Aircraft that never lived up to their promise

Old November 30th 03, 09:43 PM
ArtKramr

Default Aircraft that never lived up to their promise

I'll start that one off with the P-39 Aircobra. Any more?

Regards,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old November 30th 03, 09:59 PM
Keith Willshaw

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
I'll start that one off with the P-39 Aircobra. Any more?

Regards,

Boulton Paul Defiant
Supermarine Swift
Avro Manchester (although the Lancaster did in spades)
Fairey Battle

Keith

Old November 30th 03, 10:11 PM
user

F7-U Cutlass,,,over 160 delivered in the 50's,,,,WAY under
powered...weighed over 30,000 lbs and only had 4000 lbs thrust each
outta 2 J46's. and therefore WAY dangerous...Awesome one on display at
the Naval Aviaition Museum in P'cola.

Old November 30th 03, 10:37 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
user wrote:

F7-U Cutlass,,,over 160 delivered in the 50's,,,,WAY under
powered...weighed over 30,000 lbs and only had 4000 lbs thrust each
outta 2 J46's. and therefore WAY dangerous...Awesome one on display at
the Naval Aviaition Museum in P'cola.

On 30 Nov 2003 20:43:58 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:

I'll start that one off with the P-39 Aircobra. Any more?

Regards,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

The classic turkey: The Fisher XP-75 Eagle -- supposed to become an
escort fighter, built from parts of several production aircraft.

Mc Donnell F3H-1 Demon -- like the "gutless Cutlass," underpowered,
designed to be supersonic.

Martin P5M Seamaster ("Seamonster") jet Medium bomber seaplane.

Convair XFY-1 VTOL fighter, along with the Lockheed XFV-1 -- both
tailsitters. Pilots found the transition from flight to tail-first
vertical landing too hard to do.
Old November 30th 03, 11:22 PM
Peter Kemp

Westland Whirlwind (one of my favourites)
TSR.2

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster
Old December 1st 03, 12:11 AM
Tarver Engineering

"machf" wrote in message
On 30 Nov 2003 20:43:58 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:

I'll start that one off with the P-39 Aircobra. Any more?

Would the F-22 fit in this category, or is it too early to tell yet?

That is pretty much up to the galloping dominoes now.

Old December 1st 03, 12:13 AM
Chad Irby

In article

The classic turkey: The Fisher XP-75 Eagle -- supposed to become an
escort fighter, built from parts of several production aircraft.

One of the first real proofs that you can make all sorts of things fly
with a big enough engine.

Mc Donnell F3H-1 Demon -- like the "gutless Cutlass," underpowered,
designed to be supersonic.

....and the corresponding "with a poor engine, any plane can be a piece
of crap."

Martin P5M Seamaster ("Seamonster") jet Medium bomber seaplane.

P6M. The P5M was the Marlin. (Although the P6M was based off of the
P5M). And let's not forget the corresponding fighter, the cool-looking
but problematic Sea Dart - I would have loved to see one of these in the
air.

Convair XFY-1 VTOL fighter, along with the Lockheed XFV-1 -- both
tailsitters. Pilots found the transition from flight to tail-first
vertical landing too hard to do.

Oddly enough, the tailsitter designs are coming back... without the
pilots. Some of the more promising UAVs look much like the pogo planes,
since the computers running them have much less trouble dealing with
that transition than people do.

For some reason, many pilots don't like trying to land an aircraft while
lying on their backs.

There are so many wonderful example of planes that sucked...

The XA2D Skyshark, which showed that early turboprops often weren't
ready for prime time, and reminded us that contrarotating props had
their own issues.

Then there's the slow but loud XF-84H, with a turboprop engine and a big
fat prop up front. Which shows that you can screw up anything if you
try hard enough.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old December 1st 03, 12:26 AM
Darrell A. Larose

ArtKramr ) writes:
I'll start that one off with the P-39 Aircobra. Any more?

A.V. Roe Canada CF-105 Avro Arrow, a long range interceptor that only had
a 700 nm range. The is bearly enough to fly from CFB Cold Lake to
Whitehorse, Yukon. The concept as a interceptor that would meet a wave of
Soviet bombers over the high Arctic, but didn't have the legs to get there!

I was big, white and pretty... but I am one Canadian who the more I read
about it the poorer the a/c ends up being. In design during the same
period was Lockheed's A-11, A-12 and SR-71.

Old December 1st 03, 12:39 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:04:18 -0500, machf
wrote:

On 30 Nov 2003 20:43:58 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:

I'll start that one off with the P-39 Aircobra. Any more?

Would the F-22 fit in this category, or is it too early to tell yet?

Definitely not. It's met or exceeding all of it's requirements.
Unless that's how *you* define a loser.