a lockout (Like on my old trailer and I could not find one. Can these struts be serviced or rebuild or do I need to order an entire new one. Ive been on the Williams site and did not find a rebuild kit.

Thanks

Kirk

Hmmm,
I was under the assumption that preventing braking while backing up was acomplisher in the brake design.....ie. at the wheel on a Cobra trailer. The gas strut allows braking, it just modulates the application to prevent slamming on full braking. I'd pull a wheel and drum and take a look at the brake pads, return springs and other goodies in there.
JJ
Old November 29th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:51:34 AM UTC-5, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 29.11.2012 14:28, wrote: On Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:28:46 AM UTC-5, K wrote: I have a 1999 Cobra trailer (Recently purchased). I believe the strut on the tongue is due for a service because it moves so easily that you can almost not back up because the brakes are applied. I looked for a lockout (Like on my old trailer and I could not find one. Can these struts be serviced or rebuild or do I need to order an entire new one. Ive been on the Williams site and did not find a rebuild kit. Thanks Kirk Gas spring inside needs to be replaced. There is no rebuild kit for the gas spring. UH Actually, it's not a gas spring, it's just a damper. It can be replaced, but I would advise that you get yourself aquainted with the mechanics before taking it apart, or, better, find someone who has done it before. It is actually doable without special tools etc., but it is not trivial. Different types (Peitz, Knott, ALKO) hade different details to observe. If you want details, I need the type number of the tongue. -- Peter Scholz ASW24 JE

Given that it pushes the tongue back out when compressive force is removed, I would define as a spring. Trailer of this vintage likely has ALKO tongue..
UH
Old November 30th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Williams Soaring and Rex Mayes understand Cobra trailers as well as
anyone. They have most parts in stock. Give them a call.
www.williamssoaring.com
Old December 1st 12, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Tim Mara has very good instructions for this operation on the Wings and Wheels website.
The Spindelbergers will send you a replacement part, but as there were many tongue designs will need to know all the numbers stamped onto the trailer tongue.
Jim
Old December 1st 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 30, 2012 9:35:21 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Tim Mara has very good instructions for this operation on the Wings and Wheels website.

The Spindelbergers will send you a replacement part, but as there were many tongue designs will need to know all the numbers stamped onto the trailer tongue.

Jim

Thanks guys. Im gonna pull this thing apart next week. JS, thanks for pointing out the link on WW. Wasn't aware of it before.