High wing to low wing converts...or, visa versa?

Old January 20th 05, 02:58 AM
Matt Barrow

"xyzzy" wrote in message
PaulaJay1 wrote:

I like the 2 doors better but don't think that is a high/low wing

question.

Actually it is, most low-wings have only one door because they don't
want to spend the money and weight to reinforce a wing-walk on both wings.

I think the only two door low wing (other than the newer models) is the
Commander 112/114/115, right?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 20th 05, 03:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Try it in a biplane. Damn near everything is invisible then!

Yeah, in my whopping 0.6 hours of biplane time (a Stearman), I was surprised
to find that visibility really sucked.

I expected to see more from an open-cockpit, I guess -- not less.

Still, it was a gas to fly!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 05, 03:06 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm only 5' 2" and need 2" cushions to see over the cowling and to
reach the pedals in both high wings (150/152/172/177, Champ) and low
wing (Tiger). I don't recall ever losing sight of the runway turning
base to final either.

Interesting. When I fly a high wing, the runway always disappears in
turns. (I'm 6' tall.)

Of course, your Cardinal's wing is mounted properly, so that the runway
environment *never* disappears. Which is why the Cardinal was on my short
list of aircraft when I first started looking for an airplane.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 05, 03:09 AM
Jay Honeck

I also prefer the vernier controls to the quadrant controls in the Piper.

Isn't that odd? I find vernier controls annoying in the extreme.

"To each, his own..."

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 05, 03:19 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I also prefer the vernier controls to the quadrant controls in the

Piper.

Isn't that odd? I find vernier controls annoying in the extreme.

"To each, his own..."

;-)

I guess I never got used to them, but they remind me of using my lawn mower.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 20th 05, 04:39 AM
Jim Rosinski

Hilton wrote:

turn). I still fly 172s (I really like flying them), but I'm extra

cautious
and sometimes move my shoulder harness off my shoulder and lean way

forward
to try peer around the corner.

I installed inertia-reel shoulder harnesses (BAS) in my 172 mainly for
comfort. But the ability to lean forward, particularly in the pattern
for visibility, was worth the price in itself.

Jim Rosinski

Old January 20th 05, 04:52 AM
jsmith

TRIM!!!
TRIM!!!
TRIM!!!
The 182 (and other such aircraft) are flown with trim controls.
Set the proper trim prior to taking the runway, add power and with a
gentle tug, the airplane flys off the runway.
Adjust the elevator trim for climb airspeed and the rudder trim to
center the ball.
Level off for cruise, readjust the pitch and yaw trims after setting power.
To descend, reduce power (or set down trim if you can stay out of the
yellow arc with power) and readjust rudder trim.
What are you doing that requires large control inputs?

Jay Honeck wrote:
She was impressed with the interior room of the Skylane, but, being just 5
feet tall, she found the Cessna to be too "tall" for her comfort (I.E.: the
seating and panel position restricted her forward visibility too much, even
with a pillow) -- and she absolutely despised the 182's truck-like handling
characteristics.

Old January 20th 05, 04:59 AM
Hilton

xyzzy wrote:
There are so many other factors involved, even though this probably is
somewhat true, it's impossible demonstrate - can you really tell when

the
induced drag lowers by a couple of % (the diff between a high-wing and
low-wing). Also, nitpicking, but since ground effect causes a nose down
pitching moment, you could argue it tends to 'harden' the landing.

Good point. My experiences are c172 and warrior. I just know that I
float more in the Warrior, and that it's much easier to land smoother in
the Warrior. I think low-wing definitely explains the float, but the
smoother landing could very well be the inflated struts landing gear of
the warrior vs. the stiffer legs on the 172. The highwing/lowwing
probably is a smaller factor than that.

Since I don't have usable performance numbers, what follows is speculation
on my part: I think the apparent added float occurs for two reasons:

1. Pilots fly the POH approach speed which is for the plane at gross. But
when landing, they're lighter, so need to fly slower.

2. Pipers have completely different flaps to Cessnas. Cessnas have the
barn door flaps, so that by itself probably does cause less float.

I think the only way to do this experiment properly would be to move the
wings on a specific plane, but the FBO might not like it.

Hilton

Old January 20th 05, 02:58 PM
jsmith

Two things to reduce "float" on landing...
1.) slow down
2.) after roundout, take out one notch of flaps while pulling the yoke
back to maintain pitch attitude.

Old January 20th 05, 03:02 PM
jsmith

Check the C172 manual under EMERGENCY PROCEDURES.
Some models contain a caution/warning against slipping with 30 degrees
of flaps.

xyzzy wrote:
There is no "slip with flaps" or not controversy in a low-wing plane.

Matt Whiting wrote:
What controversy? You can do it if it isn't prohibilted. I don't know
about all Cessna models, but I don't think that all have this prohibition.

Newps wrote:
None do.

High wing vs low wing temp Owning 11 June 10th 04 02:36 AM
High Wing or Low Wing Bob Babcock Home Built 17 January 23rd 04 02:34 AM
End of High wing low wing search for me dan Home Built 7 January 11th 04 11:57 AM
Canard planes swept wing outer VG's? Paul Lee Home Built 8 January 4th 04 09:10 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM