Wrong pilot detained for TFR violation

Old August 9th 04, 03:02 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Welcome to the real world outside the beltline, Ron. Those are
window-dressing, puff-piece things that only a tiny, tiny minority give a
**** about. Adding extra security to a few high-risk targets hardly
translates into a loss of civil rights.

Nonsense. Police in Manhattan are walking their beats with submachine guns now. Every
5th car entering the city is stopped and searched. All trucks are stopped and
searched and are prohibited in much of the city. The owner of one of the HVAC dealers
on Long Island reports that this has cut the number of service calls he can handle in
half (basically destroying his business). He's typical of anyone with a large
vehicle. Commuters now have to allow about an extra hour every day for the security
checks, both on the street and at the office. If you were to drive the purple grape
anywhere around the area, it would be confiscated. Every law against unreasonable
search and siezure that has been passed in the last 30 years is now completely
ignored.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old August 9th 04, 03:04 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

By the way, you bragged once about how little the local Holiday Inn gives you for the

same money you charge for a suite. If you're charging Holiday Inn prices, you do NOT
have a luxury priced hotel. You have a moderately priced hotel. That basically means
that the recession is not going to be reflected in the number of rooms you rent.

He didn't say luxury-priced, he said luxury suites.

I know that, but he attempts to prove the economy is doing well by the fact that
people have the money to stay at his "luxury hotel". They have the money to do that
because it's a cheap hotel, even if it is a luxury hotel as well.

Old August 9th 04, 03:22 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Please try again, this time explaining what it's got to do with my starting
up a (thus far, successful) new business during the supposedly "crippling"
recession,

As you are well aware, you are living in a University town, Jay. State universities
usually boom during recessions. People who had intended to send kids elsewhere decide
that the home State school is good enough and cheaper. Graduates emerge from the
womb, take a look at the job market, and decide to pursue a Master's degree after
all. About the only businesses that do better than the schools are the bars, though
the most expensive of both tend to suffer.

That boom at the school is also reflected in good business for the service industries
in university towns. That's you. You're living in an oasis, but the economy in
general is as poor as the Times says it is.

And, yes, the reason your business is growing is because you provide value compared
to your competition. It's certainly not because the recession isn't real.

Old August 9th 04, 03:55 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Newps" wrote in message

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

Is that because as you get older you get more blind and deaf?

Nope, it's because my lifestyle gets better and better.

You thought that was a serious question?

Old August 9th 04, 03:55 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Can any American on this group back Eduardo's statement up with facts?
Anyone at all?

Personally, I haven't noticed one single, solitary iota of difference
between my pre-9/11 lifestyle, and my post-9/11 lifestyle, other than

pop-up
TFRs. And those effect very few pilots, who themselves represent less

than
1% of the populace.

It depends on where you live. In the NY area GA took a very big hit with
major restrictions closing the area for months, all sorts of security
restrictions (admitedly not all bad), and a large percentage of those pop-up
TFRs you mention.

Old August 9th 04, 03:57 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I was talking about the impact on Americans, Paul. I think it goes

without
saying that foreign nationals have come under much greater scrutiny since
9/11. This shouldn't come as any surprise, since they came under virtually
NO scrutiny prior to 9/11.

They would have had no idea what nationality I was. It was a domestic
flight from Chicago (though I wouldn't imagine there's airline service from
Cedar Rapids to London!).

Actually, if TSA DIDN'T question you, I'd be wondering what those extra 20
bodies in Cedar Rapids were doing all day... (Playing cribbage mostly, I
suspect.)

There are 20 of them?? Blimey. I suspect they were bored too.
They were pleasant enough. Was a bit strange that they didn't ask
me there and then why I was taking a photograph and followed me
out to knock on the taxi window just as we were about to drive off!
I would guess they would have hoped that I had driven off, then they
could just get back to their cribbage! :-)

As a European used to airline security, it only becomes annoying if
there are long queues. Flying BA from Dusseldorf is annoying because
BA have their own x-ray machines, so you have to go through two
lots of security. It made sense when the airport machines were the
old type, but now they've upgraded to (as far as I can tell) exactly
the same machines as BA use upstairs.

Paul

Old August 9th 04, 04:14 PM
Tom S.

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , "Tom S."
wrote:

liberty and lifestyle are the same?

Isn't yours?

two different concepts.

Yes...but the first determines the second.

not always. and not completely.

Pretty much always and completely...unless you're an aesthetic.

Let me see if I've got this right: Your lifestyle (or most peoples) wouldn't
be that much different if they lived in ...say, South America someplace?

Old August 9th 04, 04:18 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
the economy in
general is as poor as the Times says it is.

And, yes, the reason your business is growing is because you provide value

compared
to your competition. It's certainly not because the recession isn't real.

On a purely selfish note, if the US economy had been better
then the £$ rate may have meant my recent holiday would
have become unaffordable... :-)

Unfortunately, it means that it's too expensive for my US friends
to come to visit me... :-(

Paul

Old August 9th 04, 10:34 PM
Jack

Tom S. wrote:

[ liberty and lifestyle are the same] unless you're an aesthetic.

Though I am not "a guiding principle in matters of artistic beauty and
taste", I could be of course.

Let's take a look at the possible alternatives;

atheist -- Nope, not that either;
anesthetic -- Only when I really get off on a rant;
ascetic -- Not me, for sure!

In fact, liberty is necessary for the "American lifestyle", but then so
is money. If you want both, best to follow our example, but even an
ascetic needs the freedom to be left alone to pursue his principles,
especially since we tend to use the term to describe someone who
"renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline
as an act of religious devotion."

Jack
Old August 9th 04, 10:57 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Tom S."
wrote:

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , "Tom S."
wrote:

liberty and lifestyle are the same?

Isn't yours?

two different concepts.

Yes...but the first determines the second.

not always. and not completely.

Pretty much always and completely...unless you're an aesthetic.

can't agree.

Everyone has the same liberty here in the US. However, there
is a vast difference in lifestyles.

Let me see if I've got this right: Your lifestyle (or most peoples)
wouldn't
be that much different if they lived in ...say, South America someplace?

Many things affect lifestyle, not just liberty.

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"