ADF and GPS equip %

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 1st 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ADF and GPS equip %

"Peter" wrote in message ...

"Julian Scarfe" wrote

Really? Is it common to attempt to plan a flight and be unable to find a
sensible alternate that has an ILS, VOR or radar approach without a DME
requirement?

Not having done a survey of U.S. approach plates, I have no idea,
which is why I was posting, seeking a comment from the residents here,
who are nearly all American.

A DME seems a useful thing relative to the panel space and cost,
whereas many would agree an ADF is much less useful.

There are still parts of the world where NDBs are the only en route
navaids receivable, but that isn't going to bother most people reading
this.

Peter, I'm one who worried about removing my DME, but I did so, anyway.
It has turned out to be a non-issue, at least partly because:
1. My CNX80 displays horizontal distance to its tuned VOR station.
2. My CNX80 displays distance to the runway for approaches.
(That's separate from the distance to the next waypoint on an approach.)
I think I did the right thing by keeping my ADF and removing my DME.