Volkslogger + Mac

Old April 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Wouter Wessels

In article ,
Robert Ehrlich wrote:

Wouter Wessels wrote:
Yeah, you'd wanna know wouldn't you ... ;-)

Before I started the GeoPS project, I did some searching and found a
project: kflog: http://www.kflog.de/

That project is an Open Source project that does contain Volkslogger
support. I found that the basic Volkslogger functions worked for me, but
this Volkslogger code is not very good. I have had some serious trouble
getting it to work on a Mac, but now it does.

I'd suggest you take a look at that kflog project. It looks like a very
solid application that has features that seem very useful, like Maps,
Terrain Elevation and Airspace support.
I even tried to port this app to Mac, because Mac OS X is a Unix too,
but I did not succeed (yet).

Thanks for this answer. I was aware of kflog, but never used it since
up to a recent date I didn't have a sufficient recent computer for
running KDE. Anyway my ambition is much lower than a software like
kflog. I want just to have a program downloading the logger to an
IGC file, without graphical interface (much to complicate to program
for me) and possibly verifying that the turnpoints were correctly
rounded and computing the average speed per leg and general if
there is a declared task. This is what I did for my Garmin 12 using
the current route as a declared task.

What I meant to say is that that project contains code that talks to the
Volkslogger.

Wouter

Old April 11th 05, 07:20 AM
fw.unt

Hi

I also own Macs. I tryed the kflog and remastered a KNOPPIX for KFLOG
use.
I also tryed to compile the kflog on OS X 10.3.8 with fink. The only
problem I have is to update the configs for libtool 1.5x. It is
written for an old 1.3 version and OS X claims to have problems with
older version than 1.5.
Maybe you have an idea how to do that?
I have all object files compiled - it only needs to link.

The KFLOG is a 'poor-mans-STREPLA or SEEYOU' and really great. It also
has the cumulus for Linux on the IPAQ.

Cheers FW.

Old April 13th 05, 10:01 PM
Wouter Wessels

In article ,
(fw.unt) wrote:

Hi

Hi FW!

I also own Macs. I tryed the kflog and remastered a KNOPPIX for KFLOG
use.
I also tryed to compile the kflog on OS X 10.3.8 with fink. The only
problem I have is to update the configs for libtool 1.5x. It is
written for an old 1.3 version and OS X claims to have problems with
older version than 1.5.
Maybe you have an idea how to do that?
I have all object files compiled - it only needs to link.

No, but I now somebody who tried it and got as far as compiling it,
using Fink and he even could run it, but when he tried to connect to a
logger kflog did not recognize the shared objects that the logger
implementations were in ...
Please mail me if you want me to get you in touch with him ... (please
do not analyse that sentence!)

He asked me for help too but I told him that I tried too ... and failed
long before I reached where he (or you) have gotten.

The KFLOG is a 'poor-mans-STREPLA or SEEYOU' and really great. It also
has the cumulus for Linux on the IPAQ.

From the screen shots on the kflog page, I think it looks good.
But as you are the 3rd person that cannot get it to run on Mac, I guess
it must be a bit awkward ... to say the least. So I am not sad I did not
continue. Maybe I will try again ... but if I see how many libraries you
have to download before it starts to even configure the make environment
.... I get cold shivers down my spine :-(

By the way ... I do not like SeeYou.
It does 'most of the things that yyou want', but does em poorly ... but
then again ... it runs on Windows, so actually it fits right in ;-)

Cheers,

Wouter

Old April 14th 05, 07:34 AM
fw.unt

Hi Wouter

No, but I now somebody who tried it and got as far as compiling it,
using Fink and he even could run it, but when he tried to connect to a
logger kflog did not recognize the shared objects that the logger
implementations were in ...
Please mail me if you want me to get you in touch with him ... (please
do not analyse that sentence!)

I would apriciate it to get the binary or connection to the guy. I
don't use it for transfer only for analysing. No problem for me. Maybe
that is the mentioned problem with libtool. It fit all these kflog
specific objects together. Does he use a serial2usb adpter to connect
to volkslogger? I own one from Aten an it works very good with my
IBook G3/600. I read also about connection problems with other
software.

From the screen shots on the kflog page, I think it looks good.
But as you are the 3rd person that cannot get it to run on Mac, I guess
it must be a bit awkward ... to say the least. So I am not sad I did not
continue. Maybe I will try again ... but if I see how many libraries you
have to download before it starts to even configure the make environment
... I get cold shivers down my spine :-(

With fink it is not that hard to get all these libs - all is
downloadable with the fink comander. Two or three lib were to old and
I compiled them new to fink directory.

By the way ... I do not like SeeYou.
It does 'most of the things that yyou want', but does em poorly ... but
then again ... it runs on Windows, so actually it fits right in ;-)

Do you know Flighttrack for the MAC (just ggole). It's from a french
pilot and really cool, but not the same stile like kflog or the
windooz softs.

Cheers FW.
Old April 14th 05, 10:05 PM
Wouter Wessels

Hi FW,

Hi Wouter

No, but I now somebody who tried it and got as far as compiling it,
using Fink and he even could run it, but when he tried to connect to a
logger kflog did not recognize the shared objects that the logger
implementations were in ...
Please mail me if you want me to get you in touch with him ... (please
do not analyse that sentence!)

I would apriciate it to get the binary or connection to the guy. I
don't use it for transfer only for analysing. No problem for me. Maybe
that is the mentioned problem with libtool. It fit all these kflog
specific objects together. Does he use a serial2usb adpter to connect
to volkslogger? I own one from Aten an it works very good with my
IBook G3/600. I read also about connection problems with other
software.

I will mail him your mail address (if the mail address in your posts is
correct) and ask him to contact you ...

From the screen shots on the kflog page, I think it looks good.
But as you are the 3rd person that cannot get it to run on Mac, I guess
it must be a bit awkward ... to say the least. So I am not sad I did not
continue. Maybe I will try again ... but if I see how many libraries you
have to download before it starts to even configure the make environment
... I get cold shivers down my spine :-(

With fink it is not that hard to get all these libs - all is
downloadable with the fink comander. Two or three lib were to old and
I compiled them new to fink directory.

I might try that once, but first I would like to fly a bit after one
winter of programming GeoPS for 20 hours a week ... and having a job ...
and some glider maintenance ...

By the way ... I do not like SeeYou.
It does 'most of the things that yyou want', but does em poorly ... but
then again ... it runs on Windows, so actually it fits right in ;-)

Do you know Flighttrack for the MAC (just ggole). It's from a french
pilot and really cool, but not the same stile like kflog or the
windooz softs.

Yes, I know FlightTrack, I do like it too. I have emailed with the
developer. Nice guy.
Every programmer/designer/company has his own style ... which is good
and bad ;-)

Wouter

Cheers FW.