Why is ADF required on ILS approach?

Old July 27th 03, 01:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

You're entitled to your view, of course. But, the "ADF REQUIRED"
note is a procedural data equipment note issued as part of an
amendment to 14 CFR 97.

Can you cite a source for that?

If in doubt, all the manager of AVN-100 and ask him whether the note is
advisory in nature. Also, AFS-400 many have a view somewhat
different than your's.

I'm not looking for another opinion, I'm looking for something definitive.

Old July 10th 03, 10:37 PM
Scott

I was looking at this approach plate for my home field
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...l/ELD_ir22.pdf
And the ILS plate is marked ADF required? Why is that?

Looks like the NDB is part of the missed approach. You still don't need
an ADF, but only IF you have a /G approved GPS. (Though, you would still
need an ADF if this was an IFR alternate. For alternates - even if /G -
you need to have all the 'steam guage' equipment required for the
approach.

Scott
Old July 13th 03, 01:44 PM

Dave Butler wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Gig Giacona" wrote in message

So this means I will need to install and ADF in the plane I'm building in
order to use the ILS approach?

Not necessarily. GPS can substitute for ADF and ATC can sometimes issue
alternate missed approach instructions.

I think the alternate missed approach instructions still don't relieve the pilot
of the requirement to have all the equipment mentioned in the title of the
approach chart. Of course, no enforcement action unless there's an incident.

The naming convention in TERPS was changed about 3 years ago to shorten titles, so
that they fit better in RNAV databases. Thus, what is required for an ILS approach,
for instance, is what is implied by the title and what is stated by any equipment
notes, such as "ADF required," etc.

Formerly, when DME was mandatory on an ILS approach the title would be ILS/DME, but
for any auch approach revised in the past couple of years, or in the future it will
state ILS in the title, then there will be an equipment note "DME required."

And, alternate missed approach procedures are not charted, thus generally known only
to the ATC facility, when they even exist. Even if a pilot knew such alternate
missed approach procedure existed, it is not a reality unless the controlling ATC
facility assigns it once you're in their airspace and under their control.