Marfa Wave Soaring Camp 2005

Old March 20th 05, 03:10 PM

Default Marfa Wave Soaring Camp 2005

Marfa, West Texas, USA
March 19, 2005

The annual Marfa Spring Wave Soaring Camp began this weekend with
lenticular clouds in every quadrant. In March and April, steady SW
winds over the mountains in Mexico may generate the wave downwind near
Marfa. Sailplanes thermal up to cloudbase (15,000' msl) and then
contact the wave. Our Wave Window with ATC allows climbs to 30,000'
msl. Marfa Airport (MRF) is on a grassy plateau at 5,000' msl, located
between Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend National Parks.

Soaring legend Dick Johnson is the mentor to more than 30 glider
pilots, and dual instruction is available from Burt Compton at "Marfa
Gliders". The Camp dates are March 19 - 26, 2005.

We soar year-round at Marfa in west Texas, so come visit us for
"personal best" flights, basic to advanced glider training and FAA
Practical Tests.

Marfa was the site of the 1970 World Soaring Contest and where "The Sun
Ship Game" soaring movie was filmed.

We'll show you a good time!

Burt Compton, Master SSA Instructor / FAA Designated Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
website: www.flygliders.com
email:

Old March 21st 05, 02:45 AM
Larry Pardue

The annual Marfa Spring Wave Soaring Camp began this weekend with
lenticular clouds in every quadrant.

I flew down to Marfa today to see what was going on. When I counted there
were about 25 glider amidst the coming and going.

Dick Johnson said he got to 16,900 MSL yesterday in thermal wave. By the
time I left today (early) Dick again had the highest altitude at 12,900 in
wave.

It was breezy today and is expected to be windy tomorrow; maybe too windy to
fly.

I took a few snapshots, for whomever might be interested in this unearthly
place.

Dick Johnson
http://n5lp.net/DickS.Jpg
Large Version (beware dialup)
http://n5lp.net/DickB.Jpg

John Bourland
http://n5lp.net/BourS.Jpg
Large
http://n5lp.net/BourB.Jpg

http://n5lp.net/XwindS.Jpg
Large
http://n5lp.net/XwindB.Jpg

http://n5lp.net/ParaS.Jpg
Large
http://n5lp.net/ParaB.Jpg

Burt's 180/150
http://n5lp.net/150S.Jpg
Large
http://n5lp.net/150B.Jpg

Self Launch Russia
http://n5lp.net/RussiaS.Jpg
Large
http://n5lp.net/RussiaB.Jpg

http://n5lp.net/TowS.Jpg
Large
http://n5lp.net/TowB.Jpg

Larry 2I PW-5

Old March 24th 05, 02:46 PM

Marfa Camp Update on Thursday, March 24, 2005.

More than thirty sailplanes have been flying everyday except Monday,
when the wind at the surface was too strong for comfortable ground
handling. Best soaring flights so far exceed Gold badge altitude to
about 17,000' msl (Marfa is at 5,000' msl), although our ATC "Wave
Window" allows climbs to 30,000' near the Davis Mountains, just north
of Marfa. We must thermal up to the wave - and the lennies indicate
wave is working. Keep in mind that we soar at Marfa year-round, not
just in the windy spring, so come visit - especially May thru
mid-August, when the thermals are fantastic and the scenery is
wonderful.

Last night was our Texas-style brisket BBQ at the Marfa Gliders hangar.
Tonight I will present our "Soaring Film Festival" in the restored
Hotel Paisano ballroom, featuring slides and movies of past Marfa
soaring events along with "The Sun Ship Game", which was filmed here
during the legendary 1969 contest.

Bring your sailplane to Marfa - we'll show you a good time!

Aerotows, basic to advanced training and FAA "checkrides" available
year-round.

Burt Compton, Master Flight Instructor / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
website: www.flygliders.com