US Senator proposes to ban NOAA from providing free weather information

Old April 22nd 05, 08:52 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 23rd 05, 01:34 AM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:52:57 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
::

Take a look at this part of the proposed bill:

Are you able to provide a link to the proposed bill?

Old April 23rd 05, 04:30 AM
Mike Rapoport

I am not really concerned that "I" or "We" (pilots) might have to pay. It
is wrong after funding all the weather research, observing stations,
satellites ect with taxpayer money to not make the results of that
investment availible to the people who paid for it...Everybody

Mike
MU-2

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
m...

Old April 23rd 05, 05:01 AM
leslie

Larry Dighera ) wrote:
: On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:36:31 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
: wrote in
: .net::
:
: He is pandering to commercial interests. That makes him a whore.
:
: Right. Our congressmen are supposed to represent the will of the
: people of this nation, not inanimate corporate entities.
:

Don't forget India...

http://www.usindiafriendship.net/con...ds/friends.htm
Friends of India in the US Senate

"U.S. Senate India Caucus
by Aziz Haniffa in Washington DC (March 31, 2004)

A new bipartisan organisation called 'Friends of India' has been
formed in the US Senate, similar to the 10-year-old Congressional
Caucus on India and Indian Americans in the US House of Representatives.

This is the first time in the history of the US Senate that a
country-focused caucus has been constituted and announcing its
formation was the driving force behind the move Senator John Cornyn, a
freshman Republican Senator from Texas who recently visited India.

Cornyn, who was the keynote speaker at the Second Annual Capitol Hill
Gala Dinner of the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
on Tuesday night following AAPI's two-day legislative conference, said
co-chairing 'Friends of India' in the US Senate would be Democratic
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

He said that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Tennessee Republican
and Minority Leader Thomas Dachle,South Dakota Democrat had also
agreed to become members of the Friends of India group and so had 18
other Senators from both sides of the aisle.

Cornyn said he 'undertook the job of creating an India Caucus in the
US Senate, because of the incredible experience I had in India and
because of the importance of US-India relations'.

"The response has been really outstanding across the political
spectrum to the formation of such a Caucus and to me that says a lot
to work on the good relationship we have in the Senate toward
promoting ties between our two democracies," he said.

Cornyn acknowledged that it was unfortunate that over the years, and
particularly during the Cold War years, despite both the US and India
being democracies with so much in common 'did not have good
relations', and described it 'as an accident of history', which has to
be put right. "We have to make up for lost time," he said.

Indian Ambassador Lalit Mansingh who has been promoting the idea of
the Friends of India Caucus in the US Senate among Indian American
groups said he was ecstatic over the news.

Mansingh, who was also present at the AAPI dinner, as Cornyn was
announcing the launch, said he had been in touch with the Senators and
others over forming such a group. He told rediff.com: "I have to
commend all the Indian leaders of the Indian American community that
finally made this happen."

"Cornyn came back very charged after his trip to India and said 'I
want to do something to promote US-India relations' and so we said
'this is something you can do'," Mansingh said. "So we were in contact
with him."

"Even though he was aware of the formation of such a group I wanted
them to say it," Mansingh said. He said there would be a formal
launch.

It is believed that some of the most powerful and influential
lawmakers like Senator Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Judiciary
Committee, Charles Grassley, head of the Finance Committee, Thad
Cochran,chairman of the Appropriations Committee -- all Republicans --
and leading Democrats like Senators Paul Sarbanes, Joe Lieberman, and
Edward M Kennedy have all enthusiastically agreed to be part of the
'Friends of India' Caucus.

Members of Senate Caucus

John Cornyn, Senator Who Made the Difference"

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old April 23rd 05, 08:10 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 29th 05, 03:58 PM
Sport Pilot

Mike Rapoport wrote:
"Sport Pilot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Santorum is a liberal. Old country club Republican lefty. A

leftover
from when the Democrats were conservative and the Repbulicans were
liberials.

What does liberal or conservative have to do with this issue. He is
pandering to commercial interests. That makes him a whore.

Mike
MU-2

No. Actually Santorium is doing his job as a conservative. Less
government means that private business would do this. The fact that
they may charge more money, or not do the job as effectively, should
not be a factor. That said I do not believe in conservatism for it own
sake. If the government has been doing a good job then perhaps it
should be bid out to both the government and the weather service,
similar to the way many government sectors are contracted out.

Old April 29th 05, 06:34 PM
Peter Duniho

"Sport Pilot" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike Rapoport wrote:
What does liberal or conservative have to do with this issue. He is
pandering to commercial interests. That makes him a whore.

No. Actually Santorium is doing his job as a conservative. Less
government means that private business would do this.

No. If the private business were providing all of the data from scratch,
your point might hold. But AccuWeather (the company who bought this bill)
obtains their data from the NWS. The NWS still has to do the work; the bill
simply mandates a middle-man, blocking the people who have already paid for
the data from getting it at no additional cost.

That's hardly a true conservative attitude. Granted, those who call
themselves conservative these days, aren't very much any more. But Mike's
characterization is more apt than any "liberal vs conservative" take on the
issue.

I do find it amusing that you would initially say that "Santorum is a
liberal", but that he is "doing his job as a conservative". I guess that's
just par for the course on Usenet.

Pete

Old April 30th 05, 02:00 AM
George Patterson

Sport Pilot wrote:

No. Actually Santorium is doing his job as a conservative. Less
government means that private business would do this.

Not so. Accuweather doesn't actually do any of the things the NWS does. All this
bill does is force the NWS to turn over data that we have already paid for to
Accuweather so that Accuweather can levy a surcharge.

If the bill forced Accuweather to hire a bunch of meteorologists and generate
the data themselves, I'd say "go to it", but the bill simply mandates taking
something I already own and forcing me to pay someone else to get it back.
That's theft, plain and simple.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 30th 05, 10:58 PM
Repo Man

[This followup was posted to rec.aviation.piloting and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article .com,
says...
Santorum is a liberal. Old country club Republican lefty. A leftover
from when the Democrats were conservative and the Repbulicans were
liberials.

Santorum is a pointy headed loony.
Old May 1st 05, 12:36 AM
George Patterson

Repo Man wrote:

Santorum is a pointy headed loony.

No, he seems to be what has become a rarity these days -- an honest politician.
Once he's bought, he stays bought.